Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Publican House in Peterborough

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Last time I was there they just had the Square Nail in growlers and the House Ale in growlers and cans. Haven't seen the Irish Ale yet, but I haven't been in for a couple of weeks.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

flip

Post by flip »

I just got back from Peterborough. My brother and law was kind enough to pick up a couple of growlers of the Irish Ale because that's all they had. When he first mentioned the name I was assuming that it'd be a lighter stout, but it reminded me more of of an English old ale.

The ale was dark reddish brown in colour and had a some dried fruit and light oxidation on the nose. I found it had a pretty well balanced flavour: a nice mix of caramel and perhaps some other dried fruit, cut by some nice hop bitterness and sherry like oxiditive flavours that lingered aftertaste.

All in all, I found it to be a tasty brew. If you get the chance to pick it up, I'd go for it.

co

Post by co »

Unfortunately this place seems to have issues keeping a regular stock of their product. I've been here twice and both times left empty-handed. It's important to me to support crafts brewers but when they aren't keeping their beer in stock it is difficult to support them. I'm going up to Peterborough on New Year's Eve for lunch at St. Veronus and I have no intention of even stopping by the Publican. I hope they get their act together or they may not be around for us to support in the future.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

co wrote:...I have no intention of even stopping by the Publican...
co wrote:... It's important to me to support crafts brewers...
...But not important enough to go 5 minutes out of your way . . . ?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

co

Post by co »

My dedication to supporting local beer is not in question and certainly should not be put under scrutiny by someone who knows nothing of me. My issue with the Publican to date has been their inability to keep stock on their beers despite the fact that their retail beer fridge is quite literally twenty feet from where the beer is made. It is important for any business to be consistent with their product, both in quality and availability, otherwise customers don't know what to expect from the business. The reason I frequent St. Veronus is because of its consistency. I was very much looking forward to the Publican when I first heard of its imminency almost two years ago and checked their website site frequently leading up to its opening. I wish them every success and truly hope they do well. However, if we do not critique a business fairly it may not be around long term.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

It would seem simple to me to just call the Publican House if you are worried about what they will have available. A previous post said the phone number was (705) 874-5743.

While it would be great if they always had all their beers available at the brewery, I don't think that is always realistic for a small operation.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

co wrote:My dedication to supporting local beer is not in question and certainly should not be put under scrutiny by someone who knows nothing of me. . .
I do know something of you. I know that you wrote that you "have no intention of even stopping by the Publican," literally five minutes out of your way. So I responded to what you wrote.

co wrote:...I wish them every success and truly hope they do well...
Then don't give up on the place.
We are constantly lamenting the lack of good micros in this province, especially compared to our neighbours to the south. (And to the east.) So don't stop supporting them before they even get off the ground.

co wrote:...However, if we do not critique a business fairly it may not be around long term.
I think I get what you mean here. Critique away. That's your right. Yes, the Publican is having trouble keeping up with demand. But I'm sure that having to send customers away empty handed wasn't part of their business plan. So, let's give them a chance to work it out. Because they make good beer.

co

Post by co »

It's amazing how offended some people get when you post certain sentiments on this site. Perhaps I should have simply slammed the LCBO for lack of stock or poor customer service and everything would have been status quo. Simply stated I claimed to be put off that I've visited the brewery twice and both times they were out of product and/or growlers. This is a statement of fact. Anyhow, this is the last posting I'll be making on the matter. I wish the Publican well and I respect your support of their efforts. However telling me they make good beer is like hiking a blind man to the top of a mountain and telling him to appreciate the view. :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

co wrote:It's amazing how offended some people get when you post certain sentiments on this site. Perhaps I should have simply slammed the LCBO for lack of stock or poor customer service and everything would have been status quo. Simply stated I claimed to be put off that I've visited the brewery twice and both times they were out of product and/or growlers. This is a statement of fact. Anyhow, this is the last posting I'll be making on the matter. I wish the Publican well and I respect your support of their efforts. However telling me they make good beer is like hiking a blind man to the top of a mountain and telling him to appreciate the view. :wink:
I can see your point, though I might be a little more forgiving. If I made a trip to a brewery, and they were out of beer, well, I'd be somewhat disappointed. If I made that trek again, and they were out of beer again, well i'd be upset for sure. You shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure they have beer....they are a brewery, they are open for business, they should have beer. I don't phone a grocery store before going grocery shopping to make sure they have groceries. I don't phone a brewery before going to make sure they have beer.

I'd say give them another shot. third time is a charm after all.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I was just in there. The fridge is packed with Square Nail and Henry's Irish.

hops are your friend

SteelbackGuy wrote: You shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure they have beer....they are a brewery, they are open for business, they should have beer.
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the problem with calling ahead to see if they have the beer you want. We're not talking about a big brewery here. I'm sure they are very busy and sometimes not everything gets done. I expect their priorities are off-site sales first (i.e. kegs for bars and cans for the LCBO) followed by on-site sales. Some days they may not have growlers of all their beers. I've been to many brewpubs that don't have all their beers available.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

hops are your friend wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: You shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure they have beer....they are a brewery, they are open for business, they should have beer.
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the problem with calling ahead to see if they have the beer you want. We're not talking about a big brewery here. I'm sure they are very busy and sometimes not everything gets done. I expect their priorities are off-site sales first (i.e. kegs for bars and cans for the LCBO) followed by on-site sales. Some days they may not have growlers of all their beers. I've been to many brewpubs that don't have all their beers available.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think the main issue here is not having any beer at all. I have no problem calling ahead of time to see if they have the beer I want. I would have issue if they had no beer at all.The original complaint was that the brewery had no beer to sell, not once, but twice. They weren't out of a brand, they were out of beer. To use the grocery store analogy again.........if I want chicken broth, particularly Knorr, I will assume that the grocer will have some as they usually do. But if they do not, I will purchase Campbells, and then no name if need be. Bottom line is that I may not get the stock I want, but I will get some.Iif I went to the grocery and they had no brands of stock, I would chalk it up to bad luck. If I went a second time and they were out of stock again, I would be concerned. And if they wanted my business, they would do well to stock the things I wanted. At least with some consistency.

It does no good if a brewer has a full stock one day, but two days later, is sold out. Only 50%- 60% of their customers are going to be satisfied this way.If that.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

hops are your friend

SteelbackGuy wrote: While I agree with you for the most part, I think the main issue here is not having any beer at all. I have no problem calling ahead of time to see if they have the beer I want. I would have issue if they had no beer at all.The original complaint was that the brewery had no beer to sell, not once, but twice.
My reading of the initial complaints was different than yours. I interpretetd it to be that they didn't have the beer he wanted, not that they were totally out of beer. Re-reading those posts it is still not clear to me which was the case.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I don't know what the capacity at the Publican is, maybe they are just struggling to brew enough?

The Granite has been running out of growlers quite regularly in the last little while. I know they have fixed capacity and the restaurant needs to be kept stocked first, since they don't sell anybody else's beer. Rather than be pissed of (which I can be when left dry :wink: ) I'm glad to see they are experiencing so much demand. I hope they continue to prosper.

Olde School

Post by Olde School »

Stopped in on Sunday afternoon and grabbed a growler of the Square Nail and the Irish Ale. For some reason I thought the restaurant was in operation, but it is at least 2 years away. They will be running a patio this summer and at $3.50 a glass it could be a must locale. They are grabbing some local taps including Ritz Deli North, Spill Cafe and will be going on at St. Veronous.

Also stopped by the Olde Stone and it looks like they have some new equipment. The Pickwicks Bitter was tasty as usual. Mill Street now has a presence with the Organic and Wit on tap. I saw some empty kegs of the Tankhouse so I am assuming it must be on at Hot Belly Mamas. Needless to say Peterborough is becoming, or already is a great beer town!