Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Schneider Aventinus explosive bottles???

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jan Primus

Schneider Aventinus explosive bottles???

Post by Jan Primus »

I recently picked up a few bottles of Schneider Aventunus at the local LC and every bottle so far foams all over soon as I pop the cap. Last bottle I tried just openning the cap a tiny bit to let air out but same thing...I store them around 55 f. Anyone else have this problem? I don't recall them doing this in the past, it's a pain to have to clean up everytime I open one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Maybe the bottle fermentation went a litte crazy from high shipping temperatures. How's it taste?

_________

Personally I'd return them & try other stock if it bothers you.

_________
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Well it taste fine but it is a beer and style that I'm not overly familiar with...it's been awhile since I had this beer don't recall if it's any different, maybe a touch more boozy but that could be my imagination.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Gonna try chilling colder...I recall that Pannepot is explosive at room temp but not so much when chilled.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

I haven't had this problem with the current batch of Aventinus.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Every single bottle of Aventinus I've bought (Winter-May) has done that and made quite the mess, I just started opening them over the sink. I just assumed that it kept fermenting in the bottle to some crazy explosive amounts.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Let them rest for a few weeks after you buy them and chill them well before drinking. Also be very gentle when handling the bottles just before consumption. Avoid shaking them as much as possible.
Also the shape of the glass and the pouring will have an effect.
Try to choose a weizen glass with a wider bottom section and tilt it as much as possible when pouring. I've had this problem with Aventinus for years. It will never stop me from enjoying it - still one of my favourites.
I ussually age mine for 6-12months before consumption. That will subdue the explosive fermentation.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

My Aventinus also gushed like a poorly tapped oil well, but I didn't lose much. In fact I used it to make the broth for some aventinus steamed mussels (influenced by talk of using christoffel). They were spectacular.

The advice on cellaring for 6 months to a year sounds ideal on several levels, and will be the course I take in the long term.