Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bartle

Post by bartle »

Bonesey wrote:Flying Monk
60 min
Dead Jumbo
10 Bitter Ones
Garrison IIPA

NB: the Garrison wasn't nearly as bitter as I previously remembered. Perhaps my taste buds were fried at the end of this sess.
The Garrison has tamed down a lot since filtering and re-branding it. I have pictures of one I had back on October and it was chunky and pretty tasty for a real big pale ale.
I'm not much for branding or titles/genres of beer, but putting this as an Imperial IPA won't allow it to hold up to the standards set by others.

It's a great beer, don't get me wrong, just it really has changed over the past few months.
enjoi

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Went to Matt7215's place today and learned the finer points of mixing water, barley, hops and yeast. Shared a few beers too.

10 Bitter Years - please don't make us wait 10 more years!
Mikkeller Jackie Brown - very nice, Mikkeller is by far one of my favourite breweries
Matt's Sour Belgian - Incredible, can't wait to try the Berliner Weiss
Nickelbrook wort homebrew - From my own carboys, my usual ale

Thanks for the brews and learning experience!
Last edited by phirleh on Sat May 01, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

bartle wrote:
Bonesey wrote:Flying Monk
60 min
Dead Jumbo
10 Bitter Ones
Garrison IIPA

NB: the Garrison wasn't nearly as bitter as I previously remembered. Perhaps my taste buds were fried at the end of this sess.
The Garrison has tamed down a lot since filtering and re-branding it. I have pictures of one I had back on October and it was chunky and pretty tasty for a real big pale ale.
I'm not much for branding or titles/genres of beer, but putting this as an Imperial IPA won't allow it to hold up to the standards set by others.

It's a great beer, don't get me wrong, just it really has changed over the past few months.
Agreed on it not measuring up to a real Imperial IPA (should have just stuck with Imperial Pale Ale), but unless they're sending a filtered version to Ontario, t's still unfiltered.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Dead Elephant Ale - nice, none of the issues that have been raised in this forum
McAuslan Russian Imperial Stout - no complaints, but I think it could benefit from some aging

bartle

Post by bartle »

Short's Smoked Apple Ale.

Dark Horse Reserve Special Black Bier Ale.

yum.
enjoi

carguy

Post by carguy »

Bit of a dreary day today, so the wife and I raided the cellar for an afternoon of movies and beer.

We had:
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter
Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry Stout
Mill Street Barley Wine (2008)
Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock
Unibroue Maudite
Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

A day well wasted.....

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

phirleh wrote:Went to Matt7215's place today and learned the finer points of mixing water, barley, hops and yeast. Shared a few beers too.

10 Bitter Years - please don't make us wait 10 more years!
Mikkeller Jackie Brown - very nice, Mikkeller is by far one of my favourite breweries
Matt's Sour Belgian - Incredible, can't wait to try the Berliner Weiss
Nickelbrook wort homebrew - From my own carboys, my usual ale

Thanks for the brews and learning experience!
lotsa fun and good brews today patrick, the jackie brown was awesome!

my half of our brew is already bubbling away too!

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

just finished a brutal Bitter. Having a Ten Bitter Years now. Fuck, this is good. actually that would be an understatement, this is easily one of the best Canadian beers I've ever had, and one of the best IPA's Ive had in a while. This HAS to be brewed again and soon, as I regret only getting the 1 case. I was told when I bought mine that if the demand is still there it will be brewed and bottled again. Considering how fast it sold, and the great reviews, how could the demand not be there? Hopefully Black Oak will end up having no choice but to brew this year round eventually. Not gonna get my hopes up though.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Crabbies Ginger Beer
Rogue John John Juniper Ale
Alley Kat Bad Hare Day

Had the Bad Hare Day at Kawa Espresso Bar in Calgary. Despite being a cafe, Kawa has the best bottle list in the city by far. A definite must visit if anyone is out this way.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

bartle wrote: The Garrison has tamed down a lot since filtering and re-branding it. I have pictures of one I had back on October and it was chunky and pretty tasty for a real big pale ale..
I did the first order and really liked the unfiltered! I won't miss it that much I guess. Certainly, if they went out of their way to make the beer even better - instead of taming it down unnecessarily - I'd go out of my way to get it on our store shelves.

Still Garrison's going to be a decent LCBO option among other pretty good pales. Black Oak Pale (and hopefully future Ten Bitter) are made a lot closer to my house! We'll see what develops.
In Beerum Veritas

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

garrison iipa
10 bitter years
aphrodisiaque

Switched up the order last night and the 10 bitter yrs just crushed the garrison in every category, except perhaps appearance.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^^ You need to blend the 10 bitter with a different beer to realize how hop-heavy it really is. The hop flavor still punches through. Hence it makes a great Dark IPA blended with the Grand River Stout!

Hope this one makes it back... given the Gold Medal, who knows!
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

At Granite watched the Habs win with a couple pints of the Best Bitter Special and one of the Hopping Mad. Just got home and about to crack my last SN Torpedo
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Draft Pilsener Urquel on the small terrace of a Polish restaurant on Roncesvalles (not far north of Queen Street). A superb, very fresh glass of Urquel showing subtleties quite remarkable in an imported product.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Ran the Sporting Life 10k today and I'm relaxing this evening with a few brews:

Victory Prima Pils
Beau's Lugtread
Ise Kadoya Triple Hop
Sam Adams Cream Stout