Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Cale wrote:Tree Hop Head Black IPA

Did not expect to see this at Dundurn when I dropped by for some Red Racer! Had the whole feature minus the DIPA.

Me too! It strikes a nice balance between hoppy and roasty. My only (minor) gripe is I wish it was a little less boozy - dare I say, a few months in the bottle may help it?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:

Did not expect to see this at Dundurn when I dropped by for some Red Racer! Had the whole feature minus the DIPA.

Me too! It strikes a nice balance between hoppy and roasty. My only (minor) gripe is I wish it was a little less boozy - dare I say, a few months in the bottle may help it?
How does it compare to the Garrison?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Punacious
Naughty Neighbor

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:

How does it compare to the Garrison?
oh, man - trying to dig that beer out of the memory vault.

I think I remember Garrison's a little more quaffable than this, but I like the "sipper" aspect of this one - Garrison's may have been more juicy with the hops, but I find this one more rich and roasty - especially when it warms up.

But am I remembering right that Garrison's was kind of muddled? I dunno.

I wish I had a garrison' in front of me, to compare.

One thing, is this one's definitely "bigger"! For better or for worse.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tree Hefeweizen, a refreshing simple north american Weisse.

Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse, my God this is music to my taste buds!!! Other Weisse beers must cower in shame if there is any Hop-Weisse lurking on the shelf. Well the Nelson Sauvin offers no apologies either, from Schneider.
In Beerum Veritas

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I really enjoyed the Tree Hefe. I'll grab a few more of those before they're gone.

Last night had some Red Racer, Punk IPA(solid, but nothing extra special), Beau's Mango Saison, Lugtread and smashbomb
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

Yum. This makes up for the 7 month old bottle of Double Jack I had last time.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

The regular Yeti, a young sample bottled in January of this year, blended 1:1 with Flying Monkey Amber. So potent is the Yeti the mix doesn't change the taste that much, but it reduces some of the harshness (burned expresso-like) of the young Yeti.

Result: a double stout such as the 1800's would have known, i.e., 7.5% ABV and lots of taste and bitterness.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Drinking it at volo right now. This is the best black ipa I've ever had. That includes DDC.

This. Is. Awesome. Its a monster though at 9%.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout.

This is great. I didn't have any expectations for this one and now I wish I had saved it for a tasting that I'll be attending in a couple of weeks. Oh well.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Alley Kat Full Moon - regular tap

Alley Kat Yellow Dragon DIPA (brewed with experimental hop HBC 342). Big aroma and flavours of bubblegum, watermelon, piney resin & some spice. A very enjoyable, fruity, bitter DIPA. Let's hope this hop goes into full production.

Followed by the remaining half bottle of Rose de Gambrinus at home.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JeffPorter wrote:Drinking it at volo right now. This is the best black ipa I've ever had. That includes DDC.

Sorry - smart phone error. It was the Fermium I had last night - awesome beer!

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout.

This is great. I didn't have any expectations for this one and now I wish I had saved it for a tasting that I'll be attending in a couple of weeks. Oh well.
Damn you for not knowing what a beer would taste like before drinking it!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JeffPorter wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Drinking it at volo right now. This is the best black ipa I've ever had. That includes DDC.

Sorry - smart phone error. It was the Fermium I had last night - awesome beer!
was there last night too and also had a ferminum. definitely one of my favourites in the house ales lineup.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout.

i'm a huge fan of their Victory At Sea. totally kickass.