Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D
Same here, this is forcing me to go through the "cellar" since I've been sitting on far too many beers. Recently drank a bottle of Great Lake's 30th Anniversary BBA imperial stout, but I've still got a bottle of the 25th Anniversary RIS left- I should probably get on that one.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Same here, this is forcing me to go through the "cellar" since I've been sitting on far too many beers. Recently drank a bottle of Great Lake's 30th Anniversary BBA imperial stout, but I've still got a bottle of the 25th Anniversary RIS left- I should probably get on that one.
I' too have a 25th Anniversary squirreled away. I've been saving it for a special occasion. Yesterday I decided that occasion will be when I can have a beer with friends again. I hope it doesn't have to age too much longer. It should now be just about right.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:
seangm wrote:

I' too have a 25th Anniversary squirreled away. I've been saving it for a special occasion. Yesterday I decided that occasion will be when I can have a beer with friends again. I hope it doesn't have to age too much longer. It should now be just about right.
Sounds like a good occasion, hopefully it comes sooner than later.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I did another cellar dive and pulled out a 2014 Glutenberg Imperial Sotolon. I recall this being an interesting and nice beer as far as being something directed at a specific dietary audience.

I'd say it survived and thrived in the cellar on most points, but wow (ick, gross, yack, puke), did this end up with a cloying maple syrup flavor. When young there was a little in the background, now I feel like I just tasted some horrible CNE confectionery of the year. BLAH!

Anybody here remember when Rogue went from an interesting brewery to jumping the shark with that maple bacon crap? This brought back that sad memory.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

3F Golden Blend 2014

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Goose Island Brewhouse Dysphoria - BBA Baltic porter. Definitely barrel forward, lots of bourbon, sweet vanilla oak and caramel. Well carbonated and feels thin for 12.9% beer. Very enjoyable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I am having a Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout for the first time, the non-oaked version.

I like the bit of roast and rich chocolate, I also find the caramel sweet element and green-woody hops are a little strong.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:I am having a Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout for the first time, the non-oaked version.

I like the bit of roast and rich chocolate, I also find the caramel sweet element and green-woody hops are a little strong.
I love this one, personally I enjoyed it most at around 1 1/2 yrs old as I find that initial hop note dies down and lets the chocolate and roast really shine.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having a Sweetwater IPA, honestly not that exciting after a Bellwoods Jutsu but regardless it's fairly solid quaff.

We're so spoiled for IPA in 2020... I suspect this one is aged at no extra charge by the LCBO.

Also having a COLLECTIVE ARTS Mango Tangerine Sour. It's pretty good I think.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza — Three years resting in the bottle and it's lovely: bright, dry, funky, with some lemon character and gives me vivid Orval flashbacks. The 8% abv is invisible until you get to the end of the bottle. Glad I swiped a few of these when LCBO was discounting them.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza — Three years resting in the bottle...
We need more Jolly up in here! 8)

Two Belgian experiences that Belgian is now experiencing are: Meuse Saison de la Meuse, and New Limburg Blond.

Both bottles are one or two months young, and in fine shape... I'm very much liking them both but I will say the Meuse offers great value and has a bit more oomph as a style for me. But I still like the citrusy Tangerine-juicy aspect of the NL though. Meuse is a killer saison, different from DuPont but possibly equal --- I can't believe it's not talked about here but there you go, Both ales are bottle-conditioned for longer development and are also quite fine right now. Try 'em..

Edit - having a June 2019 bottle of Bench Oak Grove, wow this has evolved a lot in a year. Finer and more wine like in the minerality and acidity. The lemon and lime citrus is now delectable and there's a touch of saltiness under the bit of apricot fruit. Some LCs are discounting this 30%, might be worth grabbing a few.

In Beerum Veritas

roland

Post by roland »

Do you know which stores are offering the Oak Grove discount? Thanks.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza — Three years resting in the bottle...
We need more Jolly up in here! 8)

Two Belgian experiences that Belgian is now experiencing are: Meuse Saison de la Meuse, and New Limburg Blond.

Both bottles are one or two months young, and in fine shape... I'm very much liking them both but I will say the Meuse offers great value and has a bit more oomph as a style for me. But I still like the citrusy Tangerine-juicy aspect of the NL though. Meuse is a killer saison, different from DuPont but possibly equal --- I can't believe it's not talked about here but there you go, Both ales are bottle-conditioned for longer development and are also quite fine right now. Try 'em..

Edit - having a June 2019 bottle of Bench Oak Grove, wow this has evolved a lot in a year. Finer and more wine like in the minerality and acidity. The lemon and lime citrus is now delectable and there's a touch of saltiness under the bit of apricot fruit. Some LCs are discounting this 30%, might be worth grabbing a few.

Is the Meuse available at lcbo?? Someone on here was telling me I should try it, not long ago. For whatever reason, I just assumed it was a brewery only thing??
If it’s even close to DuPont good, then I’ve got to get some.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Had the new Godspeed Taru Ichi barrel aged Porter and the new Baby Shizumu pale ale, so nice!

Now trying the 2016 Cascade Vitis Noble, wow definitely a great experience. Is about 30% off on clearance at Summerhill store. This sucker has looong flavours from the barrel ageing with Chardonnay grapes.
In Beerum Veritas