Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Avec Les Bons Voeux Brasserie Dupont 2016 - 375ml - guys, this is developing fantastically. If you squirrelled away extra bottles you will be handsomely rewarded for your diligent cellaring habits.

I have a 1.5 l magnum bottle from 2015 of Voeux that I'm confident will be great for holiday sharing or else when we're snowed in some day this winter. (And crazily enough a 750ml of the Vielle 2010.)

I'm picking up more regular Saison Dupont Vielle Provision and some Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock both at DanBroad LCBO. Two classic beers from two great brewing nations. Anybody had the canned Doppelbock?
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:Avec Les Bons Voeux Brasserie Dupont 2016 - 375ml - guys, this is developing fantastically. If you squirrelled away extra bottles you will be handsomely rewarded for your diligent cellaring habits.

I have a 1.5 l magnum bottle from 2015 of Voeux that I'm confident will be great for holiday sharing or else when we're snowed in some day this winter. (And crazily enough a 750ml of the Vielle 2010.)

I'm picking up more regular Saison Dupont Vielle Provision and some Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock both at DanBroad LCBO. Two absolutely classic beers from two great brewing nations. Anybody had the canned Doppelbock?
Wait, there's Celebrator Doppelbock at the LCBO? I can't find it listed on the website. The canned Salvator is quite good, a notch below Celebrator but a great doppelbock nonetheless.

I've got a bottle of Avec Les Bons Voeux tucked away, happy to hear it's developing nicely.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:Wait, there's Celebrator Doppelbock at the LCBO? I can't find it listed on the website. The canned Salvator is quite good, a notch below Celebrator but a great doppelbock nonetheless.

I've got a bottle of Avec Les Bons Voeux tucked away, happy to hear it's developing nicely.
I was mistaken of course. And Salvator is not Celebrator I agree, but I got a few. Having a pour now, this brew is in delicious form with dark-bready malt and raisiny-figgy dark fruit sweetness. Maybe more caramel than expected. But nice balancing dryness. I had some stellar draft pours of this at the very un-fancy Paulaner Im Roten Ochsen in Köln. Wobbly times!

Last edited by Belgian on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Salvator is pretty darn good, and nicely priced at 3 bucks.

It's sorta funny. For all the LCBO stinks, sometimes they can bring in a good beer like this, relatively fresh, at a good price. My experience in shops in the US is getting a beer like that would be a little dicey. They all have it, but it might be years old and quite a bit more expensive.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Salvator is pretty darn good, and nicely priced at 3 bucks.

It's sorta funny. For all the LCBO stinks, sometimes they can bring in a good beer like this, relatively fresh, at a good price. My experience in shops in the US is getting a beer like that would be a little dicey. They all have it, but it might be years old and quite a bit more expensive.
Well this is it. I think a fresh pour or can of Paulaner might be at least the equal of Ayinger or others that are less fresh. I'm seriously digging this for the coming cold months, not that it isn't also good in summer but the warmth of the alcohol and fruit and dark bread seems to fit the time of year.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Ommegang Rosetta.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout — This brew is actually a blend, containing 1/3 fresh (non barrel aged) beer, and you can definitely tell. It's just not as intense as your average well-made BARIS (Double Tempest comes to mind). But it is a tasty stout no less with whiskey barrel and chocolate/caramel notes standing out. Select LCBOs may even be offering a 75% discount on 4 packs.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout — This brew is actually a blend, containing 1/3 fresh (non barrel aged) beer, and you can definitely tell. It's just not as intense as your average well-made BARIS (Double Tempest comes to mind). But it is a tasty stout no less with whiskey barrel and chocolate/caramel notes standing out. Select LCBOs may even be offering a 75% discount on 4 packs.

FFS, I picked up a 4 pack today with high expectations......hoping it’s worth the price tag at least. It took he guy ringing it in, a solid 4 or 5 looks at his screen tnhen back to the 4 pack, then head scratching, to actually figure out that it wasn’t $4.65(or whatever it is) for the entire 4 pack.

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote:It took he guy ringing it in, a solid 4 or 5 looks at his screen tnhen back to the 4 pack, then head scratching, to actually figure out that it wasn’t $4.65(or whatever it is) for the entire 4 pack.
I would have reminded him of Drug Ford's buck-a-beer initiative :lol:
@markhamwhisky

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At beerbistro:
Shillow Ahtanum Leaves IPA (draft)
Collective Arts Surround Sound DDH DIPA (draft)

Over the week at home:
Bellwoods Isar Pilsner
Great Lakes Three-Pronged Fork Hop Hash IPA
Bellwoods & Cloudwater A Stout We Made
Bellwoods Monogamy Single Hop IPA - Summit
Bellwoods White Picket Fence - Peach
Bellwoods Boogie Monster Imperial IPA
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bottle from SCA store. A bit of added chocolate malt sweetness rounds off the prominent acetic Flanders-style profile (typical apple peel, stone cellar.) A bit of old oak and perhaps wine. Roast and cherry. Nice dense dark color. Aromas reflect flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BartOwl wrote:Right now: Fuller's Imperial Stout - I like this one a lot.
Recently: Bellwoods regular Skeleton Key -nice balance in something with a lot of flavour
MacLean's Cherry Porter - another winner from this brewery
Wow, the 2018 Fullers Russian Imperial Stout is almost a different beer than last time. Powerful yet more in balance. Cascade hops and the addition of a few rose buds create hints of floral texture. It's like dark chocolate eaten with a little Turkish delight, and the effect is absolutely mouth-watering. Definitely a special one.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

RATHLIN GAEL from Stone City

Red Rye IPA
Brewed with Simcoe, Summit, and Centennial Hops
6.8% | 500m - $6.50 + hst

This is a strangely challenging beer. At first it seems very English and herbal with the alefruit and black tea thing going on. As the bottle airs out for a bit it gradually reminds me of Garrison IPA (that we did a Bartowel order of here 1,000 years ago) so now I think the Centennial is showing more. It's a very dry IPA, but it becomes more easy-going. The pungency is rewarding.

You remember about 13 years ago when Scotch Irish Sgt. Majors IPA had a ton of Chinook hops? It had this brashness that I sometimes like.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Recently...

Oskar Blues Hotbox Coffee Porter. Very nice with the right balance in the advertised flavour.
Rodenbach Vintage 2016. World class.
Innis and Gunn Vanishing Point 02. Fine on flavour but too thin for my preference regarding style.
Boulevard Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Perhaps I’m barrelled out. It’s good, but...whatever.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Barncat’s Mother Night. Rye barrel aged stout with maple syrup——-I’m not big on sweet things, so when I see maple etc in beers I’m generally pretty apprenhensive. This beer however, is unreal. From the very first sip to the last it’s a masterpiece. It’s lip smacking thick and sticky with an underlying maple baseline.....but the real star is the rye barrel. Boozy,spicy,peppery, it’s a beer with balls. Better than Rat Queen, it’s better than BA Rat Queen
Grab a few if your in the area.