Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

My plan until Christmas Eve is to chip away at some beer that has been waiting five years. Right now I'm on the first of a planned two cork and caged bottles of Chimay Red.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:... Great Lakes etobichoker IPA-good stuff that had a lot of Bubblegummy banana notes going on, not what I was expecting. Tasted a lot like a Belgian IPA. Maybe I got served the wrong beer, can't remember if there was a bargain IPA on the list or not...
Maybe not, Etobichoker's a Double Belgian IPA which of course has some of that phenolic, Tripel-like character in addition to the slightly fuller alcohol presence and hoppy attitude. I liked this one a lot. Features "hops for their pungent aromas and flavours of pine, tropical fruit and resin. " 8.1%
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:... Great Lakes etobichoker IPA-good stuff that had a lot of Bubblegummy banana notes going on, not what I was expecting. Tasted a lot like a Belgian IPA. Maybe I got served the wrong beer, can't remember if there was a bargain IPA on the list or not...
Maybe not, Etobichoker's a Double Belgian IPA which of course has some of that phenolic, Tripel-like character in addition to the slightly fuller alcohol presence and hoppy attitude. I liked this one a lot. Features "hops for their pungent aromas and flavours of pine, tropical fruit and resin. " 8.1%

Thanks for the reply....sounds about right. Perhaps I just didn't notice the description on the menu properly. Definitely a tasty beer that I'd be glad to have again.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout. Off the top of my head, the only other beer I've had that specifically mentions espresso in the name is Midnight Sun Espresso Stout, by Yukon Brewing. Great Divide does an Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, which I have yet to try. Love the original Yeti.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Belgian wrote:... Etobichoker's a Double Belgian IPA which of course has some of that phenolic, Tripel-like character in addition to the slightly fuller alcohol presence and hoppy attitude. I liked this one a lot. Features "hops for their pungent aromas and flavours of pine, tropical fruit and resin. " 8.1%
Thanks for the reply....sounds about right. Perhaps I just didn't notice the description on the menu properly. Definitely a tasty beer that I'd be glad to have again.
YVW, sounds like an excellent time if you started to lose interest in reading. Sometimes I hesitate on a new beer ('do I every really like anything Belgo-IPA?') but then I try it anyway and Great Lakes absolutely kills it. This was one of those times for GL.

I'm having a few Founders PC Pils and this one keeps insisting that there's a fantastic Pale Ale lurking somewhere inside of this Pilsner. Uncanny.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
Belgian wrote:... Etobichoker's a Double Belgian IPA which of course has some of that phenolic, Tripel-like character in addition to the slightly fuller alcohol presence and hoppy attitude. I liked this one a lot. Features "hops for their pungent aromas and flavours of pine, tropical fruit and resin. " 8.1%
YVW, sounds like an excellent time if you started to lose interest in reading. Sometimes I hesitate on a new beer ('do I every really like anything Belgo-IPA?') but then I try it anyway and Great Lakes absolutely kills it. This was one of those times for GL.

I'm having a few Founders PC Pils and this one keeps insisting that there's a fantastic Pale Ale lurking somewhere inside of this Pilsner. Uncanny.
That PC Pils really is fantastic. Tried the Mosaic Promise last night, and while I enjoyed it, as a daily "go-to" type beer I'd take the pils. Also I found there's a bit of a vegetal note in the Mosaic that I couldn't put my finger on. I've read online that some people get an onion-y type note from mosaic hops, so maybe that was it?

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Little Beasts-Salem’s Lot, Nice Vermont style ipa
Little Beasts Pinion-pale ale
Little Beasts-television shepherd milk stout
beyond the pale-Aromatherapy really nice citrusy ipa

Little Beasts is showing huge promise
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm having a German RIS called CREW Republic Roundhouse Kick, it has a deceptively sweet simple approach at first (dis malt likka, u axe?) but there are plenty of layers and integrity to this medium-bodied beer. It doesn't rely on any specialty oak treatments, additions or extreme high gravity / ABV and part of its charm to me besides the expected dark sweet bread, demerara and raisiny fruit is the unusual (?) umami notes, forest mushroom (soy sauce?) and barnyardy hay reminding me a bit of good dark Bavarian Doppelbocks. Some Stouties won't be all that impressed but its good for the simplicity and would make a killer pot braise thanks to the very balanced yet not excessive hops.

The Thornbridge ELDON RIS (UK) is a touch lighter in body, a bit more hop flavor emphasis, and a touch of bourbon oak aging. There is chocolate implied, and also vanilla. The hops carry late as lightly grassy and minty, pretty delicate package. More chocolate than demerara this one. Sleeker package, again not a huge RIS but entirely worthwhile.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Tonight I worked my way through a bunch of beers by Lake Wilcox - my local brewery since I moved north of Toronto.

I had high hopes for Lake Wilcox when they opened, but after drinking a dozen or so offerings I was ready to throw in the towel. On a whim I popped by the brewery last week when taking my kids to a play centre next door. They're currently offering a '12 beers of Christmas' release packed with seasonal favours, and despite being twice bitten, I was not shy.

Something has changed, and I'm very impressed with the quality. A pomande flavoured English Pale was on the money. A steam beer had very faint phenolic notes, but hit the spot. Their Solstice IPA seems to have cleaned up into a stand-up option, and their wheatwine offers a lighter take on the barleywine style.

Hopefully these aren't outliers, and I have another 8 styles to go, but I find this progress very encouraging,

I also had a CBS last night, and I'll echo the comments of folks like midlife - very disappointed by the quality when compared to the price point. I love a good impy, but this was unbalanced, with the roast and coffee completely overpowered by a maple sweetness. It feels heretical, but I'll be taking two bottles back tomorrow and exchanging for something else (I'm think Thornbridge Eldon and St Ambroise RIS).

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Nice to hear about Wilcox. Maybe I should take the plunge.

Spencer Trappist Ale — Lots of wheat-like banana, fruity esters and spice. Very approachable and a good beer to eat with. Reminds me of Chimay Gold, which is the only other patersbier I've had. It's a bit ironic to make a patersbier your flagship, but it's good beer nonetheless.
Bellwoods Robust Porter w/ Vanilla — This beer is incredible. It really tastes like a melted chocolate bar (as stated in BW's description). Vanilla adds some sweetness but its not sugary. Do not miss this one.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I declare my 2017 holiday season officially open with a just popped Unibroue 25th Anniversary Ale.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:

I really wish I could get that Pilsner. Never once seen it at a store in town here. We seem to get all other founders stuff, but not the Pilsner

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:2017 St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe (Bourbon Oak aged RIS)

This is a good Impy, the hops are still a bit grassy and the wood is lightly astringent. The most recent St. Amby RIS I opened before this was 7.5 years old and ageing into a real beauty. It can therefore use time to integrate.

Worth hiding a few away to sleep at the currently-offered price ($3.85.)
I hope the same applies to the 2017's because the 1st bottle of the 10 I bought seemed a bit of a mess to me.
words i used to describe it: sharp, boozy, tarry, burnt wood, too bitter/hoppy for a stout
Yes I would assume that's how it is with this beer. It's not a sleek package when new, it seems very old school not a modern barrel aged thing. I still like it, the aroma is great, some chocolate and bourbon and dark bready malts.
I'm pretty sure SA must add cut up bourbon oak barrels to the vat for ageing based on the astringency, that is just the nature of oak tannins when you expose more of the grain of the wood - although this is at least aged oak and not new wood. It helps ageing. I agree the bittering hops may be a little strong when new, again they too may help preserve the beer for a good few years of sleep. I recall Tempest was a bit 'green' from the hops when new & improved over time.

Personally I think the 2017 will age well and get smoother. I have been right about this one before but it's totally your call. CBS is the one I would drink sooner than later because it's so balanced right now and what could it possibly gain from long cellar time.
Just delving into a St. Ambroise RIS - my first experience with this beast. I generally agree with the above sentiments - this one shows great potential for aging, but is a bit harsh in its current form. Very pleasant on the nose; based on appearance and smell alone I was excited to taste this one. It had some nice chocolate malt notes upfront, but then there was definitely some excess alcohol heat and the finish was entirely too hoppy for my tastes. I'll preface this review by noting that I like my imperial stouts to be a refuge from hops and showcase the malt. Putting this one to sleep so that the hops can fade and heat can mellow could work wonders. There were only 2 left at my local when I picked them up on my way home from work earlier this week, but at $3.85 it's a great value-play and I will be seeking a few more out even if my initial reaction was mixed.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad 2016. I'll age a few of these as well.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Beau's New Lang Syne Tripel, which may have the fastest forming and largest head I've ever encountered in a beer. Go slow on the pour if you happen to pop one of these.