Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I liked it better with a year on it than I did fresh. I like coffee flavour, but there was just too much for me when it was fresh. I'm convinced it will be even better (for me) in another year.
sofakingdrunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote:had one of the breakfast stouts from last years lcbo release.. still sooooo much coffee flavour going on
Good to know, I've still got a four pack in the cellar and was starting to worry about it, due to some peoples comments

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:I liked it better with a year on it than I did fresh. I like coffee flavour, but there was just too much for me when it was fresh. I'm convinced it will be even better (for me) in another year.
Glad to hear that. I'll let mine sleep for a bit longer, then.
sofakingdrunk wrote:Good to know, I've still got a four pack in the cellar and was starting to worry about it, due to some peoples comments

Feel the same way about the Backwoods Bastard. Has anyone had one recently that was from last year's release?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:
spinrsx wrote:had one of the breakfast stouts from last years lcbo release.. still sooooo much coffee flavour going on
They go well mixed in pancakes. We tried that with Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast a few years ago. Tasty!
With BGB?? I'm 50:50 on that one lister; seems a sacrilege but then no, sometimes great beverages do come across really well as food ingredients. So it's not a waste (every time.)
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I had a backwoods on the weekend, and I've been drinking 1 bottle every month or so. (I bought 2 cases) It really hasn't changed much in my opinion - maybe a touch less bite/booze.
Ceecee wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I liked it better with a year on it than I did fresh. I like coffee flavour, but there was just too much for me when it was fresh. I'm convinced it will be even better (for me) in another year.
Glad to hear that. I'll let mine sleep for a bit longer, then.
sofakingdrunk wrote:Good to know, I've still got a four pack in the cellar and was starting to worry about it, due to some peoples comments

Feel the same way about the Backwoods Bastard. Has anyone had one recently that was from last year's release?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:With BGB?? I'm 50:50 on that one lister; seems a sacrilege but then no, sometimes great beverages do come across really well as food ingredients. So it's not a waste (every time.)
I think I had a case of BGB so I could afford half a bottle for pancakes.

Sometimes certain recipes call for plonk and sometimes you have to use the good stuff. GIGO otherwise.
lister

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Enjoyed a Makers Mark barrel aged Lavery 1847 Rye Stout and a Cognac aged Twice as Mad Tom last night...

The stout went down very easy, the cognac Tom was great, but is a slower sipper.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

really digging this lost coast 8 ball stout right now

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:I think I had a case of BGB so I could afford half a bottle for pancakes.

Sometimes certain recipes call for plonk and sometimes you have to use the good stuff. GIGO otherwise.
Nice. Well you never know unless you try. The right beer ingredient can make a dish go from good to *swoon* (like Trois Pistoles in Carbonnade Flamande w/ bison.)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
Creemore Springs Oktoberfest Lager
Timothy Taylor Landlord Pale Ale
Southern Tier Pumking
BrewDog Libertine Black Ale
Barn Door Oktober Fest Bier

Drank the Landlord and Libertine right away out of concern that they might be past due, but both were in fine form and I can see why the Landlord is considered the benchmark for the style. RE: the Barn Door. Anyone else think this drinks more like a maibock than an O-Fest? I've enjoyed everything I've had from these guys (Spring Bock, Summer Storm, Monster Mash) but this one didn't do it for me.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Yukon The Angry Hessian Pumpkin Ale - Bland & Meh! Drain.

Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek Barl Ale - Smells great, starts off tasting good and then just becomes a mess. Another drain!

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy - Finally, a decent beer tonight. Canned August 26, 2014, and just arrived in Alberta. A lovely drop, and great to see it available in Canada :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Torontoblue wrote:Yukon The Angry Hessian Pumpkin Ale - Bland & Meh! Drain.

Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek Barl Ale - Smells great, starts off tasting good and then just becomes a mess. Another drain!

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy - Finally, a decent beer tonight. Canned August 26, 2014, and just arrived in Alberta. A lovely drop, and great to see it available in Canada :)
age the TenFidy. it's a killer beer and i'd seriously suggest you just buy 12 cans and have them at your disposal.

Anderson Valley: mostly mediocre beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

drank last year's BCBS yesterday. man oh man. so fucking tasty.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek Barl Ale - Smells great, starts off tasting good and then just becomes a mess. Another drain!
I was so excited to find a few of them in Hamburg, and then I was disappointed.

Any reports on this year's pumpkin ales from Ontario? Which ones are you drinking right now (and really liking.)
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

atomeyes wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Yukon The Angry Hessian Pumpkin Ale - Bland & Meh! Drain.

age the TenFidy. it's a killer beer and i'd seriously suggest you just buy 12 cans and have them at your disposal.

Yeah, I've had 2 & 3 year old Fidy's before; the change is good. A few of these 8 will be hidden in the cellar for a while.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cratez wrote:Over the last few nights at home:
Creemore Springs Oktoberfest Lager
Timothy Taylor Landlord Pale Ale
Southern Tier Pumking
BrewDog Libertine Black Ale
Barn Door Oktober Fest Bier

Drank the Landlord and Libertine right away out of concern that they might be past due, but both were in fine form and I can see why the Landlord is considered the benchmark for the style. RE: the Barn Door. Anyone else think this drinks more like a maibock than an O-Fest? I've enjoyed everything I've had from these guys (Spring Bock, Summer Storm, Monster Mash) but this one didn't do it for me.
So jealous....been too long since i've had a TT landlord