Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Belgian wrote:...I blended...
The spirit of Gary Gilman lives on the Bartowel. :)

munrets

Post by munrets »

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Belgian wrote:HaandBukk Doppelbock is absolutely amazing.
You gotta seize the chance to drink a Norwegian dopplebock! I enjoyed it as well. Not too sweet like some lesser doppelbocks (Common Good's, for example). I enjoyed the fruity/roasty maltiness. It really shines at warmer temperatures.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Birreria Volo:
Founders Rübæus (draft)
Dominion City Sunsplit IPA (draft)
Founders Porter (draft)
Nickel Brook Uber Berliner Weisse - Peaches (draft)
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (sample)

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes & Forked River First Day Of Spring IPA
Great Lakes Bryden's Hazelnut Brown Ale
Great Lakes Beer Schwing!
Rainhard Hearts Collide
Great Lakes & Escarpment Labs F'turk Kveik
HaandBryggeriet Haandbukk

Right now:
Coffee :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Garrison Juicy DIPA- wow.......I don't think I've been lied to this badly by a beer before. Claimi g to be an east coast IPA, dank,tropical,Juicy and hazy. Absolutely not! Hazy.....damn it's pretty similar looking to an adjunct lager. Dank, nope. Tropical, ok yeah I taste a tiny bit of mango. Juicy no no no, unless you consider Sunny D to be juicy. Seriously, this is bad, all malt, a tiny bit of mango flavour and some nasty woody flavour. Overly sweet and unbalanced. I guess this is a few months old, and hope it's significantly better fresh, but this is just wrong on so many levels. One of the biggest waste of 5$ in a long time. I made it through about 2/3 before dumping the rest.
Avoid this beer.

On the plus side, last night I had my last bottle of the original Barncat Rat Queen release. It was out of this world. It was fantastic when I had the first couple bottles fresh, but this, with almost 2 years age on it was phenomenal. I'm sad to see it gone. Possible the best impy stout I've ever drank.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Garrison Juicy DIPA- wow.......I don't think I've been lied to this badly by a beer before. Claimi g to be an east coast IPA, dank,tropical,Juicy and hazy. Absolutely not! Hazy.....damn it's pretty similar looking to an adjunct lager. Dank, nope. Tropical, ok yeah I taste a tiny bit of mango. Juicy no no no, unless you consider Sunny D to be juicy. Seriously, this is bad, all malt, a tiny bit of mango flavour and some nasty woody flavour. Overly sweet and unbalanced. I guess this is a few months old, and hope it's significantly better fresh, but this is just wrong on so many levels. One of the biggest waste of 5$ in a long time. I made it through about 2/3 before dumping the rest.
Avoid this beer.

On the plus side, last night I had my last bottle of the original Barncat Rat Queen release. It was out of this world. It was fantastic when I had the first couple bottles fresh, but this, with almost 2 years age on it was phenomenal. I'm sad to see it gone. Possible the best impy stout I've ever drank.
Weird, the can of Juicy DIPA I had was the complete opposite. I found the mango so prominent I thought they'd added actual mango juice. It wasn't hazy like I expected, but definitely not clear- I'd say an unfiltered cloudy appearance. No doubt it was sweet, although I surprisingly didn't mind the maltiness. Only complaint from my notes was that it felt under-carbonated which negatively affected some of the aromatic and head production qualities. Maybe they've got some serious issues with inconsistency for this one? Reviews are all over the map on the usual rating websites as well.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Garrison Juicy DIPA- wow.......I don't think I've been lied to this badly by a beer before. Claimi g to be an east coast IPA, dank,tropical,Juicy and hazy. Absolutely not! Hazy.....damn it's pretty similar looking to an adjunct lager. Dank, nope. Tropical, ok yeah I taste a tiny bit of mango. Juicy no no no, unless you consider Sunny D to be juicy. Seriously, this is bad, all malt, a tiny bit of mango flavour and some nasty woody flavour. Overly sweet and unbalanced. I guess this is a few months old, and hope it's significantly better fresh, but this is just wrong on so many levels. One of the biggest waste of 5$ in a long time. I made it through about 2/3 before dumping the rest.
Avoid this beer.

Weird, the can of Juicy DIPA I had was the complete opposite. I found the mango so prominent I thought they'd added actual mango juice. It wasn't hazy like I expected, but definitely not clear- I'd say an unfiltered cloudy appearance. No doubt it was sweet, although I surprisingly didn't mind the maltiness. Only complaint from my notes was that it felt under-carbonated which negatively affected some of the aromatic and head production qualities. Maybe they've got some serious issues with inconsistency for this one? Reviews are all over the map on the usual rating websites as well.
definitely clear for me!
and I agree with seangm's take
@markhamwhisky

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Hopcity - hot bot IPA followed by a Bear Hug IPA

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

MacLean's IPA - a good English hopped IPA. If you like this style, make sure to try it, if you haven't already.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Avoid this beer.
Totally agree with you.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
seangm wrote:
Avoid this beer.

definitely clear for me!
and I agree with seangm's take
Wow, that is very clear. Definitely some inconsistency going on between cans- here's a photo of my pour for comparison:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_-Sm43 ... sp=sharing

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

[quote="sofakingdrunk"]Garrison Juicy DIPA- wow.......I don't think I've been lied to this badly by a beer before. Claimi g to be an east coast IPA, dank,tropical,Juicy and hazy. Absolutely not! Hazy.....damn it's pretty similar looking to an adjunct lager. Dank, nope. Tropical, ok yeah I taste a tiny bit of mango. Juicy no no no, unless you consider Sunny D to be juicy. Seriously, this is bad, all malt, a tiny bit of mango flavour and some nasty woody flavour. Overly sweet and unbalanced. I guess this is a few months old, and hope it's significantly better fresh, but this is just wrong on so many levels. One of the biggest waste of 5$ in a long time. I made it through about 2/3 before dumping the rest.
Avoid this beer.

I didn't care much for this either. Just kind of blah. Really wish they would bring back Garrison's Imperial IPA. I remember enjoying that beer quite a bit.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

At Craft in Liberty Village:
Danforth Brewery Snowbird - This is a very good coconut porter. I found the coconut subtle yet present, and the malt and yeast complexity is quite good.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Nickelbrook Headstock IPA - On sale and canned April 9.
Bellwoods Monogamy Mosaic

For the past couple years I revisit Headstock periodically, hoping it will be as good as I remember it in days gone by (back when the cans were hideous and it was my favorite local IPA). Drinking this back to back with Bellwoods' latest Monogamy and there's no comparison (yes, I know the Bellwoods is 2x the price). I think the hazy IPAs just hold/display hops better, hands down. This Headstock is fresh and I like the hop profile, but it doesn't scratch my hop itch like it used to. I find with the older West Coast IPAs, the first few sips are underwhelming, but they build up flavour intensity as you get to the bottom of a pint (or two) and can still satisfy. Conversely, the NE style, when done right, delivers the hop fix straight away.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

I just finished my 2nd beer hug IPA, for me this is one of the better/excellent IPA's out there.
However, everyone has different taste and I'm not going to dispute it.

Great Lakes - Octupos wants to Fight is another awesome IPA