Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sad story from Oz

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beermat

Sad story from Oz

Post by Beermat »

No one on Ratebeer seems to have reviewed Melbourne Bitter, but here's a bloke who liked it plenty:
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... 080715?fee

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

What's the current exchange rate? I think might have a problem (and it's not Melbourne Bitter). :D

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

That just doesn't add up. As quoted in the article;
An Australian man convicted of his seventh drink-driving charge was spending about A$1,000 ($972) a week on beer -- enough to buy more than 2,500 small bottles a month, a newspaper said Tuesday.
That's an average of 83 bottles a day assuming a 30 day month. How can anyone drink that volume of alcohol and still be alive?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Well he could have been spending that kind of money drinking in a pub very easily.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

True. However even if the beer is $5 a pint in a bar then that means the guy was consuming 6+ pints a day EVERY day. Six pints in a session would do me in for a few days...I'm surprised his liver hasn't exploded.

The math also tells me that if 2500 small beer bottles costs $1000 Australian then each one is around 40 cents. That's quite a deal.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:The math also tells me that if 2500 small beer bottles costs $1000 Australian then each one is around 40 cents. That's quite a deal.
Maybe one of the standard bottle options in Oz is one that's smaller than the usual 330/341 ml bottles? Like the 195 ml (and later, 222 ml) bottles that Mill St. used to use for the Organic Lager.

crawler

Post by crawler »

The article notes it's $1000 a WEEK, not month. So 2500 beer bottles in a month is more like $4000+ which makes a bit more sense. Standard bottles in Australia are 300-341 mL, depending on the brewery (and some brewers still use stubbies there!).

Beer on draft in most of Australia is traditionally ordered in the form of a small 10 oz glass (a "pot") or a larger 15 oz glass (a "schooner"), although more bars are selling 20 oz pints also.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

crawler wrote:Beer on draft in most of Australia is traditionally ordered in the form of a small 10 oz glass (a "pot") or a larger 15 oz glass (a "schooner"), although more bars are selling 20 oz pints also.
It's actually a bit more complicated

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

inertiaboy wrote: It's actually a bit more complicated
I felt drunk just reading that chart.

crawler

Post by crawler »

I've seen that chart also, but speaking for my own time spent in Sydney / New South Wales, Melbourne / Victoria, and Adelaide / South Australia, in most places, it is usually just the 10 oz pot, the 15 oz schooner, and sometimes the 20 oz pint.

I never encountered the 10 oz in Sydney or elsewhere in NSW being called the "middy" at all, it was always called a pot, so not sure how current the references are. A pot was also a pot (10 oz) in Adelaide, they didn't call the 10 oz size a schooner.