Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Publican House in Peterborough

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

The Publican House in Peterborough

Post by The_Jester »

This isn't a pub review, so I guess it goes here.

This is all based on unconfirmed hearsay.

The Publican House in Peterborough has fired up the kettles.
They will be making a wheat beer, an IPA, and a stock ale.
It is their intention to get at least one of these into either the LCBO or TBS.
It is owned by the founder of KLB.
Eventually, there will be a restaurant, but there's just a little shop for now.
They opened briefly for Ribfest, and served some impressive beers (Denisons, Durham County, Churchkey, etc).

That's all I've got. There was a simple website for a while, but it has disappeared. This is all just stuff I've heard around town, and may not be accurate.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Sweet thanks or the news. I'm excited to hear about a potentially new Ontario IPA!

Magni

Post by Magni »

Let's hope its a hoppy little bugger.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Come on Batch #10, please make a re-appearance!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Where is it located? I thought it was to be on the site of the old Peterborough Arms, but when I drove by there earlier this month, it looked seriously uninhabited. Though I didn't take that close a look I guess.

TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Its at Charlotte and Park as I recall. And yeah, I think its at the old Peterborough Arms site. No sign up yet, but if you peek in the window you can see a few hints of a brewpub coming together.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

It is the old Peterborough Arms site, although they put an addition on the East side of the building, and are operating out of it. There are huge windows on the front of the addition, and you can pretty much see all of the brewing equipment. There were two guys working in there last time I went by (Wednesday). There is also a little reception area with a counter, cash register, etc. in the addition. I'm guessing the old house that housed the Arms is where the pub/restaurant will eventually turn up. Hopefully. (The Arms did have the best patio in Peterborough).
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Publican House Brewery

Post by Publican House Brewery »

Re PHB Batch #1 O.C. Rouse Wheat Ale:

In a word the beer is being described as "delicious". I concur.

Jon

Publican House Brewery

Post by Publican House Brewery »

Re PHB Batch#2 Square Nail Pale Ale:

"Oops, I did it again baby" - delicious.

Jon

radiomgb

Post by radiomgb »

Just heard from Jon, here is what he had to say.

Hello,

I can say with confidence that we will be open for business in September 08. Thirty days has September... We may need all of them. Lots of hoops to jump through.

We are starting with three ales. Our summer seasonal O.C. Rouse Wheat Ale 4.5%, Square Nail Pale Ale 5.5% (west coast) and our Publican House Ale 4.8%. I am a style guy and therefore I can't call it a Kolsch because one of the ingredients doesn't fit the mold. A Golden Ale perhaps? I will leave it to you folks to put it in the slot.

I just signed off on the Growler graphics. The first edition growler has eight brand boxes to tick. I expect that at least six of them will be available over the next twelve months. We will be using several yeast strains and ingredients from all over the world. And yes there is an IPA check box. Real IPA 6.8% - holy shit hops are expensive, you might have to wait for this one.

Cheers,

Jon

Sound interesting to me.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

St. Veronus (congrats on the Golden Tap), The Olde Stone, The Ritz Deli North, and now the Publican House. And Church-Key ain't too far away either.

I declare Peterborough the best per-capita beer town in Ontario!

(There are only 39 permanent residents in Peterborough under the age of 65).

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

inertiaboy wrote:Come on Batch #10, please make a re-appearance!

What's Batch #10?

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

The_Jester wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:Come on Batch #10, please make a re-appearance!

What's Batch #10?
Check out the last post in this thread

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Thanks, Inertiaboy. That's a great story.

KLB Pale Ale was once my go-to beer. I used to pick it up once a week or so from the old place on Rye Street. It never was the same once Amsterdam got their hands on it.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The_Jester wrote: St. Veronus (congrats on the Golden Tap), The Olde Stone, The Ritz Deli North, and now the Publican House. And Church-Key ain't too far away either.

I declare Peterborough the best per-capita beer town in Ontario!
Many people have also identified this, so it's a good time to say that there's a Bar Towel road trip to PBo and Campbellford in the works. Long time BTers know that we had a bus trip once upon a time that went westward which was quite successful. Think now's a good time to do it again. Stay tuned.