Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Smuttynose Noonan Black IPA

Not a hugely hoppy take on the style, more dark APA but a nice tribute to the guy who originated the American Black IPA
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

midlife crisis wrote:
boney wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: For anyone who somehow doesn't see the obvious merit of supporting local breweries:

https://twitter.com/thegoldenhearth/sta ... 0736379904
The whole "support local" mindset is a part of much larger ideological argument than just beer, but also includes beer and breweries. It all depends on how the individual structures their own values and principles and how they inform that persons ideological mindset. It's definitely not obvious or objective.

For the record, I do choose to support local, but I understand Liam's argument and could easily play devils advocate.
Well that sounds a bit like denying global warming to me. Yes, we live in a free country and each of us has a choice as to how we apply our values and principles to the consumer decisions that we inevitably make every day. But the benefits of supporting local seem pretty straightforward and obvious. I agree that each of us is free to embrace or ignore those benefits as we choose.
So when faced with (hypothetically) a superior non-local product and an inferior local product, I shouldn't hesitate to throw money at the local business, just because of their proximity to me?

It's a free market, and I'll put my money in the best product. And if by chance that product happens to be locally produced, awesome.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well, as Boney says, that is an ideological choice we all make based on our own values and principles. Not just in beer but in all consumer products.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

alesmith speedway - sooo good

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Half Pints Black Galaxy

Deschutes Hop Henge (fresh growler)

Anchor Old Foghorn (fresh growler)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Sawdust City I, the Mountain & the Leprechaun (draught)
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus (bottle)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Amager Bryghus Rye Porter. This is about 6 months from purchase, possibly a year since brewing. The aging has turned a rich sweet strong porter into a winy, less sweet, spicy drink. It is very bitter, and I'm sure the hops prevented the typical bottle oxidation you get after 6-12 months with a lot of strong stout and porter. Very interesting and well-worth bunkering.

Cameron Rye Pale Ale (draft): this is the style of APA I like: plenty of New World hop but with a sweet malty base which partly "absorbs" or complements rather that taste. Top-rate APA and there is no better in Oregon or CA, not that I've had.

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Amager Bryghus Rye Porter. This is about 6 months from purchase, possibly a year since brewing. The aging has turned a rich sweet strong porter into a winy, less sweet, spicy drink. It is very bitter, and I'm sure the hops prevented the typical bottle oxidation you get after 6-12 months with a lot of strong stout and porter. Very interesting and well-worth bunkering.

Cameron Rye Pale Ale (draft): this is the style of APA I like: plenty of New World hop but with a sweet malty base which partly "absorbs" or complements rather that taste. Top-rate APA and there is no better in Oregon or CA, not that I've had.

Gary
Or Michigan. Completely agree. I have not been fortunate enough to taste the famed Vermont beers, mind you, so can't comment there.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Same here, I've never had them. Came close once.

Gary
Gary Gillman

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

midlife crisis wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:Amager Bryghus Rye Porter. This is about 6 months from purchase, possibly a year since brewing. The aging has turned a rich sweet strong porter into a winy, less sweet, spicy drink. It is very bitter, and I'm sure the hops prevented the typical bottle oxidation you get after 6-12 months with a lot of strong stout and porter. Very interesting and well-worth bunkering.

Gary
Or Michigan. Completely agree. I have not been fortunate enough to taste the famed Vermont beers, mind you, so can't comment there.
Are you actually suggesting the RPA is better than Two Hearted, Huma-lupa-licious, or anything Founder's has produced en masse?

Bearing

Post by Bearing »

After getting home from family Easter dinner:
Short's Huma Lupa Licious
Bellwood's Cat Lady
New Belgium's Ranger
Avery's Out of Bounds Stout

No cupcakes here, but the beer is better...

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Last night with J343MY, and JB84

Barncat Artisan Ales Durian Saison
Barncat Artisan Ales DIPA
Grassroots Arctic Soiree
Crooked Stave Hop Savant
Barncat Artisan Ales Imperial Stout
Barncat Artisan Ales FarmCat (Saison)
Great Lakes Robohop
Almanac Sourdough Wild Ale
HOTD Doggie Claws (no carb)
Mikkeller Black (Barrel Aged Islay)
HOTD Fred
HOTD Adam
Bacchus
Lindemans Cuvee Rene
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Thirsty & Miserable with nicktbm:
Petrus Aged Pale (bottle)
Dieu du Ciel! & The Alchemist Moralité (bottle)
Thiriez & Jester King La Petite Princesse (bottle)
Beau's & Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale (draught)

Really enjoyed this place and was pretty impressed with the bottle selection. Plus it was nice to try three new beers on my birthday. :D

On an unrelated note, Gary makes funny comments.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Last night on College St

At Red Sauce
Black Oak Nut Brown Ale

At Cloak & Dagger
Cameron's White Oat Savant
Junction Craft ESB (cask)
Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour

jprime

Post by jprime »