Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brooklyn Lager where art thou

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Brooklyn Lager where art thou

Post by lagerale »

Has anyone else noticed the absense (or close to it) of Brooklyn Lager from the LCBO shelves....well I sure have as it's been a mainstay in my fridge for some time. I emailed their local rep to see what was up and he said,

"Brooklyn Lager will be available in a week's time again .The product is general listed at the LCBO but due to a fire in the bottle facility at the brewery there was an interruption in the supply for over a month .The Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and the Post Road Pumpkin will be available at the LCBO as well the Pumpkin at the end of September and the Stout before Christmas ."

Good news indeed. Especially about the other brews, though I think there was some mention of the stout a while back.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

That's great news! The Black Chocolate Stout is an excellent I.S., as long as you age it a bit. It's a little overwhelming when fresh.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

rossolee

Post by rossolee »

Saranac(FX matt) does some of Brooklyns contract brewing, as the fire was at the Utica NY brewery.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Post Road Pumpkin? Wow, great news. Love the US pumpkins.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great news! The Brooklyn lager is a fine beer, and the appearance of a solid pumpkin ale and a fantastic imperial stout is awesome. Good digging, lagerale!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

The_Jester wrote:That's great news! The Black Chocolate Stout is an excellent I.S., as long as you age it a bit. It's a little overwhelming when fresh.
I've only had one bottle of this, at beerbistro, but not sure how old it was, however it was a great way to end our meal. Looking forward to a renewed supply of the Lager and anything else in the works....

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

lagerale wrote:Has anyone else noticed the absense (or close to it) of Brooklyn Lager from the LCBO shelves....well I sure have as it's been a mainstay in my fridge for some time. I emailed their local rep to see what was up and he said,

"Brooklyn Lager will be available in a week's time again .The product is general listed at the LCBO but due to a fire in the bottle facility at the brewery there was an interruption in the supply for over a month .The Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and the Post Road Pumpkin will be available at the LCBO as well the Pumpkin at the end of September and the Stout before Christmas ."

Good news indeed. Especially about the other brews, though I think there was some mention of the stout a while back.
the brooklyn local 1 is coming in as well, likely in the spring

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

tuqueboy wrote:the brooklyn local 1 is coming in as well, likely in the spring
The more the merrier....good to know.

Queef

Post by Queef »

great beers. great news.
it's beer o'clock.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Earlier in the summer when I was still patronizing The Rhino, I saw Brooklyn IPA on their bottle list and ordered a couple. Excellent beer, but it was gone the next time I asked for it and I haven't seen it since. Has anybody else come across it?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I saw a fair bit of it in Vancouver when I was there. Lots of private stores are carrying most of the Brooklyn line. Doesn't help folks here though.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Actually, I was at The Rhino after my ballgame last night and they carry Brooklyn India Pale Ale, Wiess, Pennant Ale, a brown Brooklyn beer and a strong (9%) Brooklyn offering. 'Course they don't neccessarily have all those beers at any one time. The Pennant Ale was pretty good, but not up there with the Lager or IPA.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It's become both a game and a joke to purchase bottled beers at the Rhino. My last visit there turned into my own personal version of Monty Python's "Cheese Shop" sketch. Not such a fun game to play when the place is packed because every request has to be looked for before they say they're out and that often takes 15 minutes per request. I once sent the waitress into the stock room with a list of six beers so she could check all at once and she STILL came back empty handed.

Oh well, if you manage to get lucky and find one you feel like you've won a little beer lottery (especially in light of the fair prices).
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I was at the Rhino a couple weeks back with a hundred or so Canada supporters before the Canada - Jamaica World Cup qualifier.

The server actually did a great job considering the circumstances. I had good luck with my bottle choices, including the St Ambroise Vintage (though they understated the alcohol content on the menu by around 60% - oops).

I was pleased to see those around me trying a bunch of different beers. The table beside must have ordered a bunch of various beers that they didn't have, because the server came back with a milk crate full of various Belgians, letting them take their choice. Good idea.

'Tis true that the menu needs updating. The menu still said that the cask was Durham Hop Head (and the server concurred) though the bartender said it was their ESB, which is quite a different beast.

Get the fish and chips. Fresh, hand battered, and under $8. I love the Rhino.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Still no sign of the Brooklyn Lager. :evil:
"Everything's better with monkeys!"