Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I thought you regularly drank at work? It'd be rude not to drink what you're selling....wouldn't it?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Amsterdam Lady Stavoren Wheat Wine...

...um...one of the best and most refreshing beers I've had from an Ontario brewery. (I'm tired of saying this, btw, from either a beer by Lackey or Ian: Tempest, JDBA Tempest, Karma Citra, Stalin's Choice, and now this...) My first ever wheat wine, but holy moly, are all wheat wines like that?

Also, while it was awesome and I had to refrain from licking my glass, I may be more sad, now that my single bottle is gone.

Can you make this again, please, Ian?
Does anyone know if this is still available?
Amsterdam tweeted that they opened with 9 bottles left when they opened at 11 this morning. Not sure right now.

In terms of passing on it for its "wheatiness", it's pretty fantastic. It's very pale and refreshing like a weiss, not really that bannana and clove characteristic, but more like a lemon and honey quality. They used sorachi ace and amarillo for the hops, I think.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JeffPorter wrote:In terms of passing on it for its "wheatiness", it's pretty fantastic. It's very pale and refreshing like a weiss, not really that bannana and clove characteristic, but more like a lemon and honey quality. They used sorachi ace and amarillo for the hops, I think.
at least to me, wheatwines should always be more kin to barleywines than weisses. i've made one a couple times now and it's a style I really like. the one common commercial flaw i've seen is them being overly sweet. can't speak to where iain's ranks on that scale though. based on past experience it's probably stellar.

incidentally, Viggo and I made one of these at Indie last month that went into 4 fresh bourbon barrels. look for it in the near future. barrel samples were tasting pretty amazing when i was last down there.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:at least to me, wheatwines should always be more kin to barleywines than weisses.
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

grub wrote:the one common commercial flaw i've seen is them being overly sweet.
I think I've only had one wheat wine (Weyerbacher Fourteen), I found it sickly sweet and boozy. I have avoided the style since then, but may need to give it another chance.

Back on topic:

Beau's Strong Patrick
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Streets

Post by Streets »

Attended the Grand River beer club last night for the welcome to the neighbrewhood event. Sampled Grand River's Irish red ale St. Patrick's Day beer, surprisingly hoppy. Also had sips of a new Stout from Oast House, an Alt style fom Kilannan In Owen Sound, Augusta Ale & Fish EyePA from Kensington, the new version of Curmudgeon, and finally Sawdust City's Long dark trip to Uranus...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

how was it? (with some age on it)
cratez wrote:
spinrsx wrote: St. Feuillien Grand Cru at the lcbo now? or you have a bottle from somewhere else.
Got it from Weiland's Gourmet Market in Columbus. I think it was a few years old - BB June '13 and usually these dates are 3-5 years down the road for high gravity, bottle conditioned Belgians - so it'll be interesting to compare the flavour profile to the (likely) fresh bottles that come to the Board.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Founders Centennial IPA x 2 - don't think freshness is an issue with this batch as my bottles are pouring clear and the hop aroma is pungent as hell. The Board clerks will probably wonder if there's crack inside this when they see how fast it sells.
spinrsx wrote: how was it? (with some age on it)
Not bad. I usually struggle to get through BSPAs but this one had enough fruity nuances (pear, mango, green apple) and dryness to hold my attention. Got a bit of raw bread dough on the nose which surprised me given that the yeastiness is supposed to mellow with age; however it didn't overpower the other aromas. ABV was undetectable even as the beer reached room temp. Overall I'd say it's a very clean, fruity and dry Belgian pale that drinks like a stronger version of their saison.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

heebes

Post by heebes »

cratez wrote: Founders Centennial IPA x 2 - don't think freshness is an issue with this batch as my bottles are pouring clear and the hop aroma is pungent as hell..
agreed! :D

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Creemore Keller

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

was there a date on yours?
heebes wrote:
cratez wrote: Founders Centennial IPA x 2 - don't think freshness is an issue with this batch as my bottles are pouring clear and the hop aroma is pungent as hell..
agreed! :D

heebes

Post by heebes »

Nope. I checked every 6 pack too. Didn't see a date on any. I've emailed Founders but not expecting a reply.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

heebes wrote: I've emailed Founders but not expecting a reply.
Why not, most brewers I've ever emailed have been pretty good about responding...

Me: one year old Charlevoix Imperial Milk Stout! Yum! Best head retention I've seen in so long...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

heebes

Post by heebes »

Green Flash West Coast IPA tasting MUCH better than initial release. Still with a month on it..

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Picked up a 6 of the Founders today...was wondering about freshness...got to get into those asap.

Right now, I'm drinking a Stone Enjoy By 04/01/13, and needless to say, it's the freshest tasting IPA i've had in a bottle at home.