Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stock Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

This really is one of the few old-school "Canadian Ales" left... packed full of proteinacious, 6-row, grainy goodness.

The Mill Street Stock ale is nothing like it. I'm not sure why they used that name?

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

I'm kind of surprised at the love that Molson Stock Ale's getting in this thread. :P

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Derek wrote:...The Mill Street Stock ale is nothing like it. I'm not sure why they used that name?
As always, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the term "stock ale" refers to a brewery's basic, year-round, unadorned ale.

Of course, I also remember reading that the Jays were going to win the wild-card this year, so . . . .
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:If anyone is seriously interested in trying Labatt Porter, it's still available in Quebec.

Or, you could just drink some Pepsi, since it looks and tastes about the same...
O'Keefe is still available in Quebec too. Given his mention of Labatt 50 being only available in Quebec and Ontario, and his uncovering of regional brands that are still available, I'm curious why he said those two (Cream Porter and O'Keefe) were dead.

And cola featured prominently in my rating of the Cream Porter as well. Along with corn and rubber. Ugh.

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

GregClow wrote:If anyone is seriously interested in trying Labatt Porter, it's still available in Quebec.

Or, you could just drink some Pepsi, since it looks and tastes about the same...
When I was at McGill (way back in the 80's), I dated a girl who liked the Labatt's Porter. Your succinct review perfectly summed up my memories of that viscous brew.