Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I've been enjoying Saison Deux Fois La Taille lately. A very approachable saison made in Canada. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37562/184559/

I also had a Gulden Draak that has been cellaring for some years now. Amazing. Lots of complexity, more rounded character, love the esters. One of my very favourites.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:'12 Unibroue 17 - This seems to have developed a lot of bitterness over time. A woody-herbal-spicy astringency mixed with the sweet fruity notes one would expect. It was interesting and enjoyable, but I think this was past its prime.
Despite Unibroue's claims, this beer does not cellar well for many years. The once-great flavor profile becomes soft and disintegrated. Not bad and not great, just OK. It's a special beer in its own right though!
I did cellar Pistoles and Chambly for a longer time with no problems, in defense of Unibroue.

We did open a 2004 Fullers Vintage Ale together that my cousin held onto over several relocations and career changes - I have to say despite the likely abuse the boxed limited-edition was still intact, bready, and had some nice dark raisiny fruit but it truthfully wasn't all that interesting.
I bought this cousin and his GF the new Schneider Tap X Marie's Rendezvous. Cascade Dry Hopped Doppel Weizenbock! Sounds like a good chill-in-snowbank after an active day beer. AVV strength is right in between regular Doppel and the Eis. I'm betting this one is a great deal for the ten bucks.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I cracked a '13 unibroue 17 about 2 months ago,really "meh". Nothing special, not even as good as fresh imo......just ok. By the same token I had a 750ml 2012 fin du monde in the summer and felt the same way. Very disappointed, expecting more from it. On the flip side, I had a 2014 pistoles that was fantastic.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Great Lakes Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Solstice Stout.

At home tonight for New Year's Eve. Here's a vote against the 650 mL format. I liked this, but 473 or 500 mL would have been plenty enough.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the holidays:

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Wellington Quick Brown Fox ESB (cask)
Cheshire Valley Robust Porter (draft)

At Fuel Woodfire Grill:
Lagunitas 12th Of Never Ale (can)
Griffin Claw Stoned Off My Gourd (sample)
Great Lakes Christmas Ale (draft)

At home and some gatherings:
Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA
Founders PC Pils - American Hopped Pilsner
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA
Dogfish Head Beer For Breakfast Stout
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (2016)
Lagunitas Lucky 13 - Mondo Large Red Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
Dogfish Head Flesh & Blood IPA
Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout
Founders Azacca IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Bellwoods Farmageddon with Cherries.
I love cherries so I like this beer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Odd Side Ales I Want My HTV - Imperial Citra Pale Ale
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:At home:
Ommegang Three Philosophers...
That is one very big bottle of Quad-ness... I think I will get into that one soon.
I've only had one or two (still tasty) small-size bottles that were likely not fresh, I think from a gift pack. Great brewery.
In Beerum Veritas

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Belgian wrote:
cratez wrote:At home:
Ommegang Three Philosophers...
That is one very big bottle of Quad-ness... I think I will get into that one soon.
I've only had one or two (still tasty) small-size bottles that were likely not fresh, I think from a gift pack. Great brewery.
I don't always like that bottle size format but I had no problems crushing a 3 Philosophers and wanting another :)
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Agreed on the format - I would much rather see this sold as 355ml singles or a 4 pack of small bottles - as I had to drink the bottle over the course of two nights, and still had a little bit left over (my smaller tulip glass fits about 330mls). But it's an outstanding beer that can't be passed up. Now that I think about it, I like pretty much everything that Ommegang does. Like Belgian said, a great brewery.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Yes, smaller formats for the high ABV beers would be nice. I still have a 355 mL Three Philosophers from a trip to the States two years ago, so I will enjoy that one on my own and perhaps share the 750 mL with some friends.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Speaking of smaller formats, I'm enjoying a can of Ten Fidy right now. Great beer when it feels like -20 Celsius outside and a 355 mL can is just the right amount for a Sunday. I will have to pick up a few more for the cellar before it disappears. Cheers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:Agreed on the (3 Phils) format - I would much rather see this sold as 355ml singles or a 4 pack of small bottles - as I had to drink the bottle over the course of two nights...
I think anybody who doesn't have a champagne stopper for any big beer they want to set aside is killing themselves!
For the benefit of newer members / lurkers this is a simple compression seal gadget kitchen stores sell for two or three bucks. You put down the lever and it works to create a perfect airtight seal.

In Beerum Veritas

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA - really good beer
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I heard that Wvrst was recently pouring a vintage keg of 2014 BOYD. Sadly, I wasn't able to get there in time. So I substituted as best I could at Bar Hop Brewco last night:

Stone City Juggernaut
2015 GLB Solstice

Both have their relative merits and both were quite good, but neither is BOYD.