Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Yeti, which just hit the shelves of my local today. This is, IMO, a truly world class Imperial Stout. I picked up eight, two for now and a half dozen to sit for a while.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerIsGood wrote:Yeti, which just hit the shelves of my local today. This is, IMO, a truly world class Imperial Stout. I picked up eight, two for now and a half dozen to sit for a while.
I saw that and was curious. It scores REALLY high. Was less of a fan of Oak Aged Yeti, which had really gross bitter wood tannins (like it was carelessly aged with chopped up pieces of oak.)
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Belgian wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Yeti, which just hit the shelves of my local today. This is, IMO, a truly world class Imperial Stout. I picked up eight, two for now and a half dozen to sit for a while.
I saw that and was curious. It scores REALLY high. Was less of a fan of Oak Aged Yeti, which had really gross bitter wood tannins (like it was carelessly aged with chopped up pieces of oak.)
Thankfully, this is the straight up, original Yeti, which I first encountered about a decade ago. For some reason I am often not a fan of iterations of the original. One factor is that I don’t drink spirits, so anything barrel aged in this regard loses some appeal for me. Last year I had Pêche Mortel Framboise at the brewpub in Montreal and found it to be disgusting.

portwood

Post by portwood »

is your "local" Summerhill?
I saw yeti in their beer walk-in fridge (north end of store) a few weeks back but haven't seen it listed online (typical for Summerhill LCBO keeping products "off-list" and inaccessible to the unworthy, non-Rosedale residents)
@markhamwhisky

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

portwood wrote:
is your "local" Summerhill?
I saw yeti in their beer walk-in fridge (north end of store) a few weeks back but haven't seen it listed online (typical for Summerhill LCBO keeping products "off-list" and inaccessible to the unworthy, non-Rosedale residents)
Summerhill was once one of my locals, when I lived in the St. Clair/Yonge area, but now my local is a couple hours removed from The Big Smoke. Like you, I couldn't find it online yesterday despite it being on the shelves.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I bought one today (at Summerhill, alas). OT, but at 9:00 am they also magically had half a dozen (returned?) bottles of Blanton's on the whiskey shelf, but they didn't last long.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Fullers Imperial IPA — Really nice beast of an ale. Firm Euro hops and massive malt. Fruity, bready, herbal, sweet and bitter.
In its latest effort at over-packaging an ultra premium beer, Fullers triumphs with the darkest amber ale you've ever seen. Densely flavorful, exudes richness and a hop oil quality that outshines some of their vintage ales, with the supporting fruit bringing in dried apricots, raisins and fruit cake sweetness. Some lemony and gently peppery qualities. Great even for 8 bucks will probably age like the English barley wine it truly appears to be.

How did I overlook this so far. One of the best things at the LC right now IMHO.
Bought one today on your reco. Couldn't agree more. This is fantastic stuff. As a guy whose first love is English-style ales, preferably cask, this is like a good one (London Pride, say) on steroids.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
Storm Stayed Beret Fruit Pale Ale
Storm Stayed Mayan Hunter American Porter
Flying Monkeys Tiny Little Wizards Southern Hemisphere IPA
Great Lakes Früschoppen – German Pilsner w/ Mandarina
Rainhard Rage & Love – Raspberry & Passionfruit
Rainhard Brutal Truth IPA – Simcoe & Mosaic
Junction Craft Pilsner
Junction Craft Harvesters IPA
Lindemans Oude Gueuze Cuvée René – 2019 Blend
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Monk’s Stout from Dupont. A thin, nondescript and over carbonated mess. Very disappointing. Actually, I am picking up the roasted flavour and some bitterness as I work through the bottle to make it somewhat recommendable, but still, disappointing for me and wildly over carbonated IMO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Omnipollo Agamemnon Maple Syrup Imperial Stout

Let me just say this is deliciously chocolatey and roasty, with a kind of burnt marshmallow nuance. The maple compliments all of that.

This company makes some beers that are like S'mores by the campfire and this one is certainly really good in that way. Light smokiness, some hop dryness controlling the almost (but not quite) syrupy sweetness. Pours and looks and smells like a RIS. Serious fun.

In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:Omnipollo Agamemnon Maple Syrup Imperial Stout
funny how untappd entries have this at >12% yet the LCBO edition (brewed under license in Toronto?) is listed at 11.5% ... probably for tax reasons, lol
@markhamwhisky

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

This would be brewed at Brunswick Bierworks in East York, as with the other Omnipollos that we get.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stone City Ales - Juggernaut Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Bought at brewery Dec 17, 2016, so likely the first edition sporadically available since 2015. It's quite decent with a good length of full flavors - rich dark fruits, roast, and notable yet not overpowering bourbon & wood presence. The light licorice is now nicely featured as is the demerara. the bit of wine-like Arabica coffee and vanilla. Not a world beater but really nice with a British flair as is my home town of Kingston Ontario,

In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Hey, that's my home town too!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I have a soft spot for Kingston as I went to school there.

A new brewery, Daft Brewing, has just opened there.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... n-ontario/

https://daftbrewing.com/