Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:My first 10 Bitter Years for 4 months. I forgot how much oak there was in the finish on this. Just a wonderful beer. Gotta make the other 11 bottles last now :cry:
Had one last night, and I'm with you on the oak. While they may not have used any wood in this, I definitely got the same vanilla I get from an oak barrel.

Really neat beer. The more times I drink it, the more I like it.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I loved the two bottles of 10 Bitter Years I managed to get ahold of. I wish I could have gotten more.
A- / 4.25
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 5
rDev: +1.2%

Orange toned copper in colour; capped by off-white foam that, here and there, clings to the walls of my glass in small patches. Ten Bitter Years smells citric and tropical, also showing notes of bread and cedar. It's a laser guided tangerine bomb aimed straight for my taste buds, leaving behind an aftermath of citrus pith, pine, and lingeringly embittered taste buds. Mildly sweet. Medium bodied and smoothly carbonated. Feels oily, resinous, and a little bit sticky. Sadly staring at my empty glass, I wish I had more of this extremely moreish drink. It's a damned shame this is a one off.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 05-10-2010 03:46:05

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

mintjellie wrote:I loved the two bottles of 10 Bitter Years I managed to get ahold of. I wish I could have gotten more.
I wish I could have gotten any. I also wish Black Oak had longer store hours, I was actually out that way at the time it was on sale but could never make it there before 4.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

21st Amendment "Brew Free or Die" IPA. From a can. Hop aroma smacks you as soon as the can is popped. Drinks real easy for a 7% IPA. Nice bitterness, backed with a good malt profile. Nice long bitter finish. Yummy!!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Torontoblue wrote:21st Amendment "Brew Free or Die" IPA. From a can. Hop aroma smacks you as soon as the can is popped. Drinks real easy for a 7% IPA. Nice bitterness, backed with a good malt profile. Nice long bitter finish. Yummy!!
I remember that one being super nice, gotta love good beers in a can.

Drinking Creemore Keller and Brewsters Blue Monk Barleywine.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A 2005 St. Bernardus Prior 8, my last bottle I have. Amazing - is like a power dubbel on steroids, with tons of toffee malt and deep brroding fruit, smooth, the alcohol is undetectable. It has aged rather well into a perfect balance!!

Hey LCBO. Bring back St Bernardus! (actually I have two or three of the Abt 12's kicking around... but the 8 is perfection, as it should be in tribute to Westvleteren 8, what some argue is the best St Sixtus beer.)
In Beerum Veritas

Queef

Post by Queef »

DFH festina peche...older bottle, butvan interesting take on a Berliner wiess. I think I would like to get a fresher bottle and have it in the shade in the yard on a hot day.
it's beer o'clock.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Central City Red Racer. After the 21st Amendment it tastes just so........................normal and one dimensional. And it's a fresh can too :cry:
Last edited by Torontoblue on Thu May 13, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Hacker Pshorr Hefe
Weihenstephaner Hefe
Beau's Lug Tread

Sidney Crosby's tears - they taste so sweet
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Sorry, I have not been following the string...Maybe others have offered notes on these.

First had a Duggan's "9". Really, really lovely and flavourful. Like Tankhouse to the Nth degree.

And then a Gouden Carolus Ambrio. I got a case of the Classic for a gift, but this is the first I have ever heard of this one. (The Classic appears in CAMRA's 100 Belgium Beers to try Before You Die .) Ambrio is a fine ruby ale, deep and palatable like the Classic, but not quite as dark and alcoholic.

Both are lovely. Both were recent birthday gifts.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

bartle

Post by bartle »

Torontoblue wrote:Central City Red Racer. After the 21st Amendment it tastes just so........................normal and one dimensional. And it's a fresh can too :cry:
21st Amendment is the bomb! The IPA is pretty crazy. Have you had the Monks Blood?
enjoi

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Uncle Bobby wrote: First had a Duggan's "9". Really, really lovely and flavourful. Like Tankhouse to the Nth degree.
:D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:Central City Red Racer. After the 21st Amendment it tastes just so........................normal and one dimensional. And it's a fresh can too :cry:
Posts like this always make me go "hmmm, how did THAT happen??"

Yeah no point wasting a brilliant 'regular' IPA after a monster one. In fact nearly every fantastic beer is best enjoyed on a fresh palate, or at least a palate not already maxed out. A mistake we've all made! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:

Yeah no point wasting a brilliant 'regular' IPA after a monster one. In fact nearly every fantastic beer is best enjoyed on a fresh palate, or at least a palate not already maxed out. A mistake we've all made! ;)
The red Racer was on a clean palate; I'd just had a big glass of water before drinking it. It just felt so one dimensional after the very balanced 21st Amendment. It was a bit of a shock as I've always liked the Red racer for it's bitterness, but it just felt like it was all bitterness and not much else.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:
Belgian wrote:

The red Racer was on a clean palate; I'd just had a big glass of water before drinking it. It just felt so one dimensional after the very balanced 21st Amendment. It was a bit of a shock as I've always liked the Red racer for it's bitterness, but it just felt like it was all bitterness and not much else.

Like victory prime pils, a one way street.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!