Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Torontoblue wrote:Abyss & Dissident will more than likely be here on the next release. The agent tried to get them this time around but wasn't successful.

Alberta will be getting the Brewmaster's Series from Brooklyn on the shelves soon, I'm lead to believe.
I don't think they do The Dissident every year, so you will likely see that one in 2014. But you should see some Mirror Mirror in 2013.

jprime

Post by jprime »

Last night with some combintarion of Joe, Matt and Distr0:

Dieu du Ciel Grande Noirceur
À La Fût Ruine-Papilles
Sierra Nevada Celebrations
Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale (growler)
Nickle Brook Cuvee
Goose Island Bourbon County (bomber)
First Draft Brew Master Strong Ale
Alesmith Wee Heavy
Rogue Yellow Snow

I think thats it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jprime wrote: Goose Island Bourbon County (bomber)
Did you have an '09? That was the last year they bottled the regular version in bombers. If so, how was it? I've got a couple of those bombers that I have been sitting on.

jprime

Post by jprime »

nope. this years. It was a bomber filled at Premier Gourmet. Heavy stuff!!

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I think you mean growler.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jprime wrote:nope. this years. It was a bomber filled at Premier Gourmet. Heavy stuff!!
Oh yeah. I saw they had that in their growler station a few days ago. Would be interesting to try BCS on tap.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Brooklyn Black Ops 2012 (Whilst watching The Wraith...this has THE best music soundtrack EVER for a movie) - a lot more integrated and pleasant than the recent reviews have led me to believe :wink:
My wife picked me up a bottle in Calgary yesterday!
that's a damn pricey bottle of beer... haven't had one since 2009, it was good, but not worth $35-40.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Abyss & Dissident will more than likely be here on the next release. The agent tried to get them this time around but wasn't successful.

Alberta will be getting the Brewmaster's Series from Brooklyn on the shelves soon, I'm lead to believe.
I don't think they do The Dissident every year, so you will likely see that one in 2014. But you should see some Mirror Mirror in 2013.
I believe I read somewhere that Deschutes is planning to bump up production in the interest of releasing the Dissident annually.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I was tempted by the Goose Island BCBS growler fills but the price drove me away. Was already spending way too much per bottle due to the Alesmiths and Bolt Cutter, etc. Luckily I found 6 bottles sitting on the shelf at the original Village Beer location. It was still highway robbery ($7.99) but I just wanted to try it. I was shocked I went through duty-free after the guard asked me the value of the bottles.

Last night:

Beyond the Pale The Darkness
homebrew Motueka IPA

The Darkness was a serviceable stout, nothing special. I felt similarly about the Imperial Super Guy from the same brewery. The growlers weren't exactly the freshest, although they do use those same counterpressure fillers that Premier has so the shelf life is a bit longer. Would like to try the regular Rye Guy as the ISG was way too heavy on the malt.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Last night with friends:

Hoptical Illusions Smashbomb Atomic IPA
Delirium Tremens
Delirium Nocturnum
La Chouffe
Orval
- these were all solid standbys, nothing earth shattering

Stone More Brown than Black IPA - haven't had a bad hoppy beer from these guys yet, this one keeps the streak alive

Paddock Wood Ragutiene - baltic porter, about 2 years old, nothing wrong, but nothing too exciting

Eel River Raven's Eye Imperial Stout - Deep, smooth, rich chocolate and roast, delicious, really good, would buy if I see it again

Hoppin Frog Boris the Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout - multi-year GABF medal winner, but quite lame compared to the other 2 imperial stouts we sampled

My homebrewed "Black Diamond" Imperial Stout - bigger, badded and bolder than the other imperial stouts, pushing 12% abv, well integrated citrus hops, toffee/caramel middle (not sweet), chewy and rich without being cloying, long smooth bitter roasted finish, alcohol incredibly well hidden... very happy with how this one turned out.

My homebrewed Flanders Red - my newest blending, last year's has a lovely complex cherry note, this year it is more of a raspberry, good, but different

Friend's homebrewed spiced Belgian Dark Strong - excellent spice blend with orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, etc, very creamy spice, well integrated, one of the best spiced beers I've tasted

jprime

Post by jprime »

andrewrg wrote:I think you mean growler.
If a 750 ml flip top bottle is a growler then its a growler. I always thought a 2L growler was a growler. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Last night with JB84 and J343MY:

Great Lakes Dirt Bag McQuaig's Malt Liquor for Fine Gentlemen
Avery Hog Heaven
2011 Three Floyds Dark Lord (Brandy Vanilla Bean)
Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza
Goose Island Madame Rose
Troubadour Westkust (imperial black IPA)
Hoppin Frog Sweet Evil BBW
Flying Dog The Fear
Jolly Pumpkin Bambic
Cameron's RPA
Great Lakes Harry Porter
J343MY's Bourbon Oak Aged Barley Wine
Laughing Dog The Dogfather

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jprime wrote:
If a 750 ml flip top bottle is a growler then its a growler. I always thought a 2L growler was a growler. Correct me if i'm wrong.
I may be wrong but I think the term growler simply refers to the method by which the beer is filled/bottled as opposed to a specific size of bottle.

Also, I am pretty sure that the smaller size bottles from the Premier growler station that you are referring are 32 oz (which I think it a litre).

jprime

Post by jprime »

More BCBS. Would like to taste this after some aging but unfortunately you cant age half a "growler"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
jprime wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the term growler simply refers to the method by which the beer is filled/bottled as opposed to a specific size of bottle.

Also, I am pretty sure that the smaller size bottles from the Premier growler station that you are referring are 32 oz (which I think it a litre).
650ml = bomber
750ml = 750ml (usually corked and caged but not nessesarily, it bothers me when people refer to 750ml bottles as bombers because they are not)

growler = traditionally a 2 litre jug filled from a keg but bottle shops have started using the 1 litre and 750ml flip top bottles as "growlers", basically just so they can sell bottles of draft only beer, not at all what growlers were invented

the "growler" that Jeff had of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout was a 1 litre flip top from premier gourment