Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Weebay wrote: I'd be curious to know if the recipe changed from year to year.
If anyone can answer that question, it is likely Grub.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Had a barleywine tasting at my place last night:

The Good
Campbell's Christmas (late 70s/early 80s) - this is some sort of scottish ale that was brewed in Belgium. Excellent.
Great Divide Old Ruffian 2011 - big and malty, still a bit of hops and long bitterness
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2011 - lots of hops still kicking, lovely stuff as always
Bell's Third Coast 2011 - biggest most complex malt character of the night
Alley Kat Olde Deuteronomy 2010 - surprisingly good
Lagunitas Brown Shugga 2012 - drinking like a DIPA at this point, light body, massive hop blast, light bitterness
Bushwakker Cyclone 2012 - oak aged and fortified with cognac. Interesting stuff.

The not as good
Thomas Hardy's 2006 - ok, but nothing too earth shattering
Brooklyn Monster 2007 - ok, had a cherry character in the flavour
Full Sail Old Boardhead 2011 - bland, limp
North Coast Old Stock Ale 2012 - very sweet, one dimensional, still a little hot
Half Pints Burleywine 2010 - kinda bland
Paddock Wood Winter Ale 2008 - overcarbonated, kinda bland
Paddock Wood Winter Ale 2009 - better malt character, but still kinda bland
Paddock Wood Winter Ale 2011 - nothing to get excited about

My favourites were Old Ruffian, Bigfoot and Third Coast. Love doing these kinda of tastings, very eye opening as to which ones stand out, and which ones can't quite keep up with the big boys.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I have a bottle of the 2012 North Coast and am wondering when to open it up. Have never had this beer before and while I agree with the general sentiment that aging a beer you have not tried is a little silly, neither do I want to drink it before it is ready to be really enjoyed. Given your heat comment, do you expect it would improve with a bit of time?

I was also surprised by how much I liked the Deuteronomy.
Ren

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

jrenihan wrote:I have a bottle of the 2012 North Coast and am wondering when to open it up. Have never had this beer before and while I agree with the general sentiment that aging a beer you have not tried is a little silly, neither do I want to drink it before it is ready to be really enjoyed. Given your heat comment, do you expect it would improve with a bit of time?

I was also surprised by how much I liked the Deuteronomy.
Ren
Everything I have read about NC Old Stock is that it needs many years of aging to mature, similar to Thomas Hardys and Monster. All 3 are pushing 12% abv and are malt focused, so this makes some sense. I've only tried a couple different years of Old Stock, and all were within 1-2 years old, and all left me unimpressed. But I bought this 6-pack last February and felt it was time to give one a shot... I am certainly in no hurry to try another one. What concerns me is that it is already quite sweet, so it's only going to get sweeter. Can't see myself rushing to track down any of the 2013.

I've been buying Deuteronomy for years, primarily because they are cheap. I've never been impressed with any of them, either fresh or aged, usually tasting like burning hot cherry cough syrup. However, this 2010 bottle was very good, though I recall drinking a fresh 2010 and it was nothing special. I've also recently drank several bottles of the 2011 (still on the shelves in AB, 2012 not yet released) and it was solid. So maybe they have finally figured out how to brew a decent barleywine.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tried the Kensington Fisheye IPA, kind of bored me at the time. Will need to try again.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

GLB/Phillips Puzzler....thought I was grabbing out a BA 25th Anniversary Porter, gotta stop taking those tags off the bottles. Puzzler is awesome though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Skull Splitter and Nøgne Ø Pørter. Løve the dry slightly søur bready røast of the Nøgne. It's very distinct from the Imperial Stout they make.
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Today with JB84:

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - I'm not sure if they tweaked their recipe, but I used to find this very sweet, today it was not and I found it fucking delicious.
*Laughing Dog Alpha Dog*
The Bruery Five Golden Rings
Firestone Walker Wookey Jack
AleSmith Yulesmith
Amsterdam Boneshaker

*Ok, so the Alpha Dog is supposed to be a DIPA, poured it and it had a "funky" aroma to it. Before tasting, we went on to RB, found that there's a Wild Alpha Dog but only 3 ratings, with 2 being from a bar in Texas. No "Wild" version on BA. Googling it I found a few mentions on Untappd, not too many fans there. The taste started out good, but had this sour bitterness that just stayed there. I still don't know if we had an infected Alpha Dog, or a Wild Alpha Dog :-?

We were also going to have something from the Best of Beau's pack, but upon opening there were 2 Patio Saisons and no Sleepytime Stout!! Will the LCBO exchange it without a reciept? Nothing has been opened yet.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Man, lots of great beers on this list recently.
I'm finishing off the last few beers I got in Peru and Ecuador, including 'Apu Coca Beer' ... brewed with coca leaves. Supposed to be, umm, 'energetic'.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

El Pinguino wrote:Man, lots of great beers on this list recently.
I'm finishing off the last few beers I got in Peru and Ecuador, including 'Apu Coca Beer' ... brewed with coca leaves. Supposed to be, umm, 'energetic'.
Just curious if you found any local beer that was remotely "crafty" when you were in Peru. I was there for a couple weeks last summer and could only find Cusquena and Cristal.

Also, did you get to try chicha? If so, what did you think?

Soods

Post by Soods »

Propeller Imperial Russian Stout
Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel
Muskoka Winter Beard
Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Red Racer
Red Racer
Mill Street Cobblestone Stout (holy nitro widget overflow, Batman!! Open this one nice and cold to control the insane pressure release.) Tasty.
Now trying the Black Creek Dray Horse Brown Ale.
In Beerum Veritas

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Driftwood Fat Tug
St-Ambroise RIS 2012

Two very different beers.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Soods wrote: Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard
Where did you have this?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Kish84 wrote: We were also going to have something from the Best of Beau's pack, but upon opening there were 2 Patio Saisons and no Sleepytime Stout!! Will the LCBO exchange it without a reciept? Nothing has been opened yet.
The patio saison was the best of the bunch. Actually the only one I liked. You are lucky.