Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

phirleh wrote:BBQ'ing some chicken and enjoying a Pliny The Elder (my first Russian River). It is an incredible beer, but I think these days, it is right up there with brews like 10BY, FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf, Hopslam, or Green Flash IIPA.
IIPAs are such a matter of personal taste. Of the ones you have mentioned, I would rate them anywhere from average to world class. And I'm sure that others would have lists that are very different from mine.

As for Pliny, it is an outstanding IIPA, but there are many others that are just as good or better. Still, I would never turn down a bottle or pint of Pliny.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

First trip to HopBar, a place that I will be returning to.

House Ales Tu Hop (on Cask)
Nickelbrook Saison

Will have to try the food next time. Great bar, bartender, and atmosphere.

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Last night..

Nickel Brook Saison
Nickel Brook Berliner Weisse
Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbor

There was a local cheese shop on hand doing pairings as well, which proved to be the highlight.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
phirleh wrote:BBQ'ing some chicken and enjoying a Pliny The Elder (my first Russian River). It is an incredible beer, but I think these days, it is right up there with brews like 10BY, FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf, Hopslam, or Green Flash IIPA.
IIPAs are such a matter of personal taste. Of the ones you have mentioned, I would rate them anywhere from average to world class. And I'm sure that others would have lists that are very different from mine.

As for Pliny, it is an outstanding IIPA, but there are many others that are just as good or better. Still, I would never turn down a bottle or pint of Pliny.
I've never tried Pliny, but I'm curious how 10BY rates with some of the big U.S. ones.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Sitting on the patio of Grizzly Paw Brewpub in Canmore, having an Indra Island IPA. Awesome after a long day of hiking. My last beer in the mountains before I move back to Hamilton next week.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I went from Stone IPA to Stone IPA to Red Racer IPA to Anchor Liberty Ale. I'm trying to resist the urge to pop a stronger Stone Ruination because my health is just slowly returning to good form these days! But DAMN I've been missing hops.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

JeffPorter wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

I've never tried Pliny, but I'm curious how 10BY rates with some of the big U.S. ones.
Still not really in the same league as some of the bigger, better US ones.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I saw a Phillips Amnesiac with the new label. They say the recipe hasn't changed, but I figured it'd be fresh so I should grab it.

It has definitely evolved over the many years. Initially it was a deeper copper colour with some caramel sweetness, and not quite as hoppy.

Now it's a clear golden-bronze with much more hop aroma & flavour. The most recent bottle was even a bit catty & dank (in a really good way). Must pick up a few more bottles!

Streets

Post by Streets »

Yesterday:

Homebrew ginger beer
Homebrew brown ale
Homebrew bourbon oak Aged Imp Stout
Weihenstephan Hefeweißbier dunkel
New Morning Saison
Mad Tom can
Smashbomb bottle

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:I saw a Phillips Amnesiac with the new label. They say the recipe hasn't changed, but I figured it'd be fresh so I should grab it.

It has definitely evolved over the many years. Initially it was a deeper copper colour with some caramel sweetness, and not quite as hoppy.

Now it's a clear golden-bronze with much more hop aroma & flavour. The most recent bottle was even a bit catty & dank (in a really good way). Must pick up a few more bottles!
The cask version over the weekend was very golden-bronze in colour; I thought it was a different beer at first.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Lounging in the hammock with a glass of lake effect ipa...pretty quaffable stuff.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Hoodoo Hef and Hop Smashed In Belgian IPA and Wildrose Taproom.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Black Damnation II Mocha Bomb
Black Damnation IV Coffee Club

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barleywine (thanks to Rutager).

A really well made English barleywine. I am impressed :)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barleywine (thanks to Rutager).

A really well made English barleywine. I am impressed :)
I like pretty much everything Howe Sound does. Drinking a King Heffy tonight myself, which is delicious.

Digging on the Hefs as my summer beer of choice this year. Pretty burnt out on IPA's.