Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Nickel Brook Cuvee 2012. Where's the barrel?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:growler = traditionally a 2 litre jug filled from a keg...
Hi Matt. For point of hair-split accuracy. The growlers at Mill Street are 1.89 liter since the 'traditional' growler is 1 US gallon.

Though I'm just as happy with 2 liters! For once metric wins!! (See 'size of a pint' threads.) There are 1 and 2 liter ones.

And 750s over bombers, yessir. Though 750's can magically cost five dollars more than bombers for 15% more beer. I'm sure the reasons are highly scientific.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Nickel Brook Cuvee 2012. Where's the barrel?
A little overwhelmed by the spices, perhaps - I know they blended fresh with barrel aged, but not sure what the ratio was. I wonder when the spices die down, if the barrel will come through more.

Harry Porter cask with dinner - Hoppier than I remember!
At home - Tempest (10% batch)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

had a nutcracker porter and Propeller Revolution last night. Night before was Bellwoods Monogamy(Bravo), Camerons RPA and DFH Burton Baton. Currently drinking an Audrey Hopburn.

munrets

Post by munrets »

BCBS: from a ridiculously expensive growler fill from Premier Gourmet last week, thinking that it would be the only place that I would find it available. Then found bottles for sale at the Consumer's Beverages on Sheridan. This is indeed a pretty impressive stout - pretty hot but incredibly rich with a great mouthfeel (something that really detracted from this year's FBS, IMO).

The last two nights: Knocked off a growler of Lagunitas Sucks and some Brown Shugga. The Lagunitas Sucks is easily up there in my top beers - simply beautiful. I think Lagunitas' house character is my favourite thus far...

And picked up a number of firsts for myself as well on this Buffalo jaunt, including GI Big John, my first crack at AleSmith (Speedway, Old Numbskull, YuleSmith), Stone Vertical Epic 12/12/12 and Bolt Cutter, amongst other favourites (including Lukcy Basartd and Double Bastard, FW Double Jack and Wookey Jack). Took my son with me and visited the Niagara Falls aquarium - maybe the saddest place on earth...

notdan

Post by notdan »

Brasseurs RJ - Death Valley

Really tasty Belgian IPA. With this and the Belle Gueule Hefeweizen (which uses Weihenstephan yeast) coming out in the past year, I really have to give these guys some credit.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Last night at the Grand River winter warmers tasting along with Streets, Cale and Mel and assorted HOZERs.
-Box Steam - Dark and Handsome
-Great Lakes - Winter Warmer
-Grand River - Jubilation 2012
-Cameron's - Deviator Doppelbock
-BDT - Messe De Minuit
-Grand River - Ginger Beer on tap

-Jubilation, Camerons and the Ginger beer were my faves, having a cold, I never got the strong licorice taste from BDT's brew that others were talking about. Star anise is a tricky bugger. Looking forward to the ginger release!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Muskoka Craft Lager
Renaissance Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Last night at Underground, started the night off with

Russell Brewing Blood Alley ESB

and then, for the first time in Canada (?), we had a keg of:

Three Floyds Mikkeller Hvedegoop

4 x 12oz glasses later it was time for home :wink:

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

drinking a homebrewed tripple bottle conditioned with brett from a bottle of goose island matilda. Some carbonation, but still has a ways to go.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Skullsplitter (boy does my memory fail me sometimes!)
7-year old Nogne O Imperial Stout aged in a fridge all that time... amazingly well preserved.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Belikin Draft in a can. It's from Belize.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

iguenard wrote:Skullsplitter (boy does my memory fail me sometimes!)

Never had this until a few nights ago - couldn't get past the third sip. Roughest beer I've had in a long time. I'm guessing it wasn't always like this?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

I haven't tried the skullspliter yet (and Jeff's post above isn't exactly putting me in any hurry either) partly because I'm confused on what style it is; the LCBO calls it a barleywine (which interests me) yet its labelled a scotch ale on ratebeer (which doesn't interest me so much); can anyone shed some light on this ?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

schomberger wrote:I haven't tried the skullspliter yet (and Jeff's post above isn't exactly putting me in any hurry either) partly because I'm confused on what style it is; the LCBO calls it a barleywine (which interests me) yet its labelled a scotch ale on ratebeer (which doesn't interest me so much); can anyone shed some light on this ?
its an english strong ale