Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Kish84 wrote:This weekend while camping in Canandaigua:

Growler of Troegs Perpetual IPA
multiple cans of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale and Deviant Dale's IPA
lots of gin and random "kitchen sink" drinks.
Where did you camp? How was the park?

Any recommendations for parks in that area? More interested in natural environments with a focus on tent camping.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

At Toronado on the current trip to SF, Twist of Fate cask which was served in exemplary condition, i.e., properly fined and at cellar temperature. It was described to me as an English bitter in style, with which I'd agree except it seemed a little sweet for that, in 1800's terms at any rate I'd think it was a mild ale. Nice but a little rich for me.

Death and Taxes was the second one, a black lager in style, but in the end it was similar to many regular-gravity stouts and porters I've had with that sharp roasty note that may denote roasted grains of some kind. Okay but not great IMO.

Lunch was the usual (for me) sausage from the place next door.

Withal this visit seemed to underwhelm, but it was just that, one visit, and I'll try it again unless Zeitgeist gets the nod.

Gary

P.S. The service was prompt and friendly, always appreciated by the visitor. At another bar, a glass of Anchor Porter went almost untouched due to a taste that seemed attributable to pipes that needed a flushing. It can happen anywhere. I ordered a Bass Ale in lieu and the reason I did is it is brewed now in Baldwinsville, NY and I wanted to see what it was like. Well, it was as good or better in fact than the keg and bottled imports, with that typical complex appley taste, and quite bitter too. I am sure this is one historical version of the IPA taste and this is because White Shield is not that different in taste albeit heavier and "fresher" due to the presence of live yeast. A classic taste of history, I am coming to believe more and more, and one I am warming to after, well, 40 years or so. :)
Gary Gillman

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Thanks Cale. I read in a BA thread that Buffalo got just the Summer Yulesmith. We can only hope that leads to more (like Speedway).
Alesmith has been in NY for a few years now, with their whole line available around NYC, but only Yulesmith seems to be making it up to Buffalo. I'll be a happy (and poorer) man when i have an easy source of Old Numbskull available... not to mention the rest of their stuff.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Summit Summer Ale - a delicious thirst-quenching Kolsch with big lemony, grassy, and herbal hops and a nutty malt backbone.
Summit Extra Pale Ale - a solid English pale with a full, rounded flavour and balanced hop bite.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cale wrote:At Steelbackguy's for a quick little tasting:

Stone 10th Anniv. Ruination - holy crap why didn't I buy multiple growlers
Picaroons Timber Hog
Nickel Brook Peasants Saison Wit
Ayinger Brau-Weisse
Mad Tom
Thanks for sharing boys and girl!

The Stone 10 Anniv Ruination is likely the best beer I have had in a LOOOOOONG time!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

munrets

Post by munrets »

Drinking the 10th Anniversary Ruination myself at the moment. Shazam! Fapow! Slight pool tarp!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Trumer Pils with lunch at Crab Shack in SF, an early (the first?) transatlantic collaboration. Excellent pils beer, Germanic but urbane in style. It reminded me of numerous 1970's imports such as St Pauli Girl, La Belle Strasbourgeoise, Dinckelacker, Wurzburger, and brought back nice memories. Well-executed by the outfit in Berkeley that makes it for the U.S. market.

A terrific Firestone Walker at an Assian restaurant last night, styled simply "amber" on the menu, English tasting with a Burton pale ale influence clearly. Perfect balance and taste.

After a long walk today, 21st Amendment's Back In Black which really impressed with its rich porter taste and deft American hopping.

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Summit Bohemian Pilsener
Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Last night I was at Red Lobster, and I was sort of excited to go as last time I went the `Red Claw Amber`brewed for them was on point. But they do not carry it anymore so I drank some wine with what is likely the worst overpriced meal I have ever eaten.

Once at home, I decided to crack into a bottle of the New Morning Saison from Italy. The nose was honeyed to the extreme and I thought the beer was going to be a sugar blast, but it was only subtly sweet and was spicy and tart. Good stuff.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stone Ruination Ale Classic.

-- anybody else tried that Church Key Belgian Red ale at Only Cafe, I think it's a new one.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Mine say 'G1912' - is that July 19th 2012?
PeenSteen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:where abouts on the bottle is the bottling date? I didn't see one on my bottles
PeenSteen wrote:Drinking a Boneshaker bottled August 1 all in the name of IPA day
its small and on the upper part of the neck of the bottle

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:Church Key Belgian Red
I like those last two words. The first two preceding them however...

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Half pints, not always finished, facilitates sampling.

By far the best beer of the trip so far was Gaffer at Russian River, the only English-style pale ale offered amongst the impressive range, and a winner it was. As good as England's best and better than many I've had there.

Big Daddy IPA, sampled at Tommy's Joynt in SF, had big but very drinkable APA tastes. Still, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, tasted at Tommy's again, takes the cake for me for APA, it has a flowery complexity that segues almost into English territory.

Speakeasy had a 7.5% porter at Tommy's that was nice but not special IMO - the bartender agreed with me that Anchor's porter is better but none was to be had at Geary and Van Ness that day.

A scotch ale from a local brewer was good, a little winy and astringent, but not as rich as I hoped.

Back at Russian River, today the 25th anniversary Toronado was released, in growlers and on draft (to celebrate Toronado's 25 years in business). This is a sour barrel-aged blend of beers - this degree of sourness is not my thing but many at the bar liked it. I added a bit to the house porter and my wife agreed that was an excellent drop but still Gaffer's took the palm for us that day. I was only able of course to taste 3 beers out of 20 or so...

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tonight is

Great Lakes Brewing Harry Porter and the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans (with thanks to Cale and Mel!)

and some Naughty Neighbour I picked up today at the brewery!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

New Holland - Black Hatter - Black IPA.
I LOVE MI beer.