Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Fresh bottles of Saison Dupont :D
i wish i could say the same!!
Yeah I'll have to suffer with this perfect bottle of 2008 Orval. :roll:
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

A fresh bottle of Alesmith Yulesmith Summer Imperial IPA. Flat as a gymnastics teacher.

Hopefully it is limited to this bottle, cause I got a caseful of that stuff in the fridge. Still great though.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Much earlier today:

Black Oak 10 bitter years
Amsterdam & House Ales Night Train Funk

Earlier today:

Bellwoods Saison, Berliner weisse, Baltic porter and Witchshark IIPA

Currently:

Great Lakes Harry Porter and the bourbon soaked vanilla bean

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Private sour beer tasting tonight, this is pretty close to a comprehensive list:

Rodenbach Cereal du Vin 2004
Rodenbach Vintage 2007
Rodenbach Vintage 2009
New Belgium La Folie 2008
New Belgium La Folie 2011
Crooked Stave Surette
Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca
Berliner Kindl Weisse
Crabtree Berliner Weisse
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus 2010
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon Bruoscella Grand Cru
Russian River supplication
Monks Cafe Flemish Red
Oud Beersel Framboise
Honsebrouk Bacchus
Homebrew Cherry Flanders

Best of the night for me were the 2 Rodenbach vintages and the the homebrew cherry flanders.

And then for fun we cracked an Avery Hog Heaven to wrap things up.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc...not great, but drinkable and better than regular 1664.

Wernesgruner
Mill St Belgin Wit

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

velovampire wrote:Wonder if this has anything to do with the brewer switch? Was the last batch brewed while Adrian was still there, or had he already gone to GLB?
don't recall the timing, but that was the first question that came to mind.
velovampire wrote:Also, it could just be clouded memory, or perhaps the recent influx of wonderful Ontario IPAs, but IMO, the first batch was AMAZING, the second was a very close second, and the third (this current batch is the third, right?) I have yet to try, but reading the comments on here and overhearing some bartender/patron banter at C'est What, I'm led to believe it's not quite up to snuff.
i think this is the 4th... i remember talking about getting a keg before the 2nd batch came out, but being told to wait for the next batch as that one was mostly going to bars. i had no luck getting a keg on #3, but did get bottles. missed out on bottles in batches 2+4. I didn't notice a substantial difference among the previous 3, but did notice a major difference in this one.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Lecocq wrote:Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc...not great, but drinkable and better than regular 1664.
Tastes and smells like a citrus fruit salad. Not much else going on. Certainly not on the same level as Hoegaarden or Blanche de Chambly.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Last night at Pearl Street and Cole's:

Pearl Street Black Pearl IPA
Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Beans (WOW! :o :o )
Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout
Smuttynose Brett and I

Returned with a big haul from California too :)

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

grub wrote:i think this is the 4th... i remember talking about getting a keg before the 2nd batch came out, but being told to wait for the next batch as that one was mostly going to bars. i had no luck getting a keg on #3, but did get bottles. missed out on bottles in batches 2+4. I didn't notice a substantial difference among the previous 3, but did notice a major difference in this one.
Ahhh, ok, cool - i vaguely remember there being a draught-only (or near to it) batch in there somewhere. Thanks for the clarification.

Soods

Post by Soods »

grub wrote:
velovampire wrote:Wonder if this has anything to do with the brewer switch? Was the last batch brewed while Adrian was still there, or had he already gone to GLB?
Adrian was still there. I remember the day they announced his switch to GLB, it was at the Bar Towel 10th anniversary brew day. Adrian brought some of the 10BY for us to try. So this looks to be the first post Adrian batch.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

grub wrote: I didn't notice a substantial difference among the previous 3, but did notice a major difference in this one.
I did as well. In fairness, I have only had a single bottle from this batch and I had it immediately after I had a Cameron's Rye IPA. After the Cameron's, I found the 10BY to be bland and extremely disappointing.

I will try one this week with a clean palate and report back.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I did as well. In fairness, I have only had a single bottle from this batch and I had it immediately after I had a Cameron's Rye IPA. After the Cameron's, I found the 10BY to be bland and extremely disappointing.

on the contrary - if an IPA makes a DIPA "bland and extremely disappointing", there's definitely something wrong with that DIPA. it should be able to hold its own back to back with other DIPAs and throw standard IPAs to the side, not the other way around.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

grub wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I did as well. In fairness, I have only had a single bottle from this batch and I had it immediately after I had a Cameron's Rye IPA. After the Cameron's, I found the 10BY to be bland and extremely disappointing.

on the contrary - if an IPA makes a DIPA "bland and extremely disappointing", there's definitely something wrong with that DIPA. it should be able to hold its own back to back with other DIPAs and throw standard IPAs to the side, not the other way around.
Agreed, but sometimes tastebuds do strange things after an IPA. I would still like to try one with a clean palate.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the complete lack of aroma. Had I not known what I was drinking I would have never guessed it was a DIPA.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

While in vermont

Switchback ale
Hill Farmstead Florence
Hill Farmstead What is Enlightenment
Alchemist Heady Topper

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Cameron's RPA. Should have bought more than six. Also bought a pint glass. For those that didn't when they picked up their six I found the cOmment on the back of the glass comical. "Brewed by a connisouer not an accountant".