Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium, The Morrissey House, and Smoke-N-Bones:
Nickel Brook Green Light Berliner Weisse (draught)
Black Oak Summer Saison (draught)
More Nutcracker, Smash Bomb, and cask Plowman's
Rogue Brutal IPA (draught)
Muskoka Winter Beard DCCS (draught)
Church Key Irish Red Ale (draught)
Mill Street Cobblestone Stout (draught)

Last night at Bryden's and Indie Alehouse:
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA (draught)
Great Lakes Harry Porter & The Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans (cask)
Indie Alehouse Jump The Shark ASA (draught)
Indie Alehouse Instigator Pale Ale (cask)
Indie Alehouse Christmas Porter (draught)

Right now:
Propeller Revolution Russian Imperial Stout
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Torontoblue wrote:
biergotter belgian stout 2007, 650ml bottle
Happy New Year Russ! How was the Belgian Stout? I've got one here and just wondering......
same to you sir! it's drinking really well. i had mostly left them since bottling, trying one every year or so. been blowing through them since this summer as it's tasting mighty fine.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Three 24 hr shifts in 5 days and a cold that just wont die generally precluded any beer for me in the last little while. With my sense of smell and taste starting to return today and a little spare time I cracked a Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard....I want to know what the straight up version tasted like before getting lucky in Kentucky. Might get into something hoppy from Jester King and either some Russian River or a lambic later on.

Sitting back and listening to the vinyl re-issue of Mellon Collie from the Pumpkins I got for X-mas. Say what you want about Corgan, it was a super solid, essentially triple, album.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

boney wrote: Sitting back and listening to the vinyl re-issue of Mellon Collie from the Pumpkins I got for X-mas. Say what you want about Corgan, it was a super solid, essentially triple, album.
I've been meaning to pick that up. There's no doubt that Corgan is a huge d-bag, but the first few albums were fantastic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A time of turning past the years:

2008 Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus - rich round and wonderful. May keep the rest another few years.
2009 Schloss Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel - simply amazing.

Schloss Eggenberg Urbock 23° was a good one to age, it's like a Lager Barley Wine. These SE beers start out very rough-edged.
In Beerum Veritas

distr0

Post by distr0 »

jprime wrote:Last night with distr0:

Westy Blonde
Russian River Damnation
Nickle Brook Cuvee (2010?)
Great Lakes Blackout Stout
Camerons RPA
Oast House Saison (thanks Scottatron - delicious stuff)
NB Old Kentucky Bastard

maybe more. Happy new year everyone
you forgot orval!

last night i also had
-muskoka TAMT
-NB wet hop series underground
-rogue dead guy

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

More of a post that should be titled, "What was you were drinking?". Went to a nice NYE house party, and a group of us cracked open a vertical of Fuller's Vintages. We usually try to get a run lined-up, of a 3 year span, but our respective cellars have some vintages missing, so we just went with a various span of different years this time.

We cracked a 2012, 2008, 2007, and a beautiful 2002!

What I thought of each:

2012 - delicious. One of the best 'fresh' Fuller's vintages I've tasted. Aging it worries me, because I've noticed a beer that tastes good now, might not turn into something better just because it spent 'x' amount of years in a cellar. Might go out and buy more of these, just to drink while they're fresh/good!

2008 - not to ignore the fact that it's a 4 year old vintage, but it was the least awesome of the 4 we drank. It was spicy, and bitter, and had some intense sharp carbonation. We enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but when it was with such amazing other company, it was the least best. Maybe it needs more aging!

2007 - delicious, and luscious! Good aged flavour, nice malt development, and has that dried fruit flavour starting to develop. It was interesting to drink the 2012, and then try some 2007 right after. The two were similar in some ways, I enjoyed this one a lot.

2002 - (*Diamond Jubilee Vintage!) - fan-f@&king-tastic!! Deep caramelized sugar flavours, dried fruits (like eating a delicious honey-date), so complex, nice caramel colour. Interestingly served in a 550mL bottle; that extra 50mL was graciously appreciated!!

Cheers! Hope you all had a 'fine ale' drinking experience as well!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote: Sitting back and listening to the vinyl re-issue of Mellon Collie from the Pumpkins I got for X-mas. Say what you want about Corgan, it was a super solid, essentially triple, album.
I'm a big vinyl fan. Used to like the Pumpkins until I saw them on the Mellon Collie tour, they were absolutely brutal, haven't enjoyed them since.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:A time of turning past the years:

2008 Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus - rich round and wonderful. May keep the rest another few years.
2009 Schloss Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel - simply amazing.

Schloss Eggenberg Urbock 23° was a good one to age, it's like a Lager Barley Wine. These SE beers start out very rough-edged.
I had a Samichlaus on Christmas day and I think it was the same vintage. I found it a little too sweet. I agree the SE brews are often rough-edged when they're fresh, but I would've liked a bit more of that booze character to balance the sweetness. Maybe it'll develop with some more age? I don't know, but unfortunately I don't have any left.

I had their fest bock which was included in the craft beer advent calendar. Great continental flavours and it was dangerously drinkable (unfortunately it was only 330ml).

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

@ Blue Monk:
Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar for me, Stone Ruination for her. The Swedes won that particular match - great beer. I had never heard of Omnipollo before today but I will definitely seek out more.

Growler of Lagunitas Sucks at home.

Also picked up:
another growler of Lagunitas Sucks
Founders 15th Anniv Bolt Cutter - I didn't even know Buffalo received this, big surprise
Firestone Walker 16th
Goose Island BCBS
bunch of Alesmith
and some old favs
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
I've been meaning to pick that up. There's no doubt that Corgan is a huge d-bag, but the first few albums were fantastic.
Maybe check out Amazon reviews before you buy. There seems to be some problems with the sound quality due to the pressings. My copy seems to be pretty much alright, save for one song.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

markaberrant wrote:
I'm a big vinyl fan. Used to like the Pumpkins until I saw them on the Mellon Collie tour, they were absolutely brutal, haven't enjoyed them since.
Big on the vinyl too. I hate it when my love for a band is crushed by a horrible performance.

'bout to crack a Great Lakes Audrey Hopburn

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Le Castor Pale Ale.. a brewery not too far from me. Decent beer.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Flying Monkey's Benji Russian Imperial Stout, on cask at Volo, a rich and well-flavoured stout without coffee or chocolate. I thought you could taste some aromatic white oak, I'd wager it is aged for a time in a new oak barrel or perhaps treated with oak staves. Excellent slow sipper.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

North Coast Otsuchi Old Stock Ale. Fine enough, but a bit rough around the edges. Not bad at all, but was expecting something a touch more refined.