Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

beerstodiscover on Nov 30 2019 wrote:Fullers Imperial IPA — Really nice beast of an ale. Firm Euro hops and massive malt. Fruity, bready, herbal, sweet and bitter.
After one year in the cellar this is still quite an impressive brew. Hops have definitely faded (nothing I would call firm) but now drinking like magnificently malty barley wine. I made the mistake of drinking half of it too cold.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

From the Spadina Front store - Birra B2O Venusa Ambrata.. 75 cl bottle.

Not even listed in the LC system, From the Venetian islands, sorta interesting. A basic fruity Vienna Lager style with some Belgian Ale spice and pear overtones, bottle-conditioned.
A high fermentation amber beer, unpasteurized and refermented in the bottle with the addition of "Santonico" (Artemisia Caerulescens L.).
The blue wormwood herbals are from the local lagoons. I wouldn't go miles out of my way for this beer but it's something to try if you see it. Plus it looks cool.

Since you were wondering about the added herbs:

Anthelminthic use
Santonin paralyzes parasitic worms (helminths), allowing them to be passed out of the body. Santonin has the effect of paralyzing the anterior (front) end of the worm, while having a stimulant effect on the posterior end, depending on the concentration. Because of this, the worm cannot coordinate itself, and loses its ability to maintain its position in the host. By using a purgative, the worm can easy be passed out.
In Beerum Veritas

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Recently:
Saison Dupont Cuvee Dry Hopped (Amazing!)
Boon Framboise (Unfortunately, not a traditional lambic. This has been sweetened.)
Aventinus Eisbock (Also amazing)
Hop City Boxcar Bock (Not bad)
Muskoka's Munich to my Ears (Very good)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The Return of Lockdown Drinking:
Great Lakes Hümber Helles
Great Lakes New England-Style Canuck Pale Ale
Great Lakes Monty Brown Ale – Chocolate & Banana
Great Lakes Flight HBC630 American Pale Ale
Great Lakes & Prud'homme Sommelier’s Waltz Vienna Lager
Great Lakes New England-Style Octopus Wants To Fight
Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

cratez wrote:The Return of Lockdown Drinking:
Great Lakes Hümber Helles
Great Lakes New England-Style Canuck Pale Ale
Great Lakes Monty Brown Ale – Chocolate & Banana
Great Lakes Flight HBC630 American Pale Ale
Great Lakes & Prud'homme Sommelier’s Waltz Vienna Lager
Great Lakes New England-Style Octopus Wants To Fight
Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA
Tell us about the "New England Style" theme here. I heard about the Octopus and was curious. What did you think?
It's the first I've heard of Canuck being played this way too. Like, is that really necessary? Or is it so good I shouldn't just roll my eyes?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

BartOwl wrote:Recently:
Boon Framboise (Unfortunately, not a traditional lambic. This has been sweetened.)

I think the Munich is done for the season. I haven't seen it anywhere for a while. It is indeed very good. I hope they bring it back again.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:From the Spadina Front store - Birra B2O Venusa Ambrata.. 75 cl bottle.

Not even listed in the LC system, From the Venetian islands, sorta interesting. A basic fruity Vienna Lager style with some Belgian Ale spice and pear overtones, bottle-conditioned.
A high fermentation amber beer, unpasteurized and refermented in the bottle with the addition of "Santonico" (Artemisia Caerulescens L.).
The blue wormwood herbals are from the local lagoons. I wouldn't go miles out of my way for this beer but it's something to try if you see it. Plus it looks cool.

Since you were wondering about the added herbs:

Anthelminthic use
Santonin paralyzes parasitic worms (helminths), allowing them to be passed out of the body. Santonin has the effect of paralyzing the anterior (front) end of the worm, while having a stimulant effect on the posterior end, depending on the concentration. Because of this, the worm cannot coordinate itself, and loses its ability to maintain its position in the host. By using a purgative, the worm can easy be passed out.
It seams like so many people are self administering stuff like this in attempt to stave off those Wuhan worms. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tapsucker wrote:Tell us about the "New England Style" theme here. I heard about the Octopus and was curious. What did you think?
It's the first I've heard of Canuck being played this way too. Like, is that really necessary? Or is it so good I shouldn't just roll my eyes?
Well, as a crusty cynic who is straight up tired of hazy IPAs and mediocre takes on the New England style, I think the NE Octopus is arguably better than the original version. Don't know exactly how or why, but something about this tweak seems to bring out more of the hop aromatics, and there's lots of punchy hop flavour to boot. I also find the NE to be a bit less sweet than the original (surprisingly).

The NE Canuck isn't quite as impressive as the alternative Octopus, but it's still very tasty. And I literally never buy the original Canuck, so thought it'd be fun to try a different take on this beer. It did not disappoint.

To be honest, though, my two favourites from this latest GLB haul were the Chocolate & Banana Brown Ale and the Prud'homme Vienna Lager. Both just really lovely beers. This year's Lake Effect is also drinking fantastic.

I probably sound like a fan boy, but I don't really care. Great Lakes is knocking it out of the park right now, and they deserve praise where praise is due. Hope that answers your question. :wink:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Tapsucker wrote:
BartOwl wrote:Recently:

I think the Munich is done for the season. I haven't seen it anywhere for a while. It is indeed very good. I hope they bring it back again.
I recently had the DAB Maibock, and the Munich is as good or better. I think the DAB was a little more thin, with some nice oily hop aftertaste. I would buy both again.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JaseWescott wrote: picked up... IPA No. 15 by Collective Arts (re-release of the very popular IPA No. 5)
Mmh! Pretty unbeatable stuff. Even after a few Godspeed brews which for me are pretty much the altamira of brews in the GTA. The #15 has an amazing citrus note and a perfect body.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

1.5 ounces of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
3/4 can of Zevia Sugar-Free Ginger Ale
2 ice cubes
Makes for a nicely balanced, dry and spicy rye and ginger

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:1.5 ounces of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
2 ice cubes
Have you tried a rye cocktail made with simply brewed ginger (grated, thrown in a pot of freshly boiled water often with a touch of honey / lemon, then steeped a good 40 or so mins?)

This is something I drink at home all the time combined with LaCroix sparkling water -- I wondered if it would also make a killer cocktail, with real ingredients.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:
2 ice cubes
Have you tried a rye cocktail made with simply brewed ginger (grated, thrown in a pot of freshly boiled water often with a touch of honey / lemon, then steeped a good 40 or so mins?)

This is something I drink at home all the time combined with LaCroix sparkling water -- I wondered if it would also make a killer cocktail, with real ingredients.
I have not. I wanted a basic rye and ginger that was on the drier side of things, so I used a sugar-free ginger ale and it turned out well. The ice also helps to add some balance and cuts a bit of the booziness and sweetness. The Zevia uses ginger extract, not real ginger, but you'd be surprised how much it smells and tastes like a standard ginger ale.

Pigs will literally fly before I boil and steep ginger for 40+ minutes to have a cocktail, but I am interested in trying/creating a Northern Buck at some point: https://bustedwallet.com/crown-royal-no ... -the-week/

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Belgian wrote:
2 ice cubes

have you tried Nickel Brook's Ginger Beer? very spicy. Nickel Brook Root Beer is amazing! :D it's hard to find Root Beer that's made from scratch, most of them (A&W, MUG, Stewart, Barqs, Pop Shoppe, etc) are brewed with extract.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JaseWescott wrote:have you tried Nickel Brook's Ginger Beer? very spicy. Nickel Brook Root Beer is amazing! :D it's hard to find Root Beer that's made from scratch, most of them (A&W, MUG, Stewart, Barqs, Pop Shoppe, etc) are brewed with extract.
I have not, will check out NB sodas these sound fun.

I do like Muskoka stuff. There's some flavor and balance. Those would mix like a champ. Reeds possibly as well.
In Beerum Veritas