Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

cratez wrote:Quite impressed with the new beer menu and it seems like they're starting to attract a different crowd too. Compared to the last time that I visited, when Boston Lager and Tankhouse were the only craft options available, there weren't nearly as many patrons on the verge of vomiting. Granted it was a Monday night, so I'm not sure if the weekends are still mayhem.
Saturday nights are pretty busy. I don't know about mayhem.

We're happy that LM has stuck with the craft beers. We have been surprised at a few of the offerings there that you would normally expect only at places like Bar Hop, C'est What and Volo.

Assuming there will be an Olympics Gold medal game involving Canada and the Leafs make the playoffs, Loose Moose will be our destination.
lister

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

lister wrote: Saturday nights are pretty busy. I don't know about mayhem.
The mayhem comment was in reference to the ear-splitting music, the large number of people slamming shots at the bar, and my partner overhearing a woman throw up in the bathroom. This was a weekend night in winter 2012. Thankfully Monday's visit was exactly the opposite.
lister wrote: We're happy that LM has stuck with the craft beers. We have been surprised at a few of the offerings there that you would normally expect only at places like Bar Hop, C'est What and Volo. Assuming there will be an Olympics Gold medal game involving Canada and the Leafs make the playoffs, Loose Moose will be our destination.
Yeah even after reading about the new beer menu I was surprised to see an Oast House one-off on tap. Besides Amsterdam LM is the closest craft beer spot to me so based on this latest experience I plan to drop in more often. How's the food BTW?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

cratez wrote:The mayhem comment was in reference to the ear-splitting music, the large number of people slamming shots at the bar, and my partner overhearing a woman throw up in the bathroom. This was a weekend night in winter 2012. Thankfully Monday's visit was exactly the opposite.
We've been a handful of times and the closest to mayhem was for St Patrick's Day. The couple of Saturday nights we've been it's been busy but not like you describe. Maybe it was the luck of the draw (either way.) I suspect it generally is closer to our experience than yours.

Given where it is, what it is and what else is on tap, it can't be like the better beer bars on most nights, civilized. I'd suspect though for any Olympics gold medal hockey game involving Canada or a Leafs playoff game the place will be quite the scene, hence why we'll be there for those events. *knock on wood*
Yeah even after reading about the new beer menu I was surprised to see an Oast House one-off on tap. Besides Amsterdam LM is the closest craft beer spot to me so based on this latest experience I plan to drop in more often. How's the food BTW?
The biggest surprise for me was seeing the Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard Imperial Stout on draft. It also had a low price for the 18oz they were serving at. Yeah having that at the end of the night (two different times) did me in and I've sworn off the stuff.

My girlfriend, who is a former chef, and frequently a pain in the butt when it comes to pub-ish and Jack Astors/Caseys/Kelseys/LM type places actually quite likes the food there. She and her brother like the fried chicken. I find it has a certain taste that I don't like. The menu is a bit limiting for me. The Big Ass Cheeseburger is pretty good just watch out for the very hot fried cheese. The nachos are massive and the garlic fries always smell so good.
lister

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

St. Ambroise Imperial Russe 2011. Excellent, glad I put it down.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Bytowner wrote:St. Ambroise Imperial Russe 2011. Excellent, glad I put it down.
I had one of that vintage a couple weeks ago. So damn good.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

lots of posts recently about some good aged beers.. funny how beeradvocate has taken a stance against this

'In the editorial of Beer Advocate Magazine #80;" Generally speaking, cellaring beer is a waste of time, money, and beer. There. We said it. Someone had to."

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

spinrsx wrote:'In the editorial of Beer Advocate Magazine #80;" Generally speaking, cellaring beer is a waste of time, money, and beer. There. We said it. Someone had to."
Anything that begins "generally speaking" isn't a particularly bold statement. How brave of BA to say "Cellaring beer is a waste of time, except when it's not". :wink:
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Cameron's Rye Pale Ale x 2
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

spinrsx wrote:lots of posts recently about some good aged beers.. funny how beeradvocate has taken a stance against this

'In the editorial of Beer Advocate Magazine #80;" Generally speaking, cellaring beer is a waste of time, money, and beer. There. We said it. Someone had to."
I know there are a number of people out there who buy a beer and think 'yeah this will be better aged' having not had the product as is. I don't think it's THAT often that brewers release a beer that's still way too young and will require 'aging' (as we regard it - many months, a couple years) to be where it needs to be. What's the point in releasing a product to the public that can't be consumed as is?

I think for a majority of beers (with some obvious exceptions, these are in the greatest minority in terms of what's available on the market), aging is a waste of time. More often than not, consuming fresh has proven to be the best decision (in my experience).

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I think that most of my beer aging isn't done on purpose. The LCBO forces me into cellaring in a way. :)

For example with the upcoming Founders release, I feel like I should really stock up since Ontario may never see beers like these again. Then I will get busy drinking other things, and before I know it my bottles of Backwoods Bastard etc. will be a few years old.
liamt07 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:lots of posts recently about some good aged beers.. funny how beeradvocate has taken a stance against this

I know there are a number of people out there who buy a beer and think 'yeah this will be better aged' having not had the product as is. I don't think it's THAT often that brewers release a beer that's still way too young and will require 'aging' (as we regard it - many months, a couple years) to be where it needs to be. What's the point in releasing a product to the public that can't be consumed as is?

I think for a majority of beers (with some obvious exceptions, these are in the greatest minority in terms of what's available on the market), aging is a waste of time. More often than not, consuming fresh has proven to be the best decision (in my experience).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:I think that most of my beer aging isn't done on purpose. The LCBO forces me into cellaring in a way. :)

For example with the upcoming Founders release, I feel like I should really stock up since Ontario may never see beers like these again. Then I will get busy drinking other things, and before I know it my bottles of Backwoods Bastard etc. will be a few years old.
liamt07 wrote:

Ditto. My cellaring started when I didn't want to guzzle down the case of Rochefort 10 and Chimay Blue I got.

Then once you start it gets addictive. Every time I drive to the US, I want to bring back a case of stuff I can cellar, not so much because I think it will improve, but because I want to save it for later.

There is some other stuff I age on purpose. Fullers Vintage comes to mind.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I have done a lot of cellaring. The only beers worth aging are:

Barleywines
Imperial Stouts
Belgian Dark Strongs/Quads
non-fruit Sours/Brett aged beers

There are also a few bigger beers that can be a tad hot and/or the flavour profile is not quite fully developed upon release, but usually come together in 3-6 months. I'm thinking of some bigger Belgian Tripels/Golden Strongs/Saisons, Doppelbocks and Wee Heavies. Cellaring them any longer typically does not provide much benefit.

So yeah, as a general rule, cellaring is overrated, and it takes a fair bit of experience to figure it out.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

markaberrant wrote:I have done a lot of cellaring. The only beers worth aging are:

Barleywines
Imperial Stouts

There are also a few bigger beers that can be a tad hot and/or the flavour profile is not quite fully developed upon release, but usually come together in 3-6 months. I'm thinking of some bigger Belgian Tripels/Golden Strongs/Saisons, Doppelbocks and Wee Heavies. Cellaring them any longer typically does not provide much benefit.

So yeah, as a general rule, cellaring is overrated, and it takes a fair bit of experience to figure it out.
I'd agree, but you might have to include *some* Old Ales in that list too, to catch things like Kuhnhenn 4d and Fullers Vintage Ale. Plus a few other more exotic things like Braggot and maybe Wheat Wine that might work too.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

squeaky wrote:
markaberrant wrote:I have done a lot of cellaring. The only beers worth aging are:

Barleywines
Imperial Stouts

I'd agree, but you might have to include *some* Old Ales in that list too, to catch things like Kuhnhenn 4d and Fullers Vintage Ale. Plus a few other more exotic things like Braggot and maybe Wheat Wine that might work too.
Yeah, I think a bit of oxidation makes an old ale taste right.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Old Ale was implied with Barleywine.