Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Beer Store: Exposed as the crooks that they are!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

The Beer Store: Exposed as the crooks that they are!

Post by GregClow »

OK, it's not quite that dramatic, but there's an interesting pair of articles on The Beer Store in the Star today:

The real reason your beer costs more than it should

Cornering the beer market

Scary stat: 6 out of 10 people surveyed thought that the Beer Store was owned by the gov't/LCBO.
Last edited by GregClow on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

"I can't think of another government anywhere in the developed world that would lie down and give foreign-owned multinationals a retail monopoly."
Nice.

We really need to stop referring to reform as "privatization" though. It's not at all accurate and it certainly doesn't help our cause.
Last edited by Derek on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magni

Post by Magni »

It's an interesting article, I enjoy that it provides that lovely 6/10 statistic.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Great article.
I can't wait to see their solution on Monday.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

That really brightened up my Saturday morning, thanks Greg. I'd like to see a little more investigative work into why the Liberals are so in favour of Brewer's Retail and against OCB Retail.

Dana's e-mail
dflavel@thestar.ca

But as much as I loathe the Beer Store, at least they can make me laugh
As for profits, The Beer Store doesn't use that phrase. Newton says the stores operate on a "cost-recovery" basis, meaning the fees are supposed to cover its costs. When the fees exceed the costs, the store issues a rebate – but only to The Beer Store's owners. If costs exceed the fees, the owners make up the difference.
:lol: See everyone, the Coors and Inbev are doing us a favour!

EDIT: Also, e-mail sent to Dalton and my local MPP. Won't change much, but at least I have the satisfaction of letting them know we're not all sheep.

MattB

Post by MattB »

Seeing that The Toronto Star is the "official" newspaper of the Liberal government, there might be something afoot ...

Also, the Speaker recently had a tasting and introduced official beers of the Legislature. There wasn't even one Molbatts piddle on the list, just OCB beers.

I'm crossing my fingers that changes are coming.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Great articles.

Within one week, we get solid articles in two major papers that start to ask some questions about our retail set-up in this province.

How very strange. As MattB mentions, is there any chance of changes being afoot? I doubt it, but there's a glimmer of hope.

Hopefully these article continue and keep this issue in the public eye.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

sstackho wrote:Hopefully these article continue and keep this issue in the public eye.
I didn't see this when I posted the links this morning since I was reading online and it's only mentioned in the paper version, but these articles are part of a three-day series that will be running in the Star under the umbrella title "BAD BREW: A three-part series on Ontario's Monopolistic beer policies".

Tomorrow, the theme is "Small brewers struggle", and Monday, it's "A better way". Awesome!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Looks like some editors at The Star were reading the National Post earlier in the week and decided to focus on The Beer Store.
Nothng wrong with that...the more information for the public (and different newspaper readers) the better.

I like how The Beer Store spokesman talks about "open access"...I guess it's open access to the big warehouse out back and only room for their preferred beers at the Ice Cold Express..front of the store.
By the way...anyone have any idea about the various fees charged by TBS?
I have heard that it's cheaper for craft brewers to go the LCBO route..which is why many of them do..
Would TBS take something like a Southern Tier or charge an arm and a leg?

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

whoops..meant to write "equal access" instead of "open access"...
not sure TBS really has either though..

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

bujubanton wrote:Looks like some editors at The Star were reading the National Post earlier in the week and decided to focus on The Beer Store.
Nothng wrong with that...the more information for the public (and different newspaper readers) the better.

I like how The Beer Store spokesman talks about "open access"...I guess it's open access to the big warehouse out back and only room for their preferred beers at the Ice Cold Express..front of the store.
By the way...anyone have any idea about the various fees charged by TBS?
I have heard that it's cheaper for craft brewers to go the LCBO route..which is why many of them do..
Would TBS take something like a Southern Tier or charge an arm and a leg?
Hey Buju.
You make some good points. But to respond to your first one, a feature series like the one Dana Flavelle has done would take a lot longer to put together than a week. This was most certainly not a copy-cat series or anything like that. Probably more like a coincidence. Editors like seasonally themed stories, and for many folks, summer is beer season. As far as the TBS and Southern Tier goes, they would accept it, but it would be prohibitively expensive for ST. TBS charges roughly $500 per store to list a product if you want to cherry-pick certain stores, or $50,000 for their whole system. In other words, too much money for all but the biggest brewers. The LCBO may have their flaws, but they don't charge a listing fee, per se. Theoretically, it's open access. It's just expensive. But there's no reason a smaller brewer couldn't cherry-pick 10 ``good'' beer store locations, pay $5,000 and get it listed. Whether they'd trust TBS to take care of their products well or not, who knows.
Cheers,
Tuqueboy
Josh Rubin, Toronto Star

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

tuqueboy wrote:TBS charges roughly $500 per store to list a product if you want to cherry-pick certain stores, or $50,000 for their whole system. In other words, too much money for all but the biggest brewers. The LCBO may have their flaws, but they don't charge a listing fee, per se. Theoretically, it's open access. It's just expensive. But there's no reason a smaller brewer couldn't cherry-pick 10 ``good'' beer store locations, pay $5,000 and get it listed. Whether they'd trust TBS to take care of their products well or
I think thats basically what most of the smaller microbrewers do with TBS, I'm not sure how many have the whole system listing?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

"(Government) tolerates what is essentially a private monopoly."

I can only assume:
- they may like the tax yield even though they know it's sort of a wrong situation
- they may do the same for all fast & loose business activity that they may indirectly benefit from financially.
- they may fear losing the status quo by upsetting the flawed Beer Store situation
- they may be lazy in their ethics because... they can be?

Bears some speculation.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

The owners of The Beer Store say the new store format addresses the problem of how to cost-effectively handle the exploding number of new brands on the market. The chain, which can't refuse any qualified brewer access to its stores, now carries mores than 300 brands made by 75 different brewers.
Does this make sense? I'm "lucky" enough to have a self-serve store (I haven't actually stepped foot in for two years) and they certainly don't seem to have gone nuts with the interior decorating. Why would putting beer front of store be more expensive than keeping beer back of store?

Also, love the part where the spokesperson asks why craft brewers would even want a stake in Brewer's Retail. Again, this PR blowjob of "we've taken this horrible inconvenience on ourselves."