Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
andrewrg wrote:Yeah, had a bit of a bottle at Volo. Really excellent barleywine--on par with King Henry and Abacus. There are still some bottles at Volo too, just $35 each.
Haven't had King Henry (where did you try that???) but it stacks up with Sucaba, although a little bit different (mostly because of the maple). I think I preferred Sucaba but not by a lot.

It will be interesting to see how MOAS and Arctic Devil stack up.
I also had the Nez de Poivrot recently and loved it. I preferred King Henry but not by a lot. Great beet for sure.
Ren

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

andrewrg wrote:Yeah, had a bit of a bottle at Volo. Really excellent barleywine--on par with King Henry and Abacus. There are still some bottles at Volo too, just $35 each.
Was that the bottle I bought a few months ago when a bunch of BTers were there?

Pretty great stuff!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Thornbridge Kipling
Central City Red Racer IPA
Mill Street Paradise IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
iguenard wrote:At the Gatineau Festibière...

Trois Mousquettaires American Barleywine (holy freaking shit! wow)

The TM Barleywine, by far the best beer I've had in a while.
ISO.

Is this being bottled at all?
Festival only, but I tried my best to change that by lobbying Jonathan Lafortune as best I could :).

Barrel aged stuff coming soon... not just one kind too.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Cemeron's RPA
DDC Derniere Volonte

At The Only. Damn, I love this place after a long day...

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Don't think so, Jeff.

Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

By the way, I went to the Gatineau Beerfest and what a disappointment. I should know by now that most festivals are a money grab.

$12 to get in, $5 to park.

$4 for a 4 oz. sampler?
The people at many of the booths were disinterested college kids who knew nothing about the beer. I was hoping for some interesting one-offs, but with booths like Roling Rock and CLIT (Coors Light Iced Tea), who cares.

I bailed after 45 min. and went up the street to La Trappe and picked up some bottles and had my own beer festival at the in-laws.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Denisons Weisse 500ml can, perhaps better than ever - review over here.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Feeling like a sausage, so quiet dinner at Wvrst w/ a Sawdust Alt
Rye PA @ home
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Great Lakes Project X Nazgul Baltic Porter.

Really good. This one should be sent to the LCBO next...

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Grand River Dogstalker, last one, good stuff.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

elproducto wrote:By the way, I went to the Gatineau Beerfest and what a disappointment. I should know by now that most festivals are a money grab.

$12 to get in, $5 to park.

$4 for a 4 oz. sampler?
The people at many of the booths were disinterested college kids who knew nothing about the beer. I was hoping for some interesting one-offs, but with booths like Roling Rock and CLIT (Coors Light Iced Tea), who cares.

I bailed after 45 min. and went up the street to La Trappe and picked up some bottles and had my own beer festival at the in-laws.
You missed out on barrel aged Scotch ale from BDT, Anned'ale and incredible Northern-tea IPA by Naufrageur, cask barley wine from LTM, and more that I can't remember. Its not the best festival in Quebec (yet), but it certainly beats all other local festivals.

Transit or carpooling could have saved you some money, next time send me a PM, I can hook you up to some samples to keep a smile on your face.

I was working some kiosks, and trust me... no college would ever accept me LOL :)

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Pilsner Urquell on draft at Biermarkt (Esplanade). A perfect expression of the Czech pilsner taste, and very fresh. Still the best blonde lager in the world IMO but you have to drink it very fresh and well-served. Oddly, this pint was in better condition than some Urquell I had in Prague last year. I've found the draft as good at Wvrst.

Gary
Gary Gillman

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Neustadt Sour Kraut Lager.

A very nice raspberry beer if you like that sort of thing.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Fullers Porter