Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Bought some at Dundas and Jane last night and there were still some on the shelf when I left. Enjoyed one that night and man, I really missed this since it's last time around. I prefer the DFH to the ST, but really, I'm just happy to see BOTH on the shelf!!!!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I would just like to comment that surprise, surprise, the DFH 60 is nowhere to be seen in the Niagara region. I can live in Woodstock or Caledonia and have access to almost everything the LCBO has to offer,
but no no...Niagara with a population of near 500,000 people? NO BEER FOR YOU! It is this kind of 'customer service' that the LCBO provides that makes me go across the border.
End rant, its just frustrating.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

dutchcanuck wrote:I would just like to comment that surprise, surprise, the DFH 60 is nowhere to be seen in the Niagara region. I can live in Woodstock or Caledonia and have access to almost everything the LCBO has to offer,
but no no...Niagara with a population of near 500,000 people? NO BEER FOR YOU! It is this kind of 'customer service' that the LCBO provides that makes me go across the border.
End rant, its just frustrating.
Heard that! And, what is with Collingwood getting loads of this, as well as the ST? Not surprisingly, the ST is still plentiful in Collingwood.

If it wasn't so annoying, I'd find it comical.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

It is cleared out at the Coxwell and O'Connor LCBO, and not by me.

Lots of ST IPA though.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Collingwood store is an anomaly in that they always have huge quantities of the great beers...I guess it's a store manager or beer section employee that likes the stuff...more power to them...wish there were more stores like that.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

That's what I figured, too. What bothers me is that it seems to sit there, rather than sell.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:The Collingwood store is an anomaly in that they always have huge quantities of the great beers...I guess it's a store manager or beer section employee that likes the stuff...more power to them...wish there were more stores like that.
I stopped in at Laird & Eglington on the weekend & the didn't have it. When they searched the system, it looked like Collingwood had 250 on order!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The whole Niagara region is a bitch when it comes to craft beers...the stores are not on the seasonal beer program and when we try to get them to carry our General list items they basically refuse...we are powerless to do anything about it...customers need to complain and loudly as this region is a wasteland when it comes to good beer.

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

Saw a case and 3/4 sitting on the floor there today, also had the Adnams right beside it.
Collingwood does have a pretty decent selection and usually lasts long enough for me to make the trip up.
It also had the Sam Adams summer ale here earlier this year, i don't recall seeing this one in many places, if at all, in Toronto

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Well Espirit I have complained and still no beer. So I gotta go an hour out of my way to buy it across the border. Which kind of ticks me off since i have two LCBOs in walking distance. Luckily i can get some of the seasonals...some. the other...not so much.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Two of our stores (Scott St. and Pendale) get a lot, but not all, of the seasonal stuff. However, neither of them have gotten DFH or ST.

And you're right, Peter, it is a beer wasteland (save The Merchant Alehouse).

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I prefer the ST over the DH, but they are both fine beers.
Seems to be lots of DH available in Mississauga. Meadowvale has it cold for you.

Does the DH remind anyone of the Tankhouse Ale when it first came out?

This summer, I have had the good fortune of tasting Garrison IPA in Halifax , Corne du Diable in Montreal, and visited Vices et Versa in Montreal, where I had more great Quebec-brewed IPAs.
( and I still have a few bottles of Green Flash West Coast IPA )
Come on Ontario Brewers. Brew us a great American IPA.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

hopdevil wrote:...Come on Ontario Brewers. Brew us a great American IPA.
Some (Durham, Church Key, Ste.Andre, etc.) have, they just need to get it into bottles and distributed.....but I know what you mean. I would love to go to the LCBO and pick up some great, locally made, IPA.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Some (Durham, Church Key, Ste.Andre, etc.) have, they just need to get it into bottles and distributed.....but I know what you mean. I would love to go to the LCBO and pick up some great, locally made, IPA.
No disrespect intended lagerale, and I know it is a matter of personal taste, but my first reaction to this statement was "No they have not". Try a Dogfish Head or St IPA and then try one of these (in some cases very fine offerings) and they are not even close to the same style. They might be IPA's, but there are so many interpretations now - I have not tasted one Ontario version that makes me think they have nailed the U.S West Coast style.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

No disrespect taken tupalev! Of all Ontario IPA out there, I think the County Durham versions really stand out and are comparable to many American IPA's.