Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brick to launch specialty import portfolio

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

thanks for the link..that was timely...I remember reading about the dispute a long time ago...
did not know it only just got settled..

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote:
JesseM wrote:
Well, I guess the Brick has to redeem themselves somehow, seeing as ALL their products are pretty sub-standard now. I just met a guy who used to work for them who told me he never drinks anything from Brick other than the Red Baron and Laker because they're the only two actually brewed at the main location in Waterloo, everything else is Formosa and is beyond sketchy :o .
It's too bad. One would have hoped it's not THAT difficult to brew average-person beer that is drinkable. Weird-tasting 'craft' beer does NOT help draw new people away from Coors Miller and Molson, it confuses the issue.
Yes, exactly.

Another thing that sort of annoys me is the similar situation, like, take Sleeman's for example, who really don't make anything remotely decent, yet claim to make craft beer, and the average Ontario drinker just eats that up and proclaims Sleeman's to be the "good stuff". It just frustrates me (although I guess something from Sleeman's is a TINY step up from something like Canadian or Blue, though such a tiny step it's not nearly worth taking IMO). Just something I've seen in my own experiences.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Bobsy wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:
bujubanton wrote:did brick win its battle with TBS for the right to sell Red Cap in stubbies? I remember it was a long legal fight...
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Money/2008/09/03/6647201.html
Freaky... do the gods read bartowel?
I'm one god that does, but I don't do TBS settelements. :lol:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

In my few trips trolling lowland bars, Palm was passable, but basically the local version of Rickards. It's at least better than Heineken or Stella. I did like the fact that bars that offered it would go through the motions of the Belgian beer service with the right glass, and delivery etc. Even if the beer was non-descript, the ceremony showed a little bit of care.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

At least it's not Jupiler ... ha ha. But yes, I did enjoy the ceremony given to even the humble Palm in Belgium.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Saw a six pack of Palm at my local LCBO yesterday and took one home!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:The Henninger, Celis and Andechs efforts had limited runs (and effort/success?) and Brick has gone from their own sales force to joining with/owning a sales agency to back to their own sales force (under Croft). Very sketchy results over the years. For Palm, the issue is strong LCBO representation as I don't expect to see big draught efforts.

I view the Sleeman representation of Sam Adams as getting control of the only 'craft' competition your size in order to limit their success on your turf. Why Jim Koch would fall for this, I have no idea.
Why did I know you'd have an opinion to share on this Rob. :wink:

My take on this corporate alignment is that it is just another unimaginative half measure made by the boardroom brains to "get a piece" of the craft/import market without the risk of entering the market with Brick-brewed entries. Being an import associate is easier than brewing decent craft beer...which the Brick gave up on...now all they do is try to BS gullible consumers their weak watery sudz are actually craft beer because of the marketing and their OCB presense.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Digging up this old thread to note that the deal between Latis/Palm and Brick seems to have bitten the dust.

I got an email this morning announcing that Palm is now being repped in Ontario by McClelland, and all references to Palm have been removed from the Brick website.