Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years. It has been quite some time since I previously tried this. An exceptional DIPA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow, 10 Bitter Years! I must come back to that.

Having a 500ml bottle of Stone City Party Bus Pale Ale from the brewery. Excellent! This is kind of a Vermont presentation but a definite refined citrus aroma and flavour. Really perfect medium palate, drinkable and very satisfying. Perfect beer.

I will get more tomorrow. Honestly way better than the still-decent 4th Anniversary IPA I had On tap there on Thursday (they have 750mls too), and the Raspberry-infused Bianca Sour Saison they also have on tap/750ml was good but really not all that distinctive from say Amsterdam Framboise. Those 750s are 12 bucks! The Party Bus is around 5.50.

* edit * also sampled the SCA 500 ml bottles of:
Darling Small Brett Ale (Saison) and the
Collusion Belgian Pilsner (collab with Tooth and Nail.)

Totally impressed at these three 500ml bottled offerings, all reasonably priced if not cheap.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

First time for Liquid Art Fest from Collective Arts. These guys just keep climbing the ladder.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Bellwoods Hafis Road:
Bellwoods Witchshark Imperial IPA (draft)

At Great Lakes Brewery:
Great Lakes No Chance With Miranda (draft)
Great Lakes Why I Oughta (sample)

Over the week at home:
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA
Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison
Fourpure Juicebox Citrus IPA
Bellwoods Barn Owl Blend No. 14
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf Galaxy
Fuggles & Warlock Destiny IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Lagunitas 12th Of Never Pale Ale. It’s OK, but honestly underwhelming when compared to the other outstanding PA’s, IPA’s, and DIPA’s I’ve had from this brewery.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

BeerIsGood wrote:Lagunitas 12th Of Never Pale Ale. It’s OK, but honestly underwhelming when compared to the other outstanding PA’s, IPA’s, and DIPA’s I’ve had from this brewery.
from the LCBO? I think the brew date was 8+ months ago unless a new batch came in.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

distr0 wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Lagunitas 12th Of Never Pale Ale. It’s OK, but honestly underwhelming when compared to the other outstanding PA’s, IPA’s, and DIPA’s I’ve had from this brewery.
from the LCBO? I think the brew date was 8+ months ago unless a new batch came in.
Yes, online order from the LCBO. Can is out in the garage, as are the unopened ones in the fridge there. Didn’t check the date (duh) but will when I go out tomorrow.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A bottle of Nickel Brook Über Peach Berliner Weisse, from Summerhill where I also got a Pineapple Über this week!

They are all similarly tart and dry and the fruit is subtle, this is lightweight fare yet the good pale pit fruit flavors are there and a whiff of peach orchard funk in the fragrance. Six bucks a 500ml. LOL. Crushable summer beer.

Next Über - here the Pineapple is present as is an added lightly candy-ish sweetness, almost hauling this into Belgian novelty ale territory. You could drink three of these fruited Über in 20 minutes. They are not designed to be sippers.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Northworks 9 toed sloth stout-very tasty dry stout, the best dry stout I've had in a long time. My third or fourth beer from Northworks and all have been solid.
Bellwoods Tangerine Milkshark-drinkable AF, tastes like a glass of orange juice in the morning.
Barncat Pilsner-super crushable, crispy and citrusy, really nice, although I did prefer their first version of the Pilsner better.
Barncat X Badlands Catlands-the two Ontario kings of haze coming together for a masterpiece. Dangerously drinkable,creamy,juicy,hazy all with a great bitter finish. Mind blowing
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SCA Party Bus Pale Ale, bottle from brewery store.

Really nice presentation, has maybe a bare hint more resin, grass and citrus peel bitterness compared to say CA Life In The Clouds, which is my go-to Pale at present.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium - Rounds 1 & 2:
Halo Crosstalk (draft)
Neustadt Double Fuggled (cask)
Dominion City Laurentian Consensus IPA (draft)
Black Swan Wild Child Berliner Weisse (draft)
Godspeed Otsukaresama (draft)
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf Galaxy (draft)

At a friend's house:
Full Beard The Master Of Beta

Over the week at home:
Indie Alehouse Patersbier
Steamworks Tropical Tart Ale
Indie Alehouse The Days In Between
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Did the Across the Nation packs over the last week and a bit. This whole project is like Beer Camp if the Kamp Krusty councilors were put in charge of brewing. The fast-fading Torque collab was my favourite of the bunch while at least 3 of these got poured down the drain.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

sprague11 wrote:Did the Across the Nation packs over the last week and a bit. This whole project is like Beer Camp if the Kamp Krusty councilors were put in charge of brewing. The fast-fading Torque collab was my favourite of the bunch while at least 3 of these got poured down the drain.
I won't stand idly by while you besmirch the good name of Krusty's best friend in the whole wide world, (dub-over) Mr. Black.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'll cop that the beers are not in their prime (my local LCBO just got the pack in a month ago) but it's like Central City stayed away from any brewer that outshines them, or in the case of Trailway and Torque, drug them down to the level of their other collaborators. The Upstreet collab had me pining for a can of gruel.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Refined Fool Illiterate Librarians Grapefruit IPA. Vastly underrated IMO.