Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

dutchcanuck, if you're willing to invest in a full case, the store manager is obliged to order it for you. He doesn't have to list it but he does have to respond to customer requests for full case orders.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Esprit,
I know I can order a case, but the last time I did that it took over a week for it to make its way down to my local LCBO, not to mention they never called to let me know that my case of beer was in. Its just really annoying. In fact I would rather drive somwhere, even if its across the border, and get it the same day. I'm a little impaitient when it comes to my beer. I'm just tired of the crap I have to put up with when it comes to dealing with the LCBO.
I know guys like you do an excellent job in bringing in these excellent beers and I buy the ones that I can. I just feel as if the LCBO makes me work to get the beer I want. And because of that they tend to get a lot less of my business. Its quicker, barring delays, to drive over to Niagara Falls, NY, hit up Consumers, and drive back than to make a similiar trip to Burlington or Stoney Creek.
Sigh....I apologize for beating this dead horse of mine.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

no offence dutch, but waiting a week as opposed to crossing the border doesn't seem like such a stretch but that's up to you.
Can't recall the last time I needed beer so bad that I couldn't wait a week. Tne only way we're going to get store managers clued in on craft beers is to ask them to order...but then it's your decision as to how long and to what lengths you are prepared to go. Don't get me wrong, you are and should be frustrated with the distribution system...but it ain't gonna change unless there are vocal parties out there who will confront store managers and ask why they don't wish to service a particular customer segment.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

esprit wrote:dutchcanuck, if you're willing to invest in a full case, the store manager is obliged to order it for you. He doesn't have to list it but he does have to respond to customer requests for full case orders.
When I tried to order a case of ST, the store ordered it, but since it was not in the warehouse, and the other LCBO stores refused to transfer any, I ended up SOL.

I'd gladly take 2 cases of DFH, but I feel like I'll be wasting my time, as above. As dutchcanuck mentioned, they didn't even let me know that they couldn't get my order. Had I known, I would've made a stop on the way back from my vacation.

I'm going to make a call to the LCBO right not to try to order a couple cases, and I'll report back when I get it (or not, as the case may be).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tupalev wrote:
Some (Durham, Church Key, Ste.Andre, etc.) have, they just need to get it into bottles and distributed.....but I know what you mean. I would love to go to the LCBO and pick up some great, locally made, IPA.
No disrespect intended lagerale, and I know it is a matter of personal taste, but my first reaction to this statement was "No they have not".
Seconded. We have good great but nothing quite at the USA style level of some imports & special orders. That's why we need imports and special orders!

I have faith in the developments here though. Some recent beers of various styles here are astonishing, and WAY beyond the early micro-brewing indusrty.
In Beerum Veritas

emjay

Post by emjay »

Just picked up a case (4x6) in Markham at the Woodbine/7 store. It's been in stock since monday but they are still in the back. I'm a bit ashamed to have purchased half of that store's entire allotment, but with the current offerings the lcbo has, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

emjay wrote:I'm a bit ashamed to have purchased half of that store's entire allotment, but with the current offerings the lcbo has, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Screw shame. That's a wimpy store allotment by normal retail standards.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

emjay wrote:Just picked up a case (4x6) in Markham at the Woodbine/7 store. It's been in stock since monday but they are still in the back. I'm a bit ashamed to have purchased half of that store's entire allotment, but with the current offerings the lcbo has, you gotta do what you gotta do.
damn, i've been watching/asking at the store for the last week and the one day i don't go... hopefully we're the only two buying in markham and i can actually get some this time around.

emjay

Post by emjay »

You can still go tonight! Make sure you ask them to look in the back. Since it's still there, your chances are excellent. I generally wait until I see it in stock on the website. It only shows up at the latest a day late, and that particular store seems to keep everything in the back room for quite a while.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

As of Monday there were 723 cases of DFH60 in the Durham warehouse so no store should have any difficulty getting as much as they want...scream at them and if they refuse to do anything, I'll get you some telephone numbers and e-mail addresses you can use to vent your frustration.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I'm still not sure - is DFH60 now a general list item, or just a larger one-time purchase this time?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

A wrote:I'm still not sure - is DFH60 now a general list item, or just a larger one-time purchase this time?
General list.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Apparently SUMMERHILL and COOPER STREET locations are fairly loaded up with six-packs now, so others may soon follow.

This is fantastic.
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Yeah, Cooper St. hit the jackpot - two hundred and some-odd cases. Time to leave work.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Malcolm wrote:Yeah, Cooper St. hit the jackpot - two hundred and some-odd cases. Time to leave work.
That is actually bottles on hand and not 6 packs or cases.