Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Derek wrote:I thought their Red (not to be confused with the Amber) was quite good. Nice malt profile, but still a fairly crisp finish.
Their red is actually one of my favourites of the entire Garrison lineup. Thought it a wonderfully brewed example of the style. I rated it very highly. I find people are too quick to dismiss simpler, less exciting styles...

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Last night...

Royal George Brown Ale from Barley Days.
Smashbomb.

I'll be sad when my 6'er of Royal George is gone. I am really enjoying this simple brown ale. As mentioned on here recently it is a wonderful style that seems to have been passed over by most breweries lately.

I also got a chance to sample the Barley Days oak aged dark ale and their maple syrup brew at their tasting room on the weekend. The oak really came through in the dark ale. I had a pint of the regular dark with my dinner later and defintitely preferred the standard version. The maple syrup flavour really stood out as well but to the point where the brew was too sweet to have much more than a sample. Too bad they were out of the stout and the IPA as I'd liked to have tasted them.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hart & Thistle Hop Rock Candy Mountain. A big flavourful brew that's artfully balanced.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Last night I tried Bud Light Lime Margarita. Awful, awful stuff.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Schmohz Treasure Chest ESB
Kensington Brewing Augusta Ale
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA
SteelbackGuy wrote: Last night I tried Bud Light Lime Margarita. Awful, awful stuff.
Your reaction surprises me. You seem like a margarita type of gal. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Streets

Post by Streets »

Homegrown Hamilton Grand River Coffee 'Porter'.

The barkeep/barrista said tht this new batch is actually a coffee ale, and it tastes a lot like Plowmans to me. Did you geta lot of coffee flavour ELectoluminescent?

Apparently they had an earlier Version which was a real 6+% porter style, while this new one is ~4% ale. Whatever it is it's damn tasty!
Last edited by Streets on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Streets wrote:Homegrown Hamilton Grand River Coffee 'Porter'.

The barkeep/barrista said tht this new batch is actually a coffee ale, and it tastes a lot like Plowmans to me. Did you geta lot of coffee flavour ELectoluminescent?

Apparently they had an earlier Version which was a real 6+% porter style, while this new one is ~4% ale. Whatever it is it's damn tasty!

As fate would have it I ran into Streets while he was drinking his and joined him for my first pint of this new batch.

The porter version was much heavier on the coffee, not sure which I prefer but the ale version definitely tasted like a Plowmans with some nice coffee bite that grew as it warmed up a bit.

I'll be back for more of whatever version they decide to go with.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm drinking KLEEN-PREP. A session of it, around 5 and a half pints I reckon. Gotta do an upper and a lower GI tomorrow. Fun times! (I'll post random tasting notes in Gary's new thread.)
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Czechvar - I'd guess about 100X better tasting than Belgian's quaff
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hey I got through 3/4 of it with minimal trauma - "We have clearance, Clarence!"

AM is the fourth satchet of powder in a liter of water, and tomorrow afternoon they give me nice drugs - thereafter I can't drive for 24 hours. But I will be extremely hungry, probably enough so to go eat at some bad chain restaurant in the area.
In Beerum Veritas

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Heady Topper

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:Hey I got through 3/4 of it with minimal trauma - "We have clearance, Clarence!"

AM is the fourth satchet of powder in a liter of water, and tomorrow afternoon they give me nice drugs - thereafter I can't drive for 24 hours. But I will be extremely hungry, probably enough so to go eat at some bad chain restaurant in the area.
You could always drop some hop oil in your Kleen Prep the next time you have to go through with this. Think of it as a cask IPA.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

$4 pint night at MKT, Edmonton:

Hacker-Pschorr Keller Bier
Amber's Kenmount Rd Chocolate Stout
Fuller's ESB
Fuller's London Porter
Ommegang Hennepin
Erdinger Dunkel

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Shared a Struise Kabert and Bell's Black Note.

No biggie.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

the good news - A relative heard I liked "local" beers and brought back a couple bottles from Minnesota.

The bad news: Hamms and Grainbelt. no Surly, New Glarus or anything of the sort - not even a Schell's. :(

At least I have a couple new ones to add to the worst beer thread that I'm gonna bump!