Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I was there on Monday and stocked up nicely :-)

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Enjoying a Southern Tier Cherry Saison.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Great Lakes Green Tea Ale. The tea seems more pronounced than I remember it from the TFOB. The beer seems quite mild but fairly bitter. I am certainly no expert but I think it seems more from the tea than a hoppy bitter. I can certainly see myself enjoying a few of these on the balcony once it gets a bit warmer.

Had a Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry earlier. Pretty yummy too!

I don't think I'll ever be a big fan of extra flavours added to beer but I like to try new stuff once in a while. Kudos to the brewers for trying something different.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Tonight I've had a Hockley Dark, and am currently enjoying a Durham Signature Ale.

I think Durham Signature is probably one of my favourite OCB brews. So sessionable and damn tasty!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Mill St. Barley Wine 2008. This is a superb interpretation of a strong English stock beer style, probably very close to the old October beers of the English countryside. It is very well-knit and while upwards of a year old shows no sign of wear (no signs of oxidation or excess acidity) but offers good brandy-like heft and taste. Surely a taste of history, but, to enjoy it at its utmost, drink at room temperature or only lightly cooled. My bottle has been opened and closed for a month and the exposure to air seems only to have improved it. The people that made this know - trust me - exactly what they are doing.

Gary

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Damn, how much is Mill St. paying you to do advertising like that? :lol: Just kidding.

Enjoying a Southern Tier Cherry Saison at the moment, and it is quite nice in my view. Brett characteristics are really starting to grow on me, I'd love to try more Saison's as it seems like a style I can really get into (although I'm told this isn't really a true Saison). It's a good thing I wasn't getting my hopes up for something with a lot of cherry to it though, as it's almost undetectable in both the aroma and flavour.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Yeah Jesse - the cherry is negligible but it's a nice beer all the same.

Having a Peche Mortel at the moment... mmmmmmm

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tonight ive had a True North Strong Ale, a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, and now my first bottle of a batch of homebrewed IIPA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

After knocking off a lot of wine, I managed to get into some St. Ambroise Vintage ale from 2007. The hops are of course falling apart a little but the big ale-fruit flavors are so great. I now feel woozy...
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Gulden Draak - Dark sweet molasses, and a variety of dried fruit. It would be nicer if it had some dryness to finish
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I wish this interminable winter would end... its starting to grind me down. However, that said I had a good weekend beerwise:

He'Brew Genesis
Celis White
Oaked Aged Yeti
Goulden Carolus Noel
Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse
John's Generations White Ale
Phillip's Amnesiac IIPA
Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin
Southern Tier IPA

The Yeti was mind-blowing, as was the John's Generations (its made by a brewery called Millstream in Iowa). The Goulden Carolus and Hacker-Pschorr were from the Abbott on the Hill, which continues to impress me, and is well worth a visit if you find yourself near Summerhill or St. Clair subway stops.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

Had a nice Friday night starting off with the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, followed by the Mikkeller Stateside IPA, and then a vertical tasting of the 2007 and 2008 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine. Finally chased all those with a DF60 and ST IPA, then a good nap.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Grand River Plowman's Ale.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Went to the Kick Off this afternoon/evening. Had:

2 pints of Czechvar
Mill St. Stock Ale
F&M Stonehammer Dark Ale

All were delicious but I was blown away by the Czechvar. Already one of my favourites, but having it on tap for the first time was heavenly!