Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

i have a selection in the shed for either tonight or tomorrow night. On a bit of a weiss/wit buzz at the moment. I have 1 or 2 of each:
St. Bernardus Wit
St. Bernardus 12
Aventinus weizen eisbock
Franzinkaner weiss
weihenstephaner hefeweissen
weihenstephaner dunkel

carguy

Post by carguy »

Grand River Plowmans Ale

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

thelynchfella wrote:i have a selection in the shed for either tonight or tomorrow night. On a bit of a weiss/wit buzz at the moment. I have 1 or 2 of each:
St. Bernardus Wit
St. Bernardus 12
Aventinus weizen eisbock
Franzinkaner weiss
weihenstephaner hefeweissen
weihenstephaner dunkel
Those Bernardus beers are the shit - I`d put the 12 over Westvleteren any day.

Tonight I`ve got a Smuttynose Big A in front of me, and I just polished off a Ten Bitter Years. Considering how much I love Smuttynose, I`m a bit underwhelemed by this one. Black Oak is far superior, and I`ve never been one for homerism.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Watchin the Habs hold off the Caps with a BO Nutcracker and a ST. Amby Oatmeal Stout. Suck It, Ovechkin
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

acromion23

Post by acromion23 »

Just had a Rochefort 8. Have to say, I was underwhelmed. My kingdom for an Orval!
かんぱい。

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

icemachine wrote:Watchin the Habs hold off the Caps with a BO Nutcracker and a ST. Amby Oatmeal Stout. Suck It, Ovechkin
I wasn't going to drink tonight, but I cracked open a St Ambroise Vintage in celebration! Go Habs!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Fullers Vintage 2008 in celebration of the Habs win :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Lug Tread Ale 600ml was tasty with grilled strip loin, perfect amount of hops against the beef. Galt Knife also very good but it's much rounder, might go better with Weisswurst or Nurnburger sausage. Note to self: plan some MIXED GRILL.
Bobsy wrote: Those Bernardus beers are the shit - I`d put the 12 over Westvleteren any day.
They are not bad! The Wit can be incredible. I have some St Bernie 12 from 2005, so it's prime drinking right now.

I'd have to say the Westy I tried at Volo was simply a different beer. I don't see the relationship very much.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Belgian wrote:The Lug Tread Ale 600ml was tasty with grilled strip loin, perfect amount of hops against the beef. Galt Knife also very good but it's much rounder, might go better with Weisswurst or Nurnburger sausage. Note to self: plan some MIXED GRILL.
Bobsy wrote: Those Bernardus beers are the shit - I`d put the 12 over Westvleteren any day.
They are not bad! The Wit can be incredible. I have some St Bernie 12 from 2005, so it's prime drinking right now.

I'd have to say the Westy I tried at Volo was simply a different beer. I don't see the relationship very much.
Interestingly, when I had the Westy at Volo it reminded me much more of the St. Bernardus 12 60th Anniversary Edition than the normal 12. When I got home to compare my notes between the Westy and the Bernardus 12 60th they were very, very similar and I wondered it St. Berardus tweaked it that way on purpose for the anniversary edition. My sample size is, however, very small having both the 60th edition St. Bernardus and the Westy only once each (the normal St. Bernardus much more often).

I'll have to give the St. Bernardus Wit another try. I wasn't in love with it when I had it for the first time and haven't revisited it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like it in bottle, the Wit I had in Manhattan seemed very fresh and lively. TONS of flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

carguy

Post by carguy »

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

carguy wrote:Black Oak Ten Bitter Years
me 2

bartle

Post by bartle »

Had a Bell's Two Hearted Ale last night... so good.
enjoi

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

carguy wrote:Black Oak Ten Bitter Years
I mixed that 50/50 with Grand River Russian Gun, makes a very delicious Dark IPA! The flavors really blend and compliment well. Total winner!

Holy cow does the Ommegeddon seem dry and sour after that ^ science experiment (The Grand and the Black Oak are both relatively sweet and fruity.)
In Beerum Veritas

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

acromion23 wrote:Just had a Rochefort 8. Have to say, I was underwhelmed. My kingdom for an Orval!
I'd be a fan of rochefort 8, when i lived in Belgium it was a regular purchase of mine....Orval though is a fantastic beer and without doubt one of the nicest beers i've tasted!