Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

PeenSteen wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Kuhnhenn 4D.

Have the Bourbon Barrel Aged Edition waiting for tomorrow night. Will be interesting to compare the two.
The bourbon barrel 4D is mind blowing, enjoy sir.
Still have one of these - just waiting for the right time to crack it open.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Boneshaker IPA ... first pour FLAT, bummer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Burton Bridge Old Expensive.............best beer ive ever had!!!!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:Burton Bridge Old Expensive.............best beer ive ever had!!!!
Just read your review and I think you have had an off bottle; seriously. The brewery class it as a barley wine/old ale, having a barley wine & estery aroma, with a smooth and bitter barley wine taste; no mention of it resembling a sour or having any sour & brett qualities, or being a Belgian clone. Burton Bridge do have a reputation of poorly bottled beers, and looking back at reviews over on BA, this has been badly bottled since 2007!!!

I certainly don't remember it having any sour qualities when I tried it many many years ago.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Burton Bridge Old Expensive.............best beer ive ever had!!!!
Just read your review and I think you have had an off bottle; seriously. The brewery class it as a barley wine/old ale, having a barley wine & estery aroma, with a smooth and bitter barley wine taste; no mention of it resembling a sour or having any sour & brett qualities, or being a Belgian clone. Burton Bridge do have a reputation of poorly bottled beers, and looking back at reviews over on BA, this has been badly bottled since 2007!!!

I certainly don't remember it having any sour qualities when I tried it many many years ago.
i purchased this beer knowing it was bret infected

please read:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/burton-bri ... /9676/3/1/

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:

please read:
Yup, I did say I just read your review; first line of my reply. You don't mention in your review you knew it was bret infected.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:

please read:
4.7 AROMA 10/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 19/20
DaSilky1 (2574) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2003

UPDATED: SEP 27, 2009 cask (RAF 03’): Flat appearance of amberness with a darkish hue..Huge aroma of bourbon, port, alcoholic nectarines, and brown sugar...Big Malty body with chunks of walnuts everywhere..so incredibly nutty with waves of whiskey and walnut shells..Huge alcohol presence but warped into something so enjoyable that i wanted more...deep complex intoxicatingly insane beer.

bottle: The head sits about an inch thick and icy, composed of billions of microscopic bubbles..The fluid beneath is cloudy beyond recognition, a sort of orangish-brown mud so to speak...a tilt of the glass leaves a solid sheet of lace behind...the aroma bends the senses into new dimensions...barny, leathery, fruity with apricots, nectarines, apples, and grapes..and floral and hoppy, quite similiar to the violet effervesence of Orval...the fruits and the yeasty leather and barnyard flavors rejoice around the tongue, caressing every taste bud and injecting them with uniqueness. There is a very enjoyable nutty astringency that rides the background throughout the experience. This is the coolest beer on the planet..its just all kinds of wierd...total microorganism kinda beer...shit that’s probably not legal..Probably the wackiest english ale out there...pretty much like mixing a gueuze with a british IPA.

I have spent some time with this beer..having had numerous bottles throughout the years and although quite different between the cask and bottle-conditioned versions, this is one hell of an ale, the most underappreciated ale on ratebeer, and by far one of my favorite ales in the world.

4.5 AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 18/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 4, 2003

Beer is a deep brassy amber, with a huge thick rocky head that sticks to the glass in clumps as you drink. There's a heavy estery pineapple-like smell in the aroma. So far this is looking good. Initial sip is lightly malty, with a huge amount of esters, mostly in the way of pineapple, and a touch of floral lilac or something. I don't really know my plants. Mouthfeel is excellent, with small light carbonation and medium body. The beer is lighter than I expected. Malts are light, with a good hoppiness towards the end. The beer finishes very fruity, with a bit of alcohol presence and mild hops. The hops seem to compliment the carbonation very well. Awesome.

4.5 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 18/20
JoeMcPhee (6944) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 24, 2006

500 ml bottle. Deep ruby coloured brew with a thick yellowish head. Beautiful brew to look at. Lovely aroma, fruity plums and sweet blackberry, grape and raisin along with some apple and pear. Dried fruit and heavy sweet spices as well. A dry leather aroma and bretty funk along with a soft woodiness as well. The sweetness of the malts mingle well with the fruity esters and the wild funkiness. Although there are sweet fruity aromas all over this, the beer itself is quite dry and refreshing. Earthy/woody hoppiness on the finish. Warming accentuates the delicious dryness of this beer on the palate while the fruity aroma remain in place. Flinty and minerally which also accentuates the beers dryness. There is so much going on here that it’s hard to know where to start. Aroma of Flemish Red combined with a soft gueuze. A very unique and tasty beer. Great balance. Vastly underrated IMHO.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

4.5 AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 18/20
bhensonb (7493) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 2, 2006

Aroma of slightly sour apple, a bit of pear, and cherry I think. Very opaque apricot color, with a finely bubbled white head that persists. Starts with a hint of sour fruit, followed by sweet fruit, followed by yeast, followed by cherry, the complexity is just amazing. If you are anywhere near Burton on Trent, go to the bridge. Food is great. I’ve had three bottles, the first two overflowed a few years ago, but this bottle might be four years old, and it has less explosive effervesence than the others. This is just such great tasting ale. When will I get another?

4.4 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 18/20
lithy (2995) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 1, 2009

Dark orange-red, fluffy off white head. Aroma is fruity, citrus, nice light hop spiciness, sweet malt, light acidity and brett. Taste is caramels, more fruits, apples, dry and bretty finish with mingling grassy, spicy hop bitterness. Fantastic beer.

4.4 AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 18/20
Gary (1077) - London and(Rochester), Kent, ENGLAND - MAY 7, 2012

UPDATED: MAY 8, 2012 (Bottled) Other high scores for this have mentioned this being Orval resembling , it is for shit; flowery , with a citric nose , herbs , rotting cheese , ..dank basement in funky perfume kinda Orval thang going on
deep orange with a light white head. on the palate ; its got a beautifully dry quality , bitter , aromatic flowers ,acidic fruit, funky textures, mildly sweet tones show up too, Out of control stuff in reality ... ..

4.3 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 17/20
PilsnerPeter (2959) - Flushing, New York, USA - SEP 16, 2009

Bottle: Beautiful very deep copper with a creamy dense light tan head. The aroma is spicy, fruity, wild with brett character, leather, cherry pit, soft plummy malt notes, vinous notes- complex! Creamy fluffy body with a clean texture. Very soft plum & fig malt background. Very dry and spicy overall with lots of brett (Brux) rustic character. Some leather, fruity spiciness, cherry pit with a long spicy dry finish with lots of bitter fruit skin. Complex, silky, balanced and delicious. Extremely underrated.

4.3 AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 17/20
ClarkVV (3578) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 19, 2005

UPDATED: OCT 5, 2007 500 mL bottle. Bottle conditioned dull brown (maple-to-mahogany like Barry said) colored body, whispy off-white head, with good retention. Smells dry, earthy, fuggley and almost like Brettanomyces. Some light roast, dry pear skins and a deep, fruit and rum raisin sort of thing. Funky, strange, unique. Flavor takes that idea and runs with it. Begins dirty, yeasty, earthy, very "burtonized" shall we say, with tingly carbonation, rich gingerbread maltiness, prunes, limes and toffee. More of the strange brett-like character. Medium-full body, waxing a tad sweet on the end. I’ve had two bottles of this recently both the same batch, same cellar conditions and both were quite different. One I absolutely loved, another I didnt, so much. Very difficult beer to rate. I will be getting more of it and polishing up my rating, but I wanted to get something down for this one.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

do you want me to keep going? i knew it was a bret beer, i read a shit load of ratings

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote: BBA'd one is miles better, although both are brilliant!
PeenSteen wrote: The bourbon barrel 4D is mind blowing, enjoy sir.
Wow, you guys were right. The bourbon barrel 4D is mind blowing.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:do you want me to keep going? i knew it was a bret beer, i read a shit load of ratings
I see you picked the ratings that relate to this being a 'bret' beer :wink: What can I say....but the cask version I had was way different. Strange how it's the ratings this side of the pond that make mention of funk & bret. I remember when their Burton Bridge Burton Porter was in the LCBO about 5 years ago; 90% of the bottles were gushers and terribly off. Burton Bridge bottles don't travel well.

I'd trust this guy's ratings though:

AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 6/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 14/20
HogTownHarry (4867) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 18, 2006
Bottle (500ml). Shared with blankboy and tupalev - my bottle. Poured hazy orange with an average white head. Had an almost lambic funkiness in the aroma, quite sharp with lots of yeast - solid malt and decent UK pungent hops. Tasted very bitter and yeasty with a hint of fruit an lemon juice on warming - quite different. Mouthfeel is fizzy, sharp, bitter, sour and acidic - came across like an odd ESB/lambic cross - interesting - I quite liked it, even if, as I suspect, it’s not supposed to smell/taste like this ... perhaps a little past its best?

And from the brewery blurb, "Old Expensive is a strong, dark winter warmer with a full bodied rounded bitterness. It has a rich port wine aroma in the nose, massive mouth-filling malt and ripe fruit flavors and a deep finish with hops, raisins and sultanas on the palate"

As I said earlier, I suspect the bottled version is not as it should be. But, whatever we can disagree about this all night and I really can't be that bothered.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Headstock - Great beer, love the natural carbonation, but the break material really detracts from the appearance

Var Tripel - It's a different take on a Tripel, but I like it. Makes for a great dessert
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Drinking a 5 day old Boneshaker, really good. I'm going to have to edit my BA review of this soon.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Cigar City Tocobaga - thanks Streets!
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

icemachine wrote:Headstock - Great beer, love the natural carbonation
Are you suggesting you could tell the difference between a force carb beer and a natural carb beer in a blind taste test?