What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Over the last wee while:

Lake effect-still tasting great and still getting nice 1-2 week old cans
Stone go-to IPA-for something canned in sept/oct(I can't remember) this tastes really good. I actually prefer it to the regular IPA
Tankhouse x a half dozen or so free @ work. This is the best that tankhouse had tasted to me in probably 3-4 years or so. OR it could just be the old "time vs place" factor making it seem better
DDC Aphrodite-from the last time it was in lcbo, tasting really great right now.
Ten Fidy-just fantastic stuff. Awesome mouthfeel, big bold flavours, great balance. A grown-ass mans beer for sure. Need to lay my hands on some more.
St ambroise oatmeal stout-I usually consider this quite a good beer.....but had it immediately after the ten fidy. Needless to say, disappointing. It's not in the same league, hell,they're not even playing the same sport.
Bench balls falls-still loving it.
Bellwoods jutsu x quite a few. excellent as usual.....probably one of the better bargains from Bellwoods.
Old Rasputin-my first time having this and I'll agree with previous posts about it being quite hoppy,not as much as a bipa as others thought though. I really enjoyed it. I could see this being top shelf 10 years or so ago, but for me, doesn't quite stand up to the big hitters today. Still excellent value and I'm going to pick another few bottles on top of what I already have.
DuPont bond veiux-this particular bottle has a real ganja smell to it. Nice and dry,funky,pear,minerality,beauty.
Grandmas boy batch 2-first impression is overwhelmingly cider vinegar and white balsamic. Apricot,lemon pith,brett funk. Has a real tannic mouthfeel to it, presumably from the plum skins. I didn't notice this from last years version(at least I don't remember it). I think I jumped on this beer when it was too cold, as I was a little underwhelmed at first. The last couple sips were fantastic as it warmed though, particularly with some great vanilla notes coming through. Much like you get from a high end California Chardonnay. After a string finish, I'd say it's at least on par with last years version. The next 2 bottles I have I'll definitely have to pull from the fridge 1/2 hour before drinking
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9886
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Belgian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:32 am

Goose Island Gillian

Bellwoods Jelly King Plum

Burdock Brewery NOOM - opened it slowly in a stock pot this time, this beer has a carbonation issue but is tasty.
In Beerum Veritas
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Bellwoods jelly king plum-super tasty beer, but I was expecting the plum to be more noticeable. I think I prefer normal jelly king.
Side launch lager-I don't drink much lager, but have this a shot on recommendation. Really nice stuff. Good summer beer.
Ransack the universe-still loving this beer. Although it tastes great, I just wish it tasted as good as it smells.
Pint persuits lord of lupilin-ok. To me, it's unbalanced, all hops with very little malt counterpoint, and to be honest the hops aren't doing much flavour wise just bitterness. I couldn't see a date on these 2 cans so who knows how old hey are. A decent first effort but definite room for improvement.
CoolB
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby CoolB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:59 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:Bellwoods jelly king plum-super tasty beer, but I was expecting the plum to be more noticeable. I think I prefer normal jelly king.
Side launch lager-I don't drink much lager, but have this a shot on recommendation. Really nice stuff. Good summer beer.
Ransack the universe-still loving this beer. Although it tastes great, I just wish it tasted as good as it smells.
Pint persuits lord of lupilin-ok. To me, it's unbalanced, all hops with very little malt counterpoint, and to be honest the hops aren't doing much flavour wise just bitterness. I couldn't see a date on these 2 cans so who knows how old hey are. A decent first effort but definite room for improvement.


Pint pursuits has quality issues imo and it's too bad. That beer is phenomenal sometimes and completely disgusting other times. I've had a few that were nice and clear with no sediment or floaties and I've had others with quite literally 2 fingers of sediment and suspended floaties everywhere.

I reviewed this beer with the Albino Rhino and we all give it a great score. The azacka (sp) hops impart a great flavour and bitterness. It's funny though because I've also heard people say the malt backbone was too strong.

Hopefully they can figure it out with this beer.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9886
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Belgian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Bam Biere, always great
Uerige Alt, real old school style with punchy yeast and a herbal, almost medicinal dryness.
In Beerum Veritas
GtownRandy
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:17 am

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby GtownRandy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:57 pm

So far 2 glasses Kung fu girl Riesling
Gouden Carolus tripel from the Xmas pack
Currently westmalle dubbel
While listening to boom fm and helping/watching my wife make chicken Marsala and risotto
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 pm

CoolB wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Bellwoods jelly king plum-super tasty beer, but I was expecting the plum to be more noticeable. I think I prefer normal jelly king.
Side launch lager-I don't drink much lager, but have this a shot on recommendation. Really nice stuff. Good summer beer.
Ransack the universe-still loving this beer. Although it tastes great, I just wish it tasted as good as it smells.
Pint persuits lord of lupilin-ok. To me, it's unbalanced, all hops with very little malt counterpoint, and to be honest the hops aren't doing much flavour wise just bitterness. I couldn't see a date on these 2 cans so who knows how old hey are. A decent first effort but definite room for improvement.


Pint pursuits has quality issues imo and it's too bad. That beer is phenomenal sometimes and completely disgusting other times. I've had a few that were nice and clear with no sediment or floaties and I've had others with quite literally 2 fingers of sediment and suspended floaties everywhere.

I reviewed this beer with the Albino Rhino and we all give it a great score. The azacka (sp) hops impart a great flavour and bitterness. It's funny though because I've also heard people say the malt backbone was too strong.

Hopefully they can figure it out with this beer.


Wow! All over the map I see. Both cans of mine had a large amount of nasty-ass chunky kind of sediment
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Belgian wrote:Bam Biere, always great
Uerige Alt, real old school style with punchy yeast and a herbal, almost medicinal dryness.


Love the bam Bierre, I wish it was a regular listing
User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby darmokandjalad » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Over the last week:

-Wellington Palm Trees & Zero Degrees - From the brewery; billed as an American brown ale (6%), with coconut and Medjool dates. Quite nice, though as you'd expect it's a little on the sweet side; could use a little more hopping to balance it out. I'm not big on coconut but I still enjoyed this one.
-Lost Craft Crimzen - From the LCBO. Mellow flavours, easy to drink, but uninspired - it's one of those ambers that blends in with the crowd. Preferred their Revivale.
-Block Three Frankenstout's Monster - From the brewery; an amped up version of their Frankenstout with oatmeal added (8.3%). A quality stout, with intense roasted malt/cocoa flavours and a bitter, lingering finish. Worth a try.
-Uerige Altbier - From the LCBO. This is the first authentic (i.e. German) altbier I've had the chance to try, and I loved it - much better than any of the domestic examples I've sampled. Lovely malt flavours, and as Belgian just stated, a beautiful dry finish. If it weren't 4 bucks a bottle, I'd be buying a lot more.
-Ommegang Three Philosophers - From the LCBO. Solid quad, with the kriek/cherries helping to temper the sweetness of the underlying beer. Not as good as the Trappist quads, but still excellent for a North American interpretation.
-Refined Fool Denim Denim Denim - From the brewery; described as a Belgian blonde ale (8.3%). A decent effort, but like most of their Belgian-style beers it's a little lacking in complexity. Grassy straw, lots of yeast character, but too much banana for me.
-Ayinger Weizenbock - From the LCBO. Man I love this beer - one of my favourite weizenbocks, up there with Aventinus and Vitus. Gotta get more of this one, while the gettin's good.

EDIT: I also noticed a ridiculous quantity of sediment in the can of Pint Pursuits' Lord of Lupulin that I had a month or so ago. I will need to check that place out the next time I'm in the area, since I expect that the LCBO's handling hasn't done it any favours.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9886
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you belgian right now?

Postby Belgian » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:41 am

Westmalle Dubbel, what an outstanding brew. Dry with some caramel and dark fruit. Probably a favorite.
In Beerum Veritas
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:30 pm

darmokandjalad wrote:Over the last week:
-Uerige Altbier - From the LCBO. This is the first authentic (i.e. German) altbier I've had the chance to try, and I loved it - much better than any of the domestic examples I've sampled. Lovely malt flavours, and as Belgian just stated, a beautiful dry finish. If it weren't 4 bucks a bottle, I'd be buying a lot more.

Have you had Kilannan Alt Beer (from Rockford just south of Owen Sound)? I like this one; wondering how you compare the two.
User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby darmokandjalad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:45 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Over the last week:
-Uerige Altbier - From the LCBO. This is the first authentic (i.e. German) altbier I've had the chance to try, and I loved it - much better than any of the domestic examples I've sampled. Lovely malt flavours, and as Belgian just stated, a beautiful dry finish. If it weren't 4 bucks a bottle, I'd be buying a lot more.

Have you had Kilannan Alt Beer (from Rockford just south of Owen Sound)? I like this one; wondering how you compare the two.


I have had Kilannan Alt, though not recently. I purchased a half-dozen tall cans from a TBS the last time I was up in the Bruce peninsula area in 2015. I also found their kölsch around the same time. I recall enjoying both beers while camping, and would certainly like to give the alt another try for a side-by-side comparison with Uerige's (the only fair way to do it IMO).

Unfortunately, nothing from Kilannan is currently distributed to my area. Which is unfortunate, because there aren't any year-round alts available here whatsoever, and I know I'd probably pick up Kilannan's once in a while just for variety's sake.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 pm

darmokandjalad wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Over the last week:
-Uerige Altbier - From the LCBO. This is the first authentic (i.e. German) altbier I've had the chance to try, and I loved it - much better than any of the domestic examples I've sampled. Lovely malt flavours, and as Belgian just stated, a beautiful dry finish. If it weren't 4 bucks a bottle, I'd be buying a lot more.

Have you had Kilannan Alt Beer (from Rockford just south of Owen Sound)? I like this one; wondering how you compare the two.


I have had Kilannan Alt, though not recently. I purchased a half-dozen tall cans from a TBS the last time I was up in the Bruce peninsula area in 2015. I also found their kölsch around the same time. I recall enjoying both beers while camping, and would certainly like to give the alt another try for a side-by-side comparison with Uerige's (the only fair way to do it IMO).

Unfortunately, nothing from Kilannan is currently distributed to my area. Which is unfortunate, because there aren't any year-round alts available here whatsoever, and I know I'd probably pick up Kilannan's once in a while just for variety's sake.

I think Kilannan is a bit under the radar because of their limited distribution, but it is a good brewery in my opinion. I'm OK with the limited distribution - in fact, I actually like it. I like the idea of regional breweries. I don't want everything available everywhere. For Kilannan, | usually get up past the Owen Sound area 3 or 4 times during the summer, so I can get some then if I want.
User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby darmokandjalad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:I think Kilannan is a bit under the radar because of their limited distribution, but it is a good brewery in my opinion. I'm OK with the limited distribution - in fact, I actually like it. I like the idea of regional breweries. I don't want everything available everywhere. For Kilannan, | usually get up past the Owen Sound area 3 or 4 times during the summer, so I can get some then if I want.


Indeed; I love variety as much as any other, but wider distribution does not exactly guarantee the best result for the end consumer. There are actually a couple of beers being sold in Sarnia that I think would be better off if they evacuated Lambton county entirely and focused instead on their local markets. Having your pale or 'lagered' ale available in the opposite corner of the province isn't especially beneficial if it has already begun to fade by the time the LCBO puts it out on the shelf.

My comment was mostly a lamentation regarding the lack of quality alts in my area in general. Creemore's and Beau's' show up here, but they're both seasonal, and not nearly as good as Uerige Alt, IMO. Who knows, perhaps it's a void that Kilannan could take advantage of, or even a matter worth discussing with the 'beer guy' at my local LCBO...
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm

darmokandjalad wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:or even a matter worth discussing with the 'beer guy' at my local LCBO...

Since it's listed in the LCBO, you should be able to order it in to you local store, but you may have to get a full case. Depending on your beer drinking habits, that may be doable.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests