Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

So far

2 x Mill Street Tankenstein
1 x Mill Street Imperial Chocolate Stout
1 x Dieu du Ciel Route des Épices
1 x Great Lakes Christmas Ale
1 x Tröegs Nugget Nectar Ale

bartle

Post by bartle »

John By... I continue to give this beer a chance. It was the best of the bunch that I've had in bottles.

One year old Peche Mortel. :o Such a beautiful beer.
enjoi

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

bartle wrote: One year old Peche Mortel. :o Such a beautiful beer.
Does the coffee flavour in Peche Mortel fade over time similar to the hop flavour in an IPA? I grind my coffee just seconds before I brew it for the best flavour, so this is my concern with aging it.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

kwjd wrote:
Does the coffee flavour in Peche Mortel fade over time similar to the hop flavour in an IPA? I grind my coffee just seconds before I brew it for the best flavour, so this is my concern with aging it.
I've had a few bottles for roughly a year and the strong coffee flavour was still very much evident; there was no sign of it mellowing out. Yet different batches of younger bottles seemed to have a mellower coffee flavour and aroma.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Torontoblue wrote:
kwjd wrote:
I've had a few bottles for roughly a year and the strong coffee flavour was still very much evident; there was no sign of it mellowing out. Yet different batches of younger bottles seemed to have a mellower coffee flavour and aroma.
The coffee was still very strong. I really enjoyed it. Some of the hot alcohols of the fresh bottles had balanced out, but not much else had changed.
enjoi

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Last night tried out for the first time:

Dogfish Head Black and Blue (not too impressed with this one)
Stone Cali Belgique IPA (interesting take on their IPA)
Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy (delicious imperial stout)

carguy

Post by carguy »

Stonehammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote:
The volatile oils in fresh ground coffee are exposed to air - I imagine the same oils infused into a beer should be more protected so that they don't evaporate and oxidize.

I got lots of the of Peche, and I would expect it to round and deepen and maybe take on some sutle red wine-like flavor notes which will only enhance the coffee and roast malt. All guessing aside - Ralph was given a special DDC stash of aged Peche if anybody wants to go by Volo and see what Peche Mortel's like with a few years on it.
In Beerum Veritas

carguy

Post by carguy »

Propeller ESB.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Brewdog Hardcore IPA.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Neustadt Texas Tea Stout
Hop Addict
#9 IPA

Texas Tea is something special when on cask.

The Hop Addict is always top notch!
enjoi

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Wellington Trailhead x 3
Homebrew

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Tree Hop Head Double IPA. Nicely hopped and got a nice, sweet malt backbone to it. A little bit too heavy to have more than 2 a night though.

Edit due to having another beer :D

Just finished an Alley Kat Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale with a few mouthfuls of an ice cold raspberry sorbet - and boy did they mix well.

The tartness of the sorbet really complimented the sweetness of the scotch ale and gave an almost cinder toffee-like finish to the whole mouthfeel. Mmmmmm, memories of bonfire night in England :D
Last edited by Torontoblue on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Great Lakes Canuck Pale Ale

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

after an incredibly long day, i'm relaxing and on my second glass of our homebrewed barleywine. soon it will be time for sleep...