Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Tried this method with Boulevard BBAQ. works like a charm.
Opened a bottle on Sunday, drinking 2nd third just now. Nice carbonation, cherries are less pronounced on the nose but all the flavour is still there.

Bodes well for future purchases of large bottles (that are not IPAs)

Thanks again
over the holidays we got a couple bottles of Jackson-Triggs bubbly that came with attached bonus bottle stopper (similar to image). i tried it on a big beer bottle and it worked great, it has a spring loaded seal that is airtight, and it clips on to the ridge of the top so that it doesnt pop off. Could also probably find it at a kitchen store

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

My turn to bring beer to hockey tonight.

I brought 4 Landshark Lagers. They were snapped up right away. Based on style, I wasn't too surprised - some of my teammates bring Coors Light :( - but I was a little surprised that the brand seemed to be known.

The rest was a mix of Sleeping Giant Northern Logger Golden Ale and Kensington Market Pils.

I really like the Kensington Market Pils. It has strong bitterness which hits the spot just right for me.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

stone xocoveza - sipping on this right now. tons of different flavours. sweetness kept in check with some heavy cocoa-coffee bitterness. a really fun beer to drink! lacking in body though

recently:
bellwoods p.e.c. ipa w/ mosaic & simcoe - excellent orangey dank stuff. slight blueberry flavour
north coast old rasputin - been a while since i've had this but it's still really good. seems a little hoppier than i remember

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:My turn to bring beer to hockey tonight.

I brought 4 Landshark Lagers. They were snapped up right away. Based on style, I wasn't too surprised - some of my teammates bring Coors Light :( - but I was a little surprised that the brand seemed to be known.

The rest was a mix of Sleeping Giant Northern Logger Golden Ale and Kensington Market Pils.

I really like the Kensington Market Pils. It has strong bitterness which hits the spot just right for me.
Very amusing. Will pick up a can or two of Market Pils and give it a try based on your reco. Sounds like a good after-golf beer, since I can't quite manage hockey any more. Actually, I had it in my hand at Summerhill today but then I noticed it was date-stamped October 2016. Surely there Is some fresher stock somewhere in the system?!

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Just finished a 500ml block three loneliness aged in red wine barrels. I didnt enjoy it that much when it came out a few months ago, but that time in the cold storage has made it very enjoyable. Downed it like a session ipa despite being 8.7 abv. Next up my wife and i are each having one of our last 7 karma citras left. Canned oct 20, not as good as fresh, but still better than everything at the lcbo today except for the the fresh lake effect and fresh ransack.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

kevinlater wrote:stone xocoveza - sipping on this right now. tons of different flavours. sweetness kept in check with some heavy cocoa-coffee bitterness. a really fun beer to drink! lacking in body though
Had this last night and didn't enjoy it at all and I'm not a shy beer drinker. Maybe it was my palate, or maybe the beer was off but it was one of the very few beers I have ever drain poured. I even had it with desert (chocolate cake) thinking it pair well but nope!

When I grabbed this it was right beside the Stone RIS at $10 a bottle which was right beside Old Raspy at about $7 a bottle.

That's just not fair to the Stone RIS lol.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the last week or so:

-Wellington Kentucky Cow (BBA Chocolate Milk Stout) - From the LCBO. I previously purchased a bottle from the first run (brewery only; late 2015) and really enjoyed it, and so was willing to pay the 10-11 bucks for another bottle when I spotted it on shelves. Sadly I think this beer lost something when scaled up from "brewery one-off batch" size to "retail release batch" size. It was enjoyable enough this time around, but not as good as I seem to remember it being.
-Bench Brewing Ball's Falls Session IPA - LCBO. I'm not big on session IPAs, but this is one of the best Ontario-made ones I've tried to date. Starts off juicy, with stone fruit, melon and citrus, becoming more grassy/resiny and bitter towards the finish. Refreshing, flavourful; a winner.
-Magnotta True North Inukshuk IPA - LCBO. Actually a pretty nice little low-key English IPA. Leans toward the malty side, but the tea-leafy hops on the back end impart a pleasant bergamot orange vibe to the flavour profile. Those flimsy-ass six-pack holders need to go, though.
-Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA - LCBO. An old favourite, drinking as great as it always does. Get 'em before they're gone.
-Frank Brewing Old Comrade - From The Beer Store. A more-or-less standard Canadian amber ale, along the lines of, say, Spark House. Malt-forward and a tad sweet, but not overbearingly so.
-Mad Jack Hard Core Strong Apple Lager - TBS. Tastes like a regular Mad Jack mixed with malt liquor. Candy-sweet, with a slimy texture. Crap.
-Westmalle Dubbel - LCBO. It has returned! One of my favourite examples of this style. Gonna have to stock up.
-Amsterdam 2017 Helles Golden Lager - LCBO. A pretty good German-style lager, if you're in to that sort of thing. Amsterdam may have lost a step compared to the competition over the last few years, but this is still a better pale lager than most Ontario brewers seem capable of producing.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Shacklands Brewing Company:
Shacklands Bière de Garde (sample)

At LaVinia Restaurant:
Cervezas Moritz (bottle)

Over the week at home:
Cowbell Doc Perdue's Bobcat
Shacklands Belgian Blonde
Shacklands Belgian Porter
Shacklands Farmhouse IPA
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel
Stone Xocoveza Mocha Stout

Right now:
North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

bellwoods farmageddon batch #11 - a good saison, but not stellar. yeasty banana & bright apple wrapped in barrel funk. nice dry finish

today got a little hazy:
bellwoods jutsu - on tap at bar hop brewco. absolutely unbeatable at $5 (monday special)
high road bronan - on tap at the new boxcar social. a phenomenal ipa, probably my new favourite ontario beer

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote:My turn to bring beer to hockey tonight.

Last night, the choice was Busch, Busch Ice, or Old Milwaukee Ice. Sigh.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

kevinlater wrote: north coast old rasputin - been a while since i've had this but it's still really good. seems a little hoppier than i remember
Trying Old Rasputin for the first time, so I have no historical benchmark, but it is definitely hoppy. From the first whiff, I picked up more piney hops than roasted malts. For my personal tastes, this one is too hoppy for a stout. I think it drinks like a black IPA compared to Ten Fidy, which I really enjoyed. Need to get my hands on Stone RIS to see where that falls on the spectrum.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:Trying Old Rasputin - is too hoppy for a stout. I think it drinks like a black IPA compared to Ten Fidy, which I really enjoyed. Need to get my hands on Stone RIS to see where that falls on the spectrum.
To me a RIS like OR which is 'too hoppy' is almost my ideal as a BIPA. Most intentional BIPAs are not my thing at all.

Stone RIS is absolutely killer and offers the 'balance' you likely prefer; it's very different than Old Raspy & both are extremely special mainstays in my book. Oh man I'm excited people are still trying beers like Stone RIS for the first time, eager to hear their response.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Great Lakes Brewing, Allen's, and The Only Cafe:
Great Lakes Swamp Juice #33 (draft)
Junction Craft Conductor's Ale (draft)
Bellwoods Roman Candle IPA (draft)
Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale (draft)
Brimstone Lauter Tun Saints (sample)

Over the week at home:
Bellwoods Jelly King Plum
Amsterdam Pale Rider
Bellwoods Grandma's Boy 2017
Stone Arrogant Double Bastard Ale
Bellwoods Witchshark Imperial IPA

RE: Old Raspy. I personally consider this to be an iconic and near-perfect beer. Yes, it's hoppier than your average RIS, but it's still exceptionally well balanced IMO, and the robust hop profile is simply the brewery's unique take on the style. I also don't find it to be nearly as hoppy as most of the Imperial Black IPAs that I've had. But, as always, to each their own.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Within the last week:

-Lock Street Industrial Pale Ale (I.P.A.) - From the LCBO, 5.5%. Good malt backing, with earthy, dirty hops and muddled citrus. Passable, but definitely not a stand-out - another Ontario pale ale to throw onto the pile.
-Refined Fool Battery of Barracudas Black Ale - Bomber from the brewery, 5.7%. Much less aggressive than their Murder of Crows, but along the same sort of lines. Roasted malts and Simcoe hops from start to finish. Balanced, as far as this style goes; not bad.
-Ernest Dry Cider - LCBO, 6.5%. I've had this one a bunch of times over the last half year or so, and it's starting to become a staple for me - a reliable go-to in the Ontario dry cider category.
-Oskar Blues Ten FIDY - LCBO. Heavenly. My only regret is not buying more than 4 cans. Maybe I'll find a few more in London later this week to hoard.
-Anderson IPA - LCBO six-pack. I was pretty satisfied with this one. Doesn't do anything new or exciting, but it's tasty and real easy to knock back for a 6.5% IPA. Definitely going to check this place out the next time I'm in the Forest City.
-Refined Fool Let's Wear Balaclavas (Strong Belgian Dark Ale) - From the brewery, 10%. A decent effort, but lacking in depth and complexity.
-Nøgne Ø / Terrapin Imperial Rye Porter - LCBO, 9%. Delicious, and full-bodied. I love rye, so my opinion is absolutely biased here, but this was my favourite new beer of the week.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Goose Island Gillian - Wow! - super-nice sour with benefits. Hazy orange and funky with some bretty gauze, layers of lemony sourness verging on Gueuze-like tart, a bit apple-vinegar acetic, then it has these nice layers of tart and sweet (I would say uncommonly pretty) strawberry, pale tropical fruit & gentle phenolic spice that really compliments from the white pepper. Aroma escapes the uncapping with some immediate berry, closer in there is some wet-log mushroom and cheese-rind funk amid the singing lemon-tart. Noble babe of a beer like its namesake. A real treat as über-schmancy Sour ales go, very glad I went in for this enjoyment plus a spare bottle.

For less Geld anyone could do very well with Bam Biere from Jolly Punpkin. It's a different sour beast with a sleeker drier profile than Gillian but well worth finding. Stellar value, may be at clearout prices or it may not.
In Beerum Veritas