Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

liamt07 wrote:
iguenard wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:That's odd. I've never had even a mild sour note in Abyss before. But I also haven't had the 2014 yet. Will have to give it a try soon.
2009 was like that... infected.
Didn't come across like a full blown infection wood. The sourness was mild, but present.
Okay, was going on both comments stating a mild, light sourness. If this year's batch is much worse, than I'll spread the word and will be pretty happy I decided to put my money on barrel aged alesmiths instead.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've got another bottle of the abyss in the cellar. It'll be interesting to see if it mellows or gets worse.

Sometimes I like a bit of character from the wood... But there's a reason Brewers switched to stainless steel!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Sipping on my last Founders Backwood bastard from last years release. Excellent stuff, great slow sipper for a night like this. It's a bit of a bourbon-bomb to me....and i'm not a bourbon fan, but this is great.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Bier Markt Esplanade:
Central City Red Racer India Session Ale (sample)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (draft)
Goose Island India Pale Ale (draft)
Stone India Pale Ale (draft)

Things are looking up in Ontario! :lol:
Last edited by cratez on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

glad to hear this is drinking well, I still have an unopened case of this stuff from last years lcbo feature
sofakingdrunk wrote:Sipping on my last Founders Backwood bastard from last years release. Excellent stuff, great slow sipper for a night like this. It's a bit of a bourbon-bomb to me....and i'm not a bourbon fan, but this is great.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

naughty neighbour brewed Jan 29, this is delicious fresh and if I can get it fresh one of my go to house beers along with Wizard Wolf
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Remember liking NN more when it first hit the LCBO in bottles. Regardless, I'll be getting cans on the regular.

Beyond The Pale Pleasure Craft IPA - definitely their best IPA so far.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

LTM Grande Cuvée Weizenbock 2012. I have to say I was a little worried this one wouldn't hold up to the aging that well, but I am very pleasantly surprised. Lots of dark fruit, deep rich sugar and fortified wine flavours. A great sipper at warmer temperatures, a shame this is my last one from 2012. I still have 3 from 2013 and now I'm tempted to hand on to them a few more years and see how far this beer can be taken.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Derek wrote:Abyss 2014... Light sourness from the barrel.
Drank this last night and the light sourness is definitely there. It is partially aged in red wine barrels, but no more than previous vintages were.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Underdogs Hopfenweisse at Trinity Irish Pub in Whitby...only had one cause something was off...dirty lines? Or just old keg...just had no banana or clove or spice...could it be this beer just isn't that good?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Black Swan Wild Child Berliner Weisse (draft)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (draft)
Bellwoods Paper Tiger (draft)
Lost Abbey 10 Commandments (sample)
Forked River Hansel & Brettel (draft)

Right now:
Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:Right now:
Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA
Me too. Followed by GLB Karma Citra (I foolishly bought only one bottle of the Rogue). Very interesting contrast.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

midlife crisis wrote: Me too. Followed by GLB Karma Citra (I foolishly bought only one bottle of the Rogue). Very interesting contrast.
Really enjoy the Rogue as well. I didn't know it was a DIPA when I had it on tap at Bier Markt a few months ago, since the alcohol is subtle and the beer is super drinkable for the weight. It's also a classic example of a DIPA that emphasizes hop flavour over bitterness, as I find the bitterness to be quite low.
Last edited by cratez on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Lost abbey at an ontario bar?

cratez wrote:Last night at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Black Swan Wild Child Berliner Weisse (draft)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (draft)
Bellwoods Paper Tiger (draft)
Lost Abbey 10 Commandments (sample)
Forked River Hansel & Brettel (draft)

Right now:
Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Royal city : lock stock in a sour barrel.
A very tasty brew. Not sure about the "sour" part. A little bit of lemony zing, but more like a Riesling sorta thing going on. Refreshing drink that I think would be great in the summer. Probably the best beer I've had from Royal city