Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

carguy

Post by carguy »

Big Wheel Deluxe Amber

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Yummy........a Ninkasi "Oatis" Oatmeal Stout. Fairly bitter, scorched stout, but with a nice creamy middle followed by a great bitter finish.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gaffel Koelsch, tastes less cold than Coors Light but it still drink good.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Duggan's Maibock and Altbier, and then (discovering the subway to be broken down) an awesome pint of 10 Bitter Years at C'est What. Duggan's pints were okay, but the value on the food was ridiculously poor.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Bobsy wrote:Duggan's Maibock and Altbier, and then (discovering the subway to be broken down) an awesome pint of 10 Bitter Years at C'est What. Duggan's pints were okay, but the value on the food was ridiculously poor.
Agreed on all fronts. 10 Bitter Years was the pint of the night and with the overpriced food we should have just gone to C'Est What.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

My last ceramic Lug Tread.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ritzkiss wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Duggan's Maibock and Altbier, and then (discovering the subway to be broken down) an awesome pint of 10 Bitter Years at C'est What. Duggan's pints were okay, but the value on the food was ridiculously poor.
Agreed on all fronts. 10 Bitter Years was the pint of the night and with the overpriced food we should have just gone to C'Est What.
That's too bad! Ergo my point about bars and restos in Toronto shooting themselves in the foot (either price, value, or consumability) so who knows how some businesses will keep at it over 5, 10 years....

The Cornish Hen is great at Duggan's. I also enjoyed the Maibock today. The Kölsch is the reall winner of the new three...
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Can you elaborate on that? What did you have? I actually quite like the food at Cest What so I don't necessarily disagree. That said, I have found most of the food at Duggan's to be reasonably priced for what you get. The quality seems to vary between awesome and just okay though, which is disappointing.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JerCraigs wrote:
Can you elaborate on that? What did you have? I actually quite like the food at Cest What so I don't necessarily disagree. That said, I have found most of the food at Duggan's to be reasonably priced for what you get. The quality seems to vary between awesome and just okay though, which is disappointing.
I ordered the bratwurst plate, which weighed in at $18. For that I got 2 sausages (around 5 inches long), two toasted slices of baguette, a few roasted potatoes and a very small container of sauerkraut. Frankly, it was pretty shit value, and the markup must have been ridiculous. Oddly enough, you could get a bratwurst with a toasted slice of baguette for $5, so doing the math, those few roast potatoes and four forkfuls of sauerkraut is supposedly worth $8.

My wife, however, had the spatzle (sp?), which was fairly tasty and probably worth its $14. Duggan's food is so hit and miss - some great things, and some things that are merely meh. He's not winning any friends with the value of some of these dishes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
I ordered the bratwurst plate, which weighed in at $18. For that I got 2 sausages (around 5 inches long), two toasted slices of baguette, a few roasted potatoes and a very small container of sauerkraut. ...

My wife, however, had the spatzle (sp?), which was fairly tasty and probably worth its $14....
Well I know Kraut food pretty well so I can comment.

Generally all Ontario sausage is pretty disappointing and flavorless, unless the sausage-maker is dealing directly with a small meat producer. There is about ONE producer of Nurnburger Bratwurst in Eastern Ontario that I think meets "German" standards. And - this is the kicker - A pair of Wurst with bread is about the cheapest thing going on a German menu - and usually very good compared to our 'industrial' version selling for three times the cost. I just don't expect very good sausage in Ontario restos because it just isn't widely available.

Späzle with some kind of meat in sauce is an unusual and probably worthwhile venture.

So Mike has put on some unusual specials, with mixed results, but I believe some of the food they serve is very good. I hope they can work that out! I have faith in a place that makes wings that tasty (and I hear the riibs are delicious.)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Also grabbed a bottle of SN 30th Anniversary Impy Stout to split with the London folks when I get back! :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Also grabbed a bottle of SN 30th Anniversary Impy Stout to split with the London folks when I get back! :D

I'm a London folk!! :)

Glad you're having fun Mike!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

bartle

Post by bartle »

Drinking a mix of Paddockwood in Saskatoon. Simple, tasty and delicious. The noire is pretty special.getting pints of the 606 for three bones made it a good choice.
enjoi

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Just had a Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout at the Goose Island brewpub... fucking amazing! I asked if I could buy more bottles to take home, they looked in the back and realized I had the last one. It deserves the rating it has on BA.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Smuttynose IPA, Ommegang Hennepin (holy fuck! :o), and Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale