Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Publican House in Peterborough

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

did I miss an address?

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

Any word on whether they've opened yet? Just checking since I'll be in Peterborough this weekend. If no one has heard anything, then I'll just try to drop by and look in.

co

Post by co »

Hops,

As of last Saturday they were not open, though it appears quite close. The brewery store is all set up and the exterior of the pub has been made over but it did not appear to be up and running. The brewery store and the pub (at least from the exterior) look great. I've been eagerly anticipating this place so please let us know if you find that it's open. If not, St. Veronus makes one hell of a plan B.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

hops are your friend wrote:Any word on whether they've opened yet? Just checking since I'll be in Peterborough this weekend. If no one has heard anything, then I'll just try to drop by and look in.
You're in luck!

http://www.bartowel.com/news/archives/000427.php

After several years of red tape, renovations and more, the Publican House Brewery (300 Charlotte Street, Peterborough) will officially open for business today at 1:00 PM.

For the initial weekend, they will only be selling take-away 1.9 L growlers and delivering draught kegs to other bars and restaurants. But as of Monday, October 6th, they will be licensed for by-the-glass sales, and will be opening their on-site taproom and outdoor Beer Garden (weather permitting).

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Happened to drive by and saw it open. Grabbed a growler of Wheat and one of Pale Ale. Tried the almost-ready House Ale, which is a very nice beer that I can only describe as a fresh, hopped-up Kolsch. Very promising. It should be available in about a week.

More to follow. Gotta go get into the growlers.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

The Rouse Wheat is good. It's an American (filtered) style wheat, but is not as thin of body as many others of this style seem to be. Appealing wheat & toast aroma with a little sharpness to it (fresh berries?). Bitterness is perhaps a touch higher than most of the style, to go with the wheat/yeast dominating the flavour. Very fresh tasting. One that you could drink all day.

Sadly, I'm in no condition to accurately report on the Square Nail Pale Ale at this point.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

One last thing. The back of the growler goes like this:

House Ale 4.8%
O.C. Rouse Wheat Ale 4.5%
Square Nail Pale Ale 5.5%
Henry's Irish Ale 5.6%
Head of the Fest Lager 5.2%
Stone Wall Stout 4.6%
Real IPA 6.8% (woohoo!)
Eight or Better Belgium Style Ale 8.1%

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:
The_Jester wrote: St. Veronus (congrats on the Golden Tap), The Olde Stone, The Ritz Deli North, and now the Publican House. And Church-Key ain't too far away either.

I declare Peterborough the best per-capita beer town in Ontario!
Many people have also identified this, so it's a good time to say that there's a Bar Towel road trip to PBo and Campbellford in the works. Long time BTers know that we had a bus trip once upon a time that went westward which was quite successful. Think now's a good time to do it again. Stay tuned.

please let us know how and when we can make this happen!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:
The_Jester wrote: St. Veronus (congrats on the Golden Tap), The Olde Stone, The Ritz Deli North, and now the Publican House. And Church-Key ain't too far away either.

I declare Peterborough the best per-capita beer town in Ontario!
Many people have also identified this, so it's a good time to say that there's a Bar Towel road trip to PBo and Campbellford in the works. Long time BTers know that we had a bus trip once upon a time that went westward which was quite successful. Think now's a good time to do it again. Stay tuned.

please let us know how and when we can make this happen!!

Yes, and please include us folks here in the deep south of Ontario, not just Toronto folk and 905/416 people.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Yes, and please include us folks here in the deep south of Ontario, not just Toronto folk and 905/416 people.
"Include" you in what way?

If it's like the first Bar Towel bus trip, it's going depart and arrive from somewhere in Toronto. People from outside of Toronto are obviously more than welcome to participate, assuming they can make it into Toronto in time to show up at the departure point.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

GregClow wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Yes, and please include us folks here in the deep south of Ontario, not just Toronto folk and 905/416 people.
"Include" you in what way?

If it's like the first Bar Towel bus trip, it's going depart and arrive from somewhere in Toronto. People from outside of Toronto are obviously more than welcome to participate, assuming they can make it into Toronto in time to show up at the departure point.
I was just taking the opportunity to gripe about the fact that London sucks in terms of all things beer. :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

The Square Nail Pale Ale is excellent! Aroma is mild but pleasant (cascade), and the flavour falls somewhere in between Tankhouse and Church-Key's West Coaster. And I mean this in a good way. Outstanding bitterness throughout, with enough caramel malt to back it up. And a great finish. I am really enjoying this one, and I can see it becoming my go-to beer.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I also dropped by the brewery on Saturday to pick up a growler of the pale ale. I didn't get to try it until we got home late last night. My initial impression was that it was very good (I leave real beer reviews to others) and certainly a very welcome addition to the Peterborough beer scene.

I didn't ask many questions when I dropped by, but I did ask about the renovations to the old Peterborough Arms pub next door. The lady behind the counter at the brewery said that was 'a couple years away.' I glanced in the front door (which was open) and saw that it looked to be stripped back to the studs. As has been noted above, they do have a patio that should be open now. Hopefully the weather co-operates for a while.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

looking out for initial reviews of the beers, to see people put it in words
before I plan a day trip out there

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

northyorksammy wrote:looking out for initial reviews of the beers, to see people put it in words
before I plan a day trip out there

Sam,

You were worried about going 10 minutes out of the way to come visit me in London while visiting Railway City in very nearby St. Thomas.

But now I see you plan a "day trip" almost 3 hours away. Obviously I wasn't an important visit for you. :D :P