What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Brasserie de Blaugies Bière Darbyste — Great Belgian saison with some some added fruitiness via the added fig juice. Less spicy than many, and I enjoyed it better before the final pour, laden with sediment (that had strangely accumulated on one side of the bottle). Glad I picked up a few of these and La Vermontoise when they popped up on LCBO online some weeks ago. I missed out on La Moneuse if anyone wants to trade!
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9923
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Belgian » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:31 pm

Saulter Street Riverside Copper Pilsner from brewery store, the can is souring just a few weeks after purchase so I dumped it out. The Sorachi hop Lager they have on tap right now is really nice though.

This new Duvel Tripel Hop Cashmere Belgian IPA (9.5%) is very flavourful showing nice underlying fruit tones of pear and some lemon plus peppery and bubblegum spice along with the more hop forward resiny-viney bitterness - it's a densely-flavoured brew of the type I particularly enjoyed when really discovering craft beer, and I like it right now. Looks beautiful in the Duvel Tulip.

Also liked that unserious Jacobins ROSÉ MAX berry-cherry-currant ale from Belgium in the teeny 250ml bottle, it's a simple,sour with loads of convincing fruit and for what it offers to be I think it's very legit. It's a brunch bennies and waffles kind of beer. Remember the Only Cafe in its brunch heyday?

Can't wait to try the Unibroue Éphémère Baie d'Argousier / Sea Buckthorn Berry... these 750mls have crept up in price over the years but a good iteration of this series is welcome. My favorite of all time remains the Pomme, which for me was like an apple orchard in a glass with an overnote of vanilla. It's damn French.
In Beerum Veritas
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Drinking this years version of Fracture and it’s absolutely delicious. I think it’s tasting a little bit different this time around...hop profile seems changed a bit, but that could just be me. Also, as a bonus I’m pretty sure it’s cheaper than it has been the past couple years. :)
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Zundert 10 — Picked this one up as I've been neglecting quads. It's a pretty good effort from a Trappist I'd never heard of before. It seems like there's been a mini boom in Trappist breweries in the past 5-10 years. I remember when I could name them all! Speaking of which — where the HELL is Orval?!
Andicus
Bar Fly
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: St. Catharines

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Andicus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:46 am

Belgian wrote:Saulter Street Riverside Copper Pilsner from brewery store, the can is souring just a few weeks after purchase so I dumped it out. The Sorachi hop Lager they have on tap right now is really nice though.

This new Duvel Tripel Hop Cashmere Belgian IPA (9.5%) is very flavourful showing nice underlying fruit tones of pear and some lemon plus peppery and bubblegum spice along with the more hop forward resiny-viney bitterness - it's a densely-flavoured brew of the type I particularly enjoyed when really discovering craft beer, and I like it right now. Looks beautiful in the Duvel Tulip.

Also liked that unserious Jacobins ROSÉ MAX berry-cherry-currant ale from Belgium in the teeny 250ml bottle, it's a simple,sour with loads of convincing fruit and for what it offers to be I think it's very legit. It's a brunch bennies and waffles kind of beer. Remember the Only Cafe in its brunch heyday?

Can't wait to try the Unibroue Éphémère Baie d'Argousier / Sea Buckthorn Berry... these 750mls have crept up in price over the years but a good iteration of this series is welcome. My favorite of all time remains the Pomme, which for me was like an apple orchard in a glass with an overnote of vanilla. It's damn French.

Just trying the Duvel Cashmere, now. I'm very impressed. I'd have to do a direct comparison, but going by memory, I prefer this to the standard Duvel bottling.
Andicus
Bar Fly
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: St. Catharines

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Andicus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 am

beerstodiscover wrote:Zundert 10 — Picked this one up as I've been neglecting quads. It's a pretty good effort from a Trappist I'd never heard of before. It seems like there's been a mini boom in Trappist breweries in the past 5-10 years. I remember when I could name them all! Speaking of which — where the HELL is Orval?!

Indeed. It's been far too long since we've had Orval available, and I really miss it. Truly a unique beer.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9923
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Un-cellaring right now?

Postby Belgian » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Had the Trou du Diable L'ours 750ml this week... it's fine, for me I have to say a lot of sours are very same-ish.

Now a 750ml of 2012 Saison Dupont Vieille Provision (with a BBD of 01 / 2016.) It's well-preserved, the aroma is clean. The taste is fairly caramelly at this point, the bitterness is very smoothed down, and it has a grapey sweetness - a very drinkable 'provision' beer if you had these packed away in a cool place and needed emergency calories. I'd probably drink this sooner than eight years next time, but Dupont is always fine stuff!

I also have a number of those Avec Bon Voueux Dupont Christmas beers they put out, probably stellar cellar candidates as well.
In Beerum Veritas
Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Un-cellaring right now?

Postby Provost Drunk » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:20 am

Belgian wrote:
I also have a number of those Avec Bon Voueux Dupont Christmas beers they put out, probably stellar cellar candidates as well.


I pulled one of these out of the cellar about a month ago and it is still drinking great. A little bit sweeter/maltier, but still showcasing that spicy phenol character. I'm down to my last bottle from the 2016 vintage sadly. Although I do still have a 1.5L magnum from when those were on the shelves at the LCBO (in late 2014 I think). Would love to see this one make a return.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron