Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Fruit Beer in Ontario?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Zymurgy

Best Fruit Beer in Ontario?

Post by Zymurgy »

I am looking at doing a beer tasting and I was wondering what people thought was the best fruit beer in Ontario?

A couple of provisos:
- must be currently available in bottle from either TBS or LCBO
- must be brewed in either Ontario or Quebec
- a fruit beer is any beer containing fruit and does not necessarily have to be fruity in profile

I know there are not that many. Off the top of my head I can only think of: McAuslan Apricot Wheat, KLB Raspberry Wheat and Great Lakes Orange Peel Ale

Thanks.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

If you're hosting a tasting of both ON and QC fruit beers, you could also try Unibroue Emphemere and St Ambroise Framboise. There is also an Amsterdam Framboise.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

At the moment I'd vote for Ephemere Apple (Unibroue).

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

1) Amsterdam Framboise
2) McAuslan Apricot Wheat
3) KLB Raspberry Wheat

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The St. Ambroise Framboise is really good, and I thought they were bringing it in every year, but no dice. Out of the current selection I'm really digging the Ephemere. As a curveball you might want to throw in a hefeweizen - sometimes the banana notes are so strong I'm convinced there's fruit in there. I decided to try a bunch of fruit beers this weekend, as I realised I hadn't tried a few, most notably the Mort Subite.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Mill Street Brewpub has a Framboise on tap right now. I am a fan of the Nickel Green Apple too.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Gotta try the Nickel Brook Green Apple with vanilla ice cream. Just pour a little over some ice cream and serve. It's fantastic. I had some at the Beer and Cocktail show a while ago and now I serve it to guests at the house after dinner.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mill Street also has Frambozen in the growlers.

My fave is Amsterdam Framboise.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Pub Style wrote:Gotta try the Nickel Brook Green Apple with vanilla ice cream. Just pour a little over some ice cream and serve. It's fantastic. I had some at the Beer and Cocktail show a while ago and now I serve it to guests at the house after dinner.
This sounds worth trying. I sampled this beer one day and was very glad I had not purchased a pint of it. I sure couldn't drink much of it but thought there was some potential use for it. Over ice cream sounds like a refreshing dessert.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Certainly not a favourite by any stretch, but I saw that Amsterdam is now bottling their Pomegranate Wheat (that I believe debuted at the C'est What Spring fest) in those 500 ml bottles they have the Blond, Nut Brown and KLB Raspberry Wheat in. I saw some today while picking up half a dozen bottles of the SI Stuart's Session at the Dupont and Spadina LCBO. Having already tried the Pom Wheat at the C'est What fest, I passed.
For interest's sake and certainly to broaden the spectrum of the tasting (if only by quantity), it may be worthy of inclusion in your tasting....

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The Green Apple Pilsner is my favourite followed by the Orange Peel.

While I recognize that the various Framboises from Ontario and Quebec are superior, I don't really care for tart or sour stuff.
lister

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Church-Key has a Cranberry-Maple Wheat right now, according to their site. (http://www.churchkeybrewing.com/retailstore.php). I'll be down there next week to confirm. And to get some delicious and wholesome Grains of Wrath.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

The Cranberry Maple has been available for years now in the late Spring / Summer and when fresh, it is great (this year's version certainly has more maple). I did not suggest it because the original poster wanted only beers available at the LCBO or Beer Store.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

tupalev wrote:(this year's version certainly has more maple). I did not suggest it because the original poster wanted only beers available at the LCBO or Beer Store.
Without the LCBO & BS stipulation, CK CMW is my number two fruity beer.

And more mapley this year? Damn, maybe we'll have to modify our return path from Buffalo & Rochester to go through the 1000 Islands border crossing instead. :wink:
lister