Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

www.afreehouse.org

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

www.afreehouse.org

Post by Rob Creighton »

We have seen the recent development of a number of websites and blogs devoted to identifying and discussing good bars in Ontario and the beers they serve. Bartowel is certainly a leader in this area.

Len Owens, the owner of the Golden Kiwi in Cambridge, has added a variation on the theme. With the help of a web developer (Gord Brydon) who is a regular at the pub, he has launched afreehouse.org.

It seems to be a chance for Len to vent some of the frustrations he has experienced as a publican in Ontario and it serves to outline the fact that Ontario is, in effect, a tiedhouse system. Len has long been a supporter of good beer and always has a great selection of craft and imported beer on tap. He has often told me that he has beers on tap that he likes and represent quality.

The website is a reaction to the contracts, deals and kickbacks that seem to dominate the pub trade in Ontario. He understands that restaurant groups and franchisees willingly enter into these agreements with big brewers and he is looking to find a way to differentiate ‘freehouses’ from those that have their tap lineup dictated to them.

As a craft brewer, I share the frustrations that Len deals with. Cambridge is dominated by chains that are locked into contracts with either the big brewers or restaurant supply groups that represent the big brewers. It is not unrealistic to say that we are competing for space on less than 5% of the taps in this city. I love how Applebee’s – the ‘neighbourhood pub’ has a deal with Molson’s that prohibits anybody’s taps but theirs (according to the regional VP I spoke with).

Len tells me his intention is to get a discussion going on why our system is the way it is and what is reality versus myth. He wasn’t surprised to read in the Star that most Ontarians think the Beer Store is owned and operated by government. He hopes to develop a listing of freehouses by city and has created a registry for you to list pubs and opinions you support. (This also gives Len and Gord a chance to check out some interesting pubs in Ontario – a journey I will jump in on whenever possible 8) ). The logo on the site is something he wants to develop as signage for bars.

As I listened to some of their ideas, I brought up some of the stories from the brewery side of the game and they are encouraging me to post some of them so you will probably hear from me as well from time to time. I hope a site devoted to exposing some of the ‘grey’ area’s of beer distribution can be successful, positive and useful. A number of pubs have already signed up and hopefully others will join in. Feel free to contribute.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Thanks for the heads up Rob. It's great to see a whole new element to our fight against the Dark Side.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Good for Len. The Kiwi is my pub of choice, being only a 15 minute stumble away.

I don't drink beer at all anywhere else in Cambridge, as I can't possibly get anything worth drinking.

BrewerDave

Post by BrewerDave »

Great idea guys. I really think and hope that the free house or open system beer movement is gaining steam in Ontario. The government makes it so difficult for so many businesses to get ahead and I applaud your efforts to take the initiative to add another voice to the discussion.

Maybe with this site and ongoing going work to come out of this site more and more people will be informed about the ongoing restrictions and legislation and make better informed and progressive decisions on what pubs and breweries they will choose to frequent.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Great news, Rob (& Len). Adding this to Bar Towel, CASK! and FreeOurBeer, it's starting to look like we've finally got a pretty nice grassroots craft beer movement taking shape in Ontario.