Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Dogfish chicory stout
Founders red rye
Founders centennial
and waiting on a Dogfish burton to chill for a bit.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Smuttynose Robust Porter
One of my top 10 beers.
:D

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Belgian wrote:anybody else tried that Church Key Belgian Red ale at Only Cafe, I think it's a new one.
I thought the only tweeted something about it having aged for 3+ years... makes me fear that it might be the old vomit comet, er, I mean, lactese falcon...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Cantillon Iris

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

cmadd wrote:Cantillon Iris
De Struise Tsjeesees

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:
Belgian wrote:anybody else tried that Church Key Belgian Red ale at Only Cafe, I think it's a new one.
I thought the only tweeted something about it having aged for 3+ years... makes me fear that it might be the old vomit comet, er, I mean, lactese falcon...
"Murky reddish look, sour cherry and cola aroma. taste of sour cherry, tart and acidic fruits, stone-cellar, earthy and funky. Musty spice. Not all that pleasant at first but it grows on me."

^ Sounds barrel-aged. No lactese.
In Beerum Veritas

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Last night:
Ten Bitter Years
De Molen Mooi & Meedogenloos

Tonight:
Ten Bitter Years
Mikkeller Ultramate 1000 - easily the most bitter beer I've had
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

At Bear Republic yesterday, rather than numerous small glasses of different beers (flight), I had one pint of Nor Cal bitter. A good solid local sessioner, but still not in the class of Gaffer at Russian River IMO.

Today, a long anticipated trip to Mendocino Brewing Company, in its new Ukiah location, is on the agenda. As many here would know, this brewery, begun in the early 80's, partially emerged out of the disappearance of New Albion brewing in that some of the personnel and the yeast of New Albion Brewing moved to Hopland to help set up the new business. New Albion was the first true craft brewery post-Prohibition in the U.S., it began in 1977 but went out of business some years later. I never had a beer from New Albion, one of my great regrets, but MBC will bring me close.

Brekle's brown from Anchor is in the stores, I am not sure if this is the same as the Anchor Mild on draft in the beer bars, it is a single hop (Citra) brown beer and I have one in the bar fridge in the hotel to try later.

Still a lot of Heineken, Becks and Bud Light being consumed the restaurants and bars in Sonoma beer country: craft beer is important here but it still takes second place from what I can see to mass market beer (i.e., in SF and here) and wine culture seems in general to be more widespread.

Gary

Gary
Gary Gillman

heebes

Post by heebes »

Bellwoods White Picket Fence witbier stubby

Bellwoods Summit single hop APA growler

Nothing like drinking locally fresh beer. Really loving these guys. Missed out on the Belgian IPA but impressed by the rest of the bottle sale. Great people working the sale too.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

A pint of Blue Heron Pale Ale at Mendocino Brewing Company's Ale House shone with West Coast quality. Well-bittered with everything in the right place, it is not really an APA as I normally think of it nor English in style, but is a true original. I believe that this beer is the successor to New Albion's Pale Ale and thus is a living link to the earliest days of modern craft brewing in America.

I tried some others in a flight of which the organic Butte Porter was superb, with light smoky notes and a brown not black hue.

The house stout, Black Hawk is the name I think, tasted as in past years, I always felt it is intended as a pumped up Guinness-style, i.e., quite dry with a roasty grainy edge. Red Tail Ale (just two ounces, in the flight) was off IMO, probably since it was in the pipe for some hours before the place opened and we got there quite early, for lunch. I should add it is over 100 F outside...

Unfortunately as for all these kinds of visits, the dozen or so beers on offer I didn't try will have to await another time.

The current location is fairly humdrum IMO, being in a small strip mall with a suburban atmosphere, but I didn't care, the beer is the important thing and that Blue Heron made the drive up from Healdsburg worthwhile.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

heebes wrote:Bellwoods White Picket Fence witbier stubby

Bellwoods Summit single hop APA growler

Nothing like drinking locally fresh beer. Really loving these guys. Missed out on the Belgian IPA but impressed by the rest of the bottle sale. Great people working the sale too.
I missed out on the IPA too, but got some Baltic Porter I'm about to drink. I'm really looking forward to when they get the new fermenters in and are able to have a permanent store.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

big biergotter party here yesterday. let's see if i can remember everything that was consumed...

biergotter wheatwine 2012
biergotter doppelbock 2011
biergotter table saison 2011
great lakes (OH) edmund fitzgerald porter
great lakes / biergotter nazgul baltic porter
great lakes / biergotter scurrilous double belgian black ipa
great lakes harry porter
great lakes harry porter and the bourbon soaked vanilla bean
great lakes 25th anniversary porter
great lakes 25th anniversary porter aged in buffalo trace barrels
biergotter monk's elixir 2009 with bourbon oak and cherries
biergotter monk's elixir 2008 with calvados oak
three floyds dark lord 2009
biergotter belgian stout 2007
biergotter rye barleywine 2007
biergotter tribute barrel aged blend

plus a ton of badass food (thanks Jenn, Eric, and Rob!). a damn fine day.

edit: forgot a couple:

biergotter old ale 2008
vivant solitude
Last edited by grub on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Nickel Brook Headstock IPA

Streets

Post by Streets »

Went to a family gathering yesterday and had lots of naughty neighbour, a railway city copper, Nickel Brook la paysan saison belgian style, and introduced my homebrewing cousin to Westvleteren 12.

And probably heading out this afternoon to see what's on at the Winking Judge.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Crabbies Original Ginger Beer.

This is fricken' crap. It's a ginger pop with alcohol added. NOT beer:

"The product does not contain fermentable grains, fermentable honey or apples or otherwise fails a test of product authenticity..."- RB
In Beerum Veritas