Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Today and recently I have been enjoying Fuller's Bengal Lancer IPA. This is one of my favourite styles of beer, English IPA. Also it is my favourite Fuller's beet to date. It has that yummy English yeast strain with strawberry like esters and a herbal tea like earthy hop presence. I had it on draft at Craft Brasserie in Liberty Village.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Storm Stayed Panache....delicious DIPA. If you find yourself in London, I'd recommend a visit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Very interesting Bellwods brew, I don't at all mind the juicy-dry-sweet tangerine against the chocolate and dark malt backdrop. The acidic citrus note slightly competes with the natural dark malt roast and hop dryness, and the lingering citrus peel is slightly hop-like. The vanilla is back in there helping couch these flavours and aromas together, Neato!

In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Belgian wrote:Didn't know the YUZU was so fanstastic, it's dry and tart with interesting flavors going on. Japanese citrus fruits flavour it.
Radical Road Yuzu Pale Ale, canned this month.

It's somewhat one dimensional — but that dimension is Yuzu. I don't know if it's just me, but it takes about a half-pint for the Yuzu flavour to really surface. Once it does, it's great. The second can is better than the first.

I know Yuzu is rather pricey but I'd love someone to produce a real Yuzu bomb. Jelly King Yuzu?!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If you go into the bar right now, they have an upscaled yuzu IPA, which is basically just yuzu with more everything but water. Closest I've found to a yuzu bomb.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At The Monk's Kettle:
Forked River Hansel & Brettel (draft)
Cheshire Valley Robust Porter (draft)
Great Lakes As Far Back As I Can Remember (draft)

Over the week at home:
Muddy York Gaslight Helles Lager
Collingwood Freestyle Series: Winter Stout
Muskoka Ebb & Flow Session Sour
Anderson Winter
Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0
Forked River Flanders Red
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:If you go into the bar right now, they have an upscaled yuzu IPA, which is basically just yuzu with more everything but water. Closest I've found to a yuzu bomb.
Radical or Godspeed?

Now having a Bellwoods 3 minutes to midnight barrel aged cherry imperial stout, excellent amazing stuff. I think I kept this spare bottle about a year. I still have a Cherry - Raspberry to crack open, hopefully it has mellowed and is better than when fresh.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Radical.

Honestly though, that IPA has been out for a bit now. I had one on the weekend and it was good, but not quite what it was fresh.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

On the weekend - Collective Arts Hydro Thunder Double IPA

Although it is described differently, I found it strikingly similar to Liquid Art Fest IPA, including the opaque yellow colour.

Tonight - Napanee Extremist Belgian IPA

Generally not one of my favourite styles, but this was really good.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Marston's 61 Deep Pale Ale — Very nice golden ale here. Crisp, refreshing, well balanced. It's on the dry side and with some hop bite surviving the voyage from England. A truly sessionable ale at 4.1% abv and $2.35 per 500 ml.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Recently I have had Big Rock's Hazy IPA at their Liberty Village location. It has juicy hop flavours with balanced malt. This is right up there with life in the clouds, when it is good. I am quite impressed. It seems the local brewer is more capable than the parent company's line up. Although they sometimes produce some oddball feature beers.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Paradise Grapevine and Victory Cafe:
Fairweather Silky (draft)
Godspeed Fuyu Barleywine (draft)
Town Levon Saison (draft)
Folly Trapped In Time (draft)

For Super Bowl LIII:
Martson's 61 Deep Pale Ale
2019 Bell's HopSlam Ale

Over the week at home:
Collective Arts Surround Sound DDH DIPA - Simcoe, Galaxy & Citra
Great Lakes Brewery Fine Young Cannibal Chickens
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Grandmas boy—-a bit more sour this year I feel, but tasty As hell
CA ipa 8——one of the better releases in the series, on par with number 3 for me, not as good as 5.
Dominion city Sunsplit—-super juicy and tropical, excellent.
Barncat Pulp—-the best iipa in the province,End of.
4L worth between Friday night and last night, sad to see it go for another year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Had a nice Godspeed Sesh...

OTSUKARESAMA Dortmunder
IBUSHI Smoked Pilsner
GOKUOSAMA Kölsch
HANABI Smoked Saison
OBERKASSEL Altbier

All are worth trying at least a few times, as each is great in it's own way. Really pleased. The Altbier is especially amazing time right now. Even without a Japanese name like many GS beers ;-) , the brew really works.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Flying Monkeys Sparklepuff IIIPA— Surprisingly good. Probably the best hoppy thing I've had from FM.
Barncat Cats in Space IIPA — Chewy hop juice.
Barncat Pulp Clementine IIPA — Amazing, the fruit is not heavy handed, yet very present and makes for a delicious combination. Easily gulped.
Barncat Fear of Light Cinnamon/Vanilla Stout — Very well done, sessionable and satisfying.
Omnipollo/Buxton Yellow Belly Peanut Butter Biscuit Stout — Excellent and bonus points for creative packaging.
Oskar Blues Death By Coconut — Perfectly named beer. Wish we could get this up here.