Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Here we go!!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

It is ultimately the responsibility of the brewery, distillery or winery to follow LCBO Product and Packaging regulations. Agents can advise and provide copies of these regulations to suppliers, but as we are not there while product is being prepared for shipping, we have no control over that aspect contrary to what some seem to imply or perhaps not understand.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

You think those charges are bad, years ago I had an order of beer arrive where the supplier was in a hurry and did not seal the tops of the cases with tape but rather folded over the flaps. Between manpower and "administrative charges" there were going to charge me the equivalent of about $10 per case to put some tape on it. I should add, that they do use nuclear physicists to perform the work.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

esprit wrote:Strip labels over bottle caps suggest that the product is produced with twist-offs. Canadian regulations require that all products be "tamper evident" that is to say, if it's a twist off it must have a seal or be in an enclosed pack, not an open 6-pack.
I can confirm these are twist-offs and they are open 6-packs.

Here is the Strip label:

Here is the classy "strong beer" label Southern Tier made for these:

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I went into the guelph LCBO on Stone Road tonight looking for the ST IPA, which they did not have yet, but they did have 2 cases of Rogue Dead Guy Ale in. Looked like I got the last of the first case, but there was at least one more case worth (4x6packs) out. And they have a cold 'beer room' at that location, so it was even cold.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Are any of the Milll St. beers twist off? They are in open sixes..
What about the Grolsch beers...with their flip off..I don't think they are covered with tape.
Also, a twist off still has a seal that must be broken (and if someone wants to..they can tamper non twist offs)..

Has anyone told Southern Tier to get back to non twist offs...so we can save 31 cents a bottle and the environment by not printing any more sticky LCBO tape?

You almost have to laugh at the Ontario GUM, state run system

On friday, went to the Atrium/Bay GUM liquor store...the clerk was polite, but had never heard of Southern Tier and insisted they didn't have any, no matter what it said on the computer. She finally checked with someone...he said they put some out, but they were sold. They were supposed to have more in the back, but she said the elevator broke, bottles were everywhere..she couldn't find it.

Sent me to Yonge/Wellesley store...said they had some.
Guy in the back wouldn't come out. Clerk in the store had never heard of it and then insisted they didn't have any.
Finally convinced her to ask the manager. She told me, they had 2 cases...but it was in the back. "It's going to take a while" she told me
(not exactly service with a smile).

Couple minutes later, they find it. I bought 24 ($7 worth of sticky tape).
Left the other 24 there for some other lucky customer.

Clerk reminded me as I had the case in my hands that the store wasn't supposed to have that beer at all.
I suspect...now it doesn't anymore either.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Does anyone know what's going on with the Rogue? It seems to be appearing in stores, but it's not even in the LCBO database yet.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I believe Grolsh has a seal...twist offs are not tamper-evident...you can twist off the cap and twist it back on with no one being the wiser. Is there a point to this thread? Check stuff out before you post as I love bartowel but the constant drivel that is posted sometimes makes it tedious and not worthwhile. Don't speculate, don't guess...check out your facts before you post, otherwise, keep silent. Have you ever bought a bottle of Grolsch?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I don't know what is going on with Rogue other than the fact that the website is often 2 or 3 days behind what is going on in the stores. It's hitting store shelves but it's not on the website...what can I say. You'll have many years to enjoy this brew and whether it's this week or next or even the week after, what does it matter...I'm sure you all have some other good stuff to drink. When it does arrive in your local store, buy 20 cases as you may never see it again.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

There really seems to be something odd going on with the website. I just went all the way down to Cambridge to pick up some ST IPA (I have that little to do), and was delightfully surprised by the Rogue Deadguy that happened to be there too. It had to be checked twice by the cashier but eventually it scanned off the barcode on the bottom of the box. You'd think if it's in the computer system that it would be on the website too, in theory.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

JesseM wrote:There really seems to be something odd going on with the website. You'd think if it's in the computer system that it would be on the website too, in theory.
The LCBO inventory system is a little baffling. The publicly accessible site shows inventory as it is updated. Some stores do this daily and others don't. Stores like Cooper St. enter the quantites of stock after their night crew replenish the shelves (after closing). So what is generally on the website is last night's stock...no guarantee that's the number they'll have on the shelves by the time you get down there. Stores that update their figures less frequently may have info up on the LCBO website that is several days old so in those stores there's little coorelation between what the store has on the shelves and what the website says it has.

The info line seems to have the best figures available including access to the warehouse numbers. My best suggestion to getting new products like this is;

1) For the most part ignore the LCBO website UNLESS it says a given store has a huge quantity of stock. If they have 40 cases (unlikely) then chances are they'll still have some when you get there. Otherwise ignore the website and...

2) Call the info line and get accurate stock info. Ask them which store near you has the most inventory. Get the name of the store and the managers name.

3) Call that store. Confirm the inventory. Talk to the manager. Ask him/her to place a hold on the stuff you want for an hour.

4) Go down. Talk to the manager. Get your stuff.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

esprit wrote: When it does arrive in your local store, buy 20 cases as you may never see it again.
Are you serious? Wasn't this to go on their general list or was it seasonal?

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Grolsch does not have an LCBO seal...just its own little paper seal.
In fact, I am not aware of any other beer at the LCBO with an LCBO sticky tape seal.

Does this mean Southern Tier is the only twist off at the LCBO in an open six pack?
And it's not as if it's an easy twist off either...

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

bujubanton wrote:Grolsch does not have an LCBO seal...just its own little paper seal.
paper seal = tamper-evident
If you pop it open once you will know it has been.
bujubanton wrote:I am not aware of any other beer at the LCBO with an LCBO sticky tape seal.
Beers only need sticky tape if they are not tamper-evident. E.G. open six packs with twist-offs.
Most 24, 12 or 6 packs in the LCBO are in closed boxes. If bottles are in open containers then they can't be twist offs.

I guess Peter is saying have documented evidence that there is an example of a non tamper-evident packaged product in the LCBO before guessing.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

It is a general list...I just want everyone to buy 20 cases at a time. Seriously, we anticipate that the first order will sell through before we have another order. We tried to get the LCBO to order more but they claim that they have ordered enough...I'm usually right but that and $5.00 gets me a Starbucks grande latte.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

esprit wrote:It is a general list...I just want everyone to buy 20 cases at a time.
Slip me $300? :lol: