Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

"Agree completely. I'm not sure why I've never tried this one before. I'm sad to admit that I killed the whole sixer, it was damn good. :lol"

Thanks for the heads up. I've passed by that one many times, yet never tried it. I drink my share of Hop Addict, so I'll try the Signature too.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Malcolm wrote:"Agree completely. I'm not sure why I've never tried this one before. I'm sad to admit that I killed the whole sixer, it was damn good. :lol"

Thanks for the heads up. I've passed by that one many times, yet never tried it. I drink my share of Hop Addict, so I'll try the Signature too.
It's not terribly hoppy, but it's well balanced and very malty. I'll be drinking a lot more of it in the near future.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Malcolm wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I've passed by that one many times, yet never tried it. I drink my share of Hop Addict, so I'll try the Signature too.
Like Illuminatus said, its not got the hops of some of the other Durham brews, but it is one of my favourites, and a really good local offering. I dragged up my review of it:
Pours a nice burnished amber with a frothy off-white head that slowly diminishes to a nice cap. Light citric hop aroma playing against a malty background. Taste up front is toasty with caramel and fruit, tailing off into a light (but pleasant) bitterness with floral aspects. Medium body and carbonation suit the beer well. This is a solidly made and highly sessionable ale. Durham keep on producing great stuff!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I am sitting at work finishing a presentation enjoying a can of Hockley Stout!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Cass wrote:I am sitting at work finishing a presentation enjoying a can of Hockley Stout!
That's the kind of job I need! Oh hang on...you posted it in the evening. Maybe that's not quite what I'm after!

Last night I sat a horrendous exam on financial management, where I'll be happy to reach 50%. To calm my nerves I drank a bottle of Garrison Imperial Pale Ale which I brought back from Halifax. It seemed really unbalanced, and the hops really overpowered the malt. The sample I had at the brewery was a lot better. I've had a lot of good hoppy beers recently, but they all seem to be lacking the right amount of balance to achieve greatness.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

...water....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I barely remember posting the last thread, but I felt great the next morning, so healthy.

As I say, French Wine is the elixir of the gods. Great switch from beer sometimes.

And U'm buring through Grolsch Weizen usually two bottles at a time. My homebrewer friends will be quite pleased with the bottles.
In Beerum Veritas

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Cass wrote:I am sitting at work finishing a presentation enjoying a can of Hockley Stout!
Hopefully you're writing the presentation, and not actually presenting it. Not that it would bother me, but I'm just saying... :lol:

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Weihenstephaner - good, but just doesn't seem as balanced in flavour as a Schneider
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:Weihenstephaner - good, but just doesn't seem as balanced in flavour as a Schneider
Grolsch over Weihenstephaner for me.

I like my Weisse very tasty but quaffably refreshing.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote: As I say, French Wine is the elixir of the gods.

From time to time, they actually get it right.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

brewdog punk ipa. Its a really good american inspired, but scottish made ipa.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Sadly a few Smirnoff ICE. The Arbour Mist of Vodka. Well its the summer so anything goes.

Just cracked open a Mill St. Tankhouse. Slowly getting better.....

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Trois Pistoles.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote: As I say, French Wine is the elixir of the gods.
From time to time, they actually get it right.
When it's right it's SO right. And it's not just the super expensive stuff that rocks...

The French have "wankers in wine-making" like anyplace else, it is true... Borgougne is especially screwed for pricing and the El Cee Be Oh! usually buys all the wanker wines from Burgundy - it's a small region and competent agents from all countries actually go after the good stuff - actively pre-buying it - and whatever people don't want, the vintners approach the passive lazy LCBO who consider the exorbitant markup potential of shitty French pinot noir in the Ontario market. Well it's not completely shitty but it's certainly table wine-grade stuff, not the good burgundy and not worth 16-20 bucks.

I'm drinking Rasteau Ortas Prestige 2005 CDR Villages from the Rhone and it's good, deep dark cherry fruit and high-palate acidty and some spice. Wines from the Southwest and Midi and Rhone and Provénce represent some better values.
In Beerum Veritas